What do you do? Cop shows up to door saying they want your child to come out...

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Heres the scenario I saw. A kid of about 15 is riding his bike when the cops start to follow them. Kid goes home and the cop says they want to write the kid a ticket for riding a bike without a helmet. Parents ask why there are about 7 cops on his lawn for a ticket.

Cop says they chased the kid and he needs to come out like "a big boy". Parents send their child outside who is then arrested and taken away.

In the comments it was suggested that the parents should've just not answered the door and / or force them to get a warrant to access the home if a helmet violation was such a big deal.

In this situation are you required to come out of your home?

So they lied about it being a ticket and arrested him?
Is this a hypothetical, or did it happen?

It really happened.

@ Sassy, you know they make up charges. This is not a new thing.

They said they were going to write a ticket for riding without a helmet but showed up with 7 other cops. Telling the parents to send out the child. Once the child walked out they turned his around, handcuffed him and took him away. They didn't say why other than the helmet violation

Heres the scenario I saw. A kid of about 15 is riding his bike when the cops start to follow them. Kid goes home and the cop says they want to write the kid a ticket for riding a bike without a helmet. Parents ask why there are about 7 cops on his lawn for a ticket.

Cop says they chased the kid and he needs to come out like "a big boy". Parents send their child outside who is then arrested and taken away.

In the comments it was suggested that the parents should've just not answered the door and / or force them to get a warrant to access the home if a helmet violation was such a big deal.

Say they can come back when they have a warrant and slam the door.

I was ticketed for riding my horse when I was ten. The judge didn't think much of the whole affair and charged me five bucks.

It really happened.

They said they were going to write a ticket for riding without a helmet but showed up with 7 other cops. Telling the parents to send out the child. Once the child walked out they turned his around, handcuffed him and took him away. They didn't say why other than the helmet violation

Sounds like he was wanted for something else besides a helmet violation. Hard to tell without a link.

I would have called my husband and I'm sure he would have told me to ask for a warrant. I'll ask him later

It really happened.

Sounds like he was wanted for something else besides a helmet violation. Hard to tell without a link.

I would have called my husband and I'm sure he would have told me to ask for a warrant. I'll ask him later

The father was there and was threatened with arrest for obstructing an investigation while filming. At one point one cop walked up 2 steps and was stopped by the other cop which leads me to believe going in the house was a valid option

Hopefully, if the cops did do as the OP described, they have a damn serious crime to charge the boy with. Like it or not, cops are allowed to tell lies when it helps to catch a perp.

Without a warrant they cannot enter the premises unless invited or they can establish probable cause, such as pursuit. Since they were in pursuit, they could have entered the home without a warrant to search or one for arrest.

The suspect was given the opportunity to surrender, which was taken. Had the parents refused, they would have then been subject to charges, such as interfering with law enforcement, aiding and abetting, etc.

Well, when the left pass oppressive laws like helmets and seat belts in the name of safety for all ,you will have some consequences. :lol:

Without a warrant they cannot enter the premises unless invited or they can establish probable cause, such as pursuit. Since they were in pursuit, they could have entered the home without a warrant to search or one for arrest.

The suspect was given the opportunity to surrender, which was taken. Had the parents refused, they would have then been subject to charges, such as interfering with law enforcement, aiding and abetting, etc.

LOL I sort of laughed at the idea of seven cops chasing a kid on a bike

Yep, and the parents have the right to tell the child "do not say anything to them without me present".

"One moment Officer, let me see if he's home." *Close door, go watch Netflix*

Forum List

Back