CDZ What do you care about?

But still better than just letting the problem grow and spread and fester unrestrained.
No "problem" can be solved without determining the cause of the problem. Putting a band aid on an artery won't stop you from dying.
People are no longer put in asylums due to the abuse by workers and abandonment by families who used legalese to have family members committed, in essence ignoring the person they're allegedly helping-
Yes, to those with homes homelessness is a problem and of course there are going to be media stories about homelessness, but, what caused that person to get there in the first place? Are you saying being homeless should be made criminal and incarcerated (which costs tax payers money) is the answer? That's pretty generous of you with Other Peoples Money-

Many people are often accused of not caring about the poor, oppressed, etc. Is this really true, or is it more a case of them caring more about solutions than just focusing on the problems? A good example of this is the issue of homelessness. We know that a very large percentage of the homeless are mentally ill and/or substance dependent, and that they prefer living outside to restrictive shelters. We all may decry this situation, but what solutions (that haven't been tried and failed before) do you support?

Do you care more about the problem or the solution?

Lock up the crazy ones, in nut houses.

Lock up the criminal ones in prisons.

That should reduce the problem to manageable levels.
Who gets to determine which ones are crazy and if not crimes have been prosecuted you cannot just call someone a criminal (unless of course you are a Trump hating tard).

1. Doctors. Often with referrals from family and friends.

2. Yes, the criminals need to be caught in a crime and then arrested and prosecuted and then locked up. Thanks for stating the obvious. Seriously. What led you to thinking that needed to be said?
I've personally experienced how corrupt the systems can be so I get pretty leery when the bureaucracies are given power to lock people up on other peoples say so.

I like the idea better of learning what the underlying problems are that put people into the homeless situations. Over the years we met a lot of homeless people on the road or stuck on the roads trying to figure out what to do. I only recall one of those that was actually on the mental side. The others needed a little help for one reason or another. Some were just a little slow but still good people.

But still better than just letting the problem grow and spread and fester unrestrained.
No "problem" can be solved without determining the cause of the problem. Putting a band aid on an artery won't stop you from dying.
People are no longer put in asylums due to the abuse by workers and abandonment by families who used legalese to have family members committed, in essence ignoring the person they're allegedly helping-
Yes, to those with homes homelessness is a problem and of course there are going to be media stories about homelessness, but, what caused that person to get there in the first place? Are you saying being homeless should be made criminal and incarcerated (which costs tax payers money) is the answer? That's pretty generous of you with Other Peoples Money-

1. The abuse of the previous system of locking up crazy people, does not mean that dangerously crazy people should not be locked up. That is not a "cause" but an abuse of power in the past.

2. Nope. I'm saying that many of the homeless are criminals who commit crimes, that in a sane world, would get them locked up as criminals.

Many people are often accused of not caring about the poor, oppressed, etc. Is this really true, or is it more a case of them caring more about solutions than just focusing on the problems? A good example of this is the issue of homelessness. We know that a very large percentage of the homeless are mentally ill and/or substance dependent, and that they prefer living outside to restrictive shelters. We all may decry this situation, but what solutions (that haven't been tried and failed before) do you support?

Who gets to determine which ones are crazy and if not crimes have been prosecuted you cannot just call someone a criminal (unless of course you are a Trump hating tard).

2. Yes, the criminals need to be caught in a crime and then arrested and prosecuted and then locked up. Thanks for stating the obvious. Seriously. What led you to thinking that needed to be said?
I've personally experienced how corrupt the systems can be so I get pretty leery when the bureaucracies are given power to lock people up on other peoples say so.

I like the idea better of learning what the underlying problems are that put people into the homeless situations. Over the years we met a lot of homeless people on the road or stuck on the roads trying to figure out what to do. I only recall one of those that was actually on the mental side. The others needed a little help for one reason or another. Some were just a little slow but still good people.

I've known two homeless guys. ONe guys seemed ok, and eventually put his life back together.

The other was a complete mental basket case. When they finally got him into a half way house, he kept starting fires, by leaving the stove on, because, I think, he could connect fire with warm, but could not understand the wall thermostat.

He was not capable of living unsupervised. He should have been put in a nuthouse, where he was fed and housed, and provided with structure to try to live some form of existence.

I've known two homeless guys. ONe guys seemed ok, and eventually put his life back together.

The other was a complete mental basket case. When they finally got him into a half way house, he kept starting fires, by leaving the stove on, because, I think, he could connect fire with warm, but could not understand the wall thermostat.

He was not capable of living unsupervised. He should have been put in a nuthouse, where he was fed and housed, and provided with structure to try to live some form of existence.
Undoubtedly some people need a place but I do not think you can just try to catchall with one big program. Our country has spent so much money on revamping poverty areas throughout and that in itself made many homeless as unscrupulous developers and contractors all worked to get their share of that grant pie.

Undoubtedly some people need a place but I do not think you can just try to catchall with one big program. Our country has spent so much money on revamping poverty areas throughout and that in itself made many homeless as unscrupulous developers and contractors all worked to get their share of that grant pie.

1. Wanting to commit dangerous crazy individuals is not a catchall. It is based on the dangerously crazy individual being evaluated individually, by a doctor that will be held responsible for his judgement. My understanding is that this would be a very large segment of the homeless population.

2. I am open to discussions on lowering house costs. It seems like a valid issue.

3. I also think that we should reevaluate some social structures. IMO, there is a lot to be said for multi generational homes. I love the concept of the "mother in law wing".

1. Wanting to commit dangerous crazy individuals is not a catchall. It is based on the dangerously crazy individual being evaluated individually, by a doctor that will be held responsible for his judgement. My understanding is that this would be a very large segment of the homeless population.

2. I am open to discussions on lowering house costs. It seems like a valid issue.

3. I also think that we should reevaluate some social structures. IMO, there is a lot to be said for multi generational homes. I love the concept of the "mother in law wing".
Sorry too many personal experiences even very recent ones that make me very leery of letting doctors and bureaucracies to make it easy to lock someone up for what they perceive as mental issues. Doctors are rarely held responsible for their errors and omissions plus on a whole most are a prideful arrogant lot. (most not all, I do know a few that I highly prize their opinions but those are rare finds)

If a person is a criminal they need to be locked up. We agree on that but let's make sure they are really criminals. For me I am curious about the case where guy who just got fifteen years for setting the Gay Pride banner alight. He was interviewed but the video had him silenced so we never got to hear his side only an aggressive prosecutors side of that whole affair. As you may already know I do not trust the judiciary either and for good cause as they assisted in covering for major bank fraud against Rod and I and the certified court transcripts were not true and correct (we still have the proof of that in the court proceeding recordings). You may or may not know I've had neighbors who have threatened me and called me a criminal, etc. but they were actually making up Quit Claim deeds to my land and they had help in the bureaucracies here helping them do it.

Per making affordable housing. I think that is an excellent idea but it should be tightly regulated. Too many millionaires and billionaires scamming that whole grant system too. That is part of California's problems (happening in other urban areas too). They need to keep those section 8 complexes full so they want to keep the illegals rolling in. It seems to me it would be better to have local areas designate that private property owners could be building small tax free units for those in need.

Yes on family taking care of their elderly. My dad built a whole walk out basement apartment for his mom.

Sorry too many personal experiences even very recent ones that make me very leery of letting doctors and bureaucracies to make it easy to lock someone up for what they perceive as mental issues. Doctors are rarely held responsible for their errors and omissions plus on a whole most are a prideful arrogant lot. (most not all, I do know a few that I highly prize their opinions but those are rare finds)

If a person is a criminal they need to be locked up. We agree on that but let's make sure they are really criminals. For me I am curious about the case where guy who just got fifteen years for setting the Gay Pride banner alight. He was interviewed but the video had him silenced so we never got to hear his side only an aggressive prosecutors side of that whole affair. As you may already know I do not trust the judiciary either and for good cause as they assisted in covering for major bank fraud against Rod and I and the certified court transcripts were not true and correct (we still have the proof of that in the court proceeding recordings). You may or may not know I've had neighbors who have threatened me and called me a criminal, etc. but they were actually making up Quit Claim deeds to my land and they had help in the bureaucracies here helping them do it.

Per making affordable housing. I think that is an excellent idea but it should be tightly regulated. Too many millionaires and billionaires scamming that whole grant system too. That is part of California's problems (happening in other urban areas too). They need to keep those section 8 complexes full so they want to keep the illegals rolling in. It seems to me it would be better to have local areas designate that private property owners could be building small tax free units for those in need.

Yes on family taking care of their elderly. My dad built a whole walk out basement apartment for his mom.

1. Tax free for small units, sounds like a good place to start.

2. A lot of the expense of caring for the elderly is extended care. Quite often if the house was set up for it, a semi-independence could be extended for years, if someone was close enough to share meals and fill pill minders.

3. The same unit could also be used by young children as a start for independence.

4. and someday, when "you" don't want to do stairs either, it could be your turn.

I would like to see what America's personal debt picture would look like, if we were not so into jumping houses so much.

2. A lot of the expense of caring for the elderly is extended care. Quite often if the house was set up for it, a semi-independence could be extended for years, if someone was close enough to share meals and fill pill minders.

3. The same unit could also be used by young children as a start for independence.

4. and someday, when "you" don't want to do stairs either, it could be your turn.

I would like to see what America's personal debt picture would look like, if we were not so into jumping houses so much.
My grandmother lived their for almost fifteen years. Sounds bad when one says basement but it actually opened into a beautiful full length patio with flower beds, a water fall, a lawn and then the river below.

Here even in the small town we live by there are a few homeless that have been roaming around for years. Not sure exactly how or where they live. One stays part time in the store parking lot and the store hires him for clean up. I love our grocery store here as most of the people there are very thoughtful even if there are some very corrupt people in other areas here.

For many elderly and disabled now parks have became their homes in their vehicles and that should also be an option for those who want to go that route. I personally think providing more allowances for the park systems to help those who are low income and in need would be a wise investment.

My grandmother lived their for almost fifteen years. Sounds bad when one says basement but it actually opened into a beautiful full length patio with flower beds, a water fall, a lawn and then the river below.

Here even in the small town we live by there are a few homeless that have been roaming around for years. Not sure exactly how or where they live. One stays part time in the store parking lot and the store hires him for clean up. I love our grocery store here as most of the people there are very thoughtful even if there are some very corrupt people in other areas here.

For many elderly and disabled now parks have became their homes in their vehicles and that should also be an option for those who want to go that route. I personally think providing more allowances for the park systems to help those who are low income and in need would be a wise investment.

Mmm, I fear the park system could become less accessible to the rest of us, if that became too big a thing.

A similar move with "tiny homes" could fill the same role.

Mmm, I fear the park system could become less accessible to the rest of us, if that became too big a thing.

Areas could be expanded or even new areas could be established to accommodate those with needs.

I have considered at looked frequently at the tiny homes. Back in the 40's there were places called courts which had small individual apartment like structures. My grandmother owned one and as a child we stayed in them often when my dad traveled from job to job. Prior to that we actually lived in a tent part time but that was when you could pull off the road and just setup a big tent and camp. Again developers and greed ended all of that.

Back in Idaho in the county my parents are in a county where people cannot divide their land easily. Those local laws and restrictions were established to protect the investments of those real estate buffs and developers who had planned ahead. They developed and divided their land and then push for laws so no one else could. That happened in areas all over the country too. It will be up to community minded people to correct issues like that and over taxation which prevents people from keeping homes. Which brings up all these bonds that legislators, supervisors and council members throughout have burdened property owners with. For some reason many of them get into those positions and act like money is free and it grows on trees. I can not imagine paying over $300.00 a month for a water bill but that is what some are paying here in the town near us.

Down in California and in Florida they have made it unaffordable for people to build or maintain existing buildings that are already housing units or could be turned into housing units.

Also across the country I watched the feds sell off assets dirt cheap in areas that could have been utilized to help stem the affordable housing issues.

a matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome
One man's trash is another man's treasure- as for your example you're correct- but, isn't the bigger question why is it happening?

We know why it (homelessness) is happening: Mental illness, substance abuse and/or availability of free food and squatting space. (People who have simply lost their jobs can access plenty of temporary "safety net" resources.)

We also know the solution: Appropriate treatment programs and temporary camping facilities. However, our courts have prohibited mandatory participation in such programs and enforcement of vagrancy laws if the individuals involved not not have alternative housing available to them.

To deal with these restrictions, we need to make permanent housing available to these people so that we can enforce our vagrancy laws. Then offenders can be placed under court-ordered supervision and required to participate in appropriate treatment programs (under restrictive conditions, if necessary).

P.S. The argument that this would simply fill our jails with the homeless is unfounded. People who eschew homeless shelters are certainly not going to prefer jail to less restrictive housing.

Last edited:
a matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome
One man's trash is another man's treasure- as for your example you're correct- but, isn't the bigger question why is it happening?

We know why it (homelessness) is happening: Mental illness, substance abuse and/or availability of free food and camping space. (People who have simply lost their jobs can access plenty of temporary "safety net" resources.)

We also know the solution: Appropriate treatment programs and temporary camping facilities. However, our courts have prohibited mandatory participation in such programs and enforcement of vagrancy laws if the individuals involved not not have alternative housing available to them.

To deal with these restrictions, we need to make permanent housing available to these people so that we can enforce our vagrancy laws. Then offenders can be placed under court-ordered supervision and required to participate in appropriate treatment programs (under restrictive conditions, if necessary).

P.S. The argument that this would simply fill our jails with the homeless is unfounded. People who eschew homeless shelters are certainly not going to prefer jail to less restrictive housing.
That just reminded me about a bit of info I didn't even know about until I went checking my name online last year. Apparently I lived in a men's homeless shelter for a brief period of time in a different state than where we are.... Damn, I mean really how many Hispanic men have a definite female name do y'all know? The country still needs a throughout house cleaning and politicians and bureaucrats including the judges who refused to do that need to go the way of the dinosaur.

Areas could be expanded or even new areas could be established to accommodate those with needs.

I have considered at looked frequently at the tiny homes. Back in the 40's there were places called courts which had small individual apartment like structures. My grandmother owned one and as a child we stayed in them often when my dad traveled from job to job. Prior to that we actually lived in a tent part time but that was when you could pull off the road and just setup a big tent and camp. Again developers and greed ended all of that.

Back in Idaho in the county my parents are in a county where people cannot divide their land easily. Those local laws and restrictions were established to protect the investments of those real estate buffs and developers who had planned ahead. They developed and divided their land and then push for laws so no one else could. That happened in areas all over the country too. It will be up to community minded people to correct issues like that and over taxation which prevents people from keeping homes. Which brings up all these bonds that legislators, supervisors and council members throughout have burdened property owners with. For some reason many of them get into those positions and act like money is free and it grows on trees. I can not imagine paying over $300.00 a month for a water bill but that is what some are paying here in the town near us.

Down in California and in Florida they have made it unaffordable for people to build or maintain existing buildings that are already housing units or could be turned into housing units.

Also across the country I watched the feds sell off assets dirt cheap in areas that could have been utilized to help stem the affordable housing issues.

Last year I toured an odd private museum built by an eccentric millionaire who initially had insane plans to build a enormous house on his land, but could not because of issues with dividing up lots. He still built absurdly big, but much smaller than originally planned. Which was a shame, because I would have loved to see what his original plan had turned out like.

I have never heard from the other side of this issue, the stated reasons for such tight control of land usage and what they are, or at least claim to be afraid of.

it might reduce the problem to manageable levels, but it would absolutely decimate the roster of regular usmb participants.

I am not sure if this is an either or...you can care about both.

Too many problems like this are complex. Homelessness has a lot of causes and those causes might be different in different communities. Any solution has to look at the whole community and that might include the fact some people do prefer to live that way. So the ideal solution would be reducing it by working with those who can be helped and engaging in harm reduction with those who can't such as soup kitchens.

Good Republican solution. Just make being homeless a crime, then lock them all up.

If you’re a blob supporter you only care about the homeless problem in blue states and blaming anyone who isn’t overtly and full throatedly politically aligned with the blob. If you’re a democrat, you only seek to blame anyone other than the homeless for their plight.
I saw that movie, the blob. Very cheesy, kinda like progressives.

Good Republican solution. Just make being homeless a crime, then lock them all up.

Good liberal response. Just make up shit, and then attack me, based on the shit you just made up.

Forum List

Back