What Are Your Internet Manners?

Oh brother.

I absolutely do NOT talk to people in real life the way I talk to folks on the interwebz, especially not the way I talk to them here at USMB.

I speak the same truths here and out in the real world. But HERE, civility is reserved only for those who demonstrate it. And even some who have been generally civil in their discourse get incivility in return from me if they express mindless and outlandish views and spout gibberish as though they were reciting actual "facts."

In the real world, civility distinguishes us from lower life forms. Here? Pfft. The guys to whom I speak to uncivilly very frequently ARE lower life forms! :razz:

Well, I dun truely think anyone here is "beneath me", Liability, no matter how badly I insult them. There are some -- like you, and Kat and Allie -- I usually disagree with and usually vehemently. But if all we ever did was abuse one another, I could not learn from you.

There's prolly no one here I have abused as much as I have Willow, and yet right now we are discussing manufacturer liability (the thread about a fat McDonald's employee). Civility is what makes that convo even possible and hearing her POV allows me to clarify my own thinking. I might not decide to move closer to her opinion, but if I don't, at least it isn't because I am locked into my own without reasoning it through.

If we aren't here to benefit from one another's life experience and wisdom, then why?

Because there's nothing good on tv?

Get cable. I assure you, many tv shows are more entertaining if that's all you're after.

Well, I dun truely think anyone here is "beneath me", Liability, no matter how badly I insult them. There are some -- like you, and Kat and Allie -- I usually disagree with and usually vehemently. But if all we ever did was abuse one another, I could not learn from you.

There's prolly no one here I have abused as much as I have Willow, and yet right now we are discussing manufacturer liability (the thread about a fat McDonald's employee). Civility is what makes that convo even possible and hearing her POV allows me to clarify my own thinking. I might not decide to move closer to her opinion, but if I don't, at least it isn't because I am locked into my own without reasoning it through.

If we aren't here to benefit from one another's life experience and wisdom, then why?

Well, Maddy, perhaps there aren't many beneath you!

Did ya ever stop to think it through?

:eusa_angel:

I meant, I'm not here to establish my ego, Liability. There are no doubt message boards crawling with nothing but liberals, who would (mostly) agree with whatever I said....I dun choose to belong to one because when you or Quantum Windbag or DiveCon etc, ask me to defend my POV, I sometimes see gaps in my reasoning, or uncover a bias I wasn't aware of.

Besides, it's more fun to debate anything with someone who disagrees. If we agree, I dun even see how that qualifies as a "debate".

Actually, many of your posts reveal that one of your purposes here IS to "establish" your ego. Kinda sad. It ought to have been established long ago.

But I will give you this much, Maddy. You actually HAVE demonstrated a willingness to at least consider the possibility that you could have been wrong. And for that, I say "good on you."

Yeah yeah. That expression is ghey. Oh well. But "good on you," anyway.

Because there's nothing good on tv?

Get cable. I assure you, many tv shows are more entertaining if that's all you're after.

Tonight? You just may be right....

Well, Maddy, perhaps there aren't many beneath you!

Did ya ever stop to think it through?

:eusa_angel:

I meant, I'm not here to establish my ego, Liability. There are no doubt message boards crawling with nothing but liberals, who would (mostly) agree with whatever I said....I dun choose to belong to one because when you or Quantum Windbag or DiveCon etc, ask me to defend my POV, I sometimes see gaps in my reasoning, or uncover a bias I wasn't aware of.

Besides, it's more fun to debate anything with someone who disagrees. If we agree, I dun even see how that qualifies as a "debate".

Actually, many of your posts reveal that one of your purposes here IS to "establish" your ego. Kinda sad. It ought to have been established long ago.

But I will give you this much, Maddy. You actually HAVE demonstrated a willingness to at least consider the possibility that you could have been wrong. And for that, I say "good on you."

Yeah yeah. That expression is ghey. Oh well. But "good on you," anyway.

Thankies. If all I wanted was a reaction, I'd get a Wii. I like you, Liability. I think you have a good heart, and I am 100% sure you are not 12. So the fact that we disagree intrigues me.

I'm nosey by nature...I want to know how you could have good intentions and yet not come to some of the same conclusions as me. My sense is, it's because you see things from a completely different POV, and that makes you interesting.

Who I am on USMB is who I am generally IRL. I try not to use bad language ... but every now and again someone posts something that just royally pisses me off and I temporarily turn into a sailor who has just had his pecker maced while getting his nuts cracked. If I've got an issue to take up with someone I try to do it through PM rather than public castigation. Some threads I don't open at all because of who's named as OP ... it's usually the same old BS all the time, generally on the same subject.

I guess I say pretty much what I mean ... and mean what I say.

I think we almost all mostly type no different than we speak, Granny. A few are so elegant, you can tell they do a lot of business writing -- Toro, Trajan, editec -- but mostly I think people are as represented, with the exception of the Liars.

I can assure you, I curse this much IRL and always have -- but I do try to curb it in front of the children, etc.

I try hard to write and speak "correctly." Considering, I don't have much education, I think I do a fairly good job. For those who pay attention, I'm not contradicting myself when I say I went to top-notch schools but I'm not educated. I lost 4 whole years of primary school while I was in my orphan life ... they didn't particularly look on education as a high priority ... we were never going to amount to anything anyway. Leaving a sequestered isolated environment and then being suddenly thrown into a real school system was very hard on me. I never quite "got it" because I had no basic instruction to begin with.

Who I am on USMB is who I am generally IRL. I try not to use bad language ... but every now and again someone posts something that just royally pisses me off and I temporarily turn into a sailor who has just had his pecker maced while getting his nuts cracked. If I've got an issue to take up with someone I try to do it through PM rather than public castigation. Some threads I don't open at all because of who's named as OP ... it's usually the same old BS all the time, generally on the same subject.

I pretty much listen: I appreciate a rapier wit as much as I do someone who cannot be content to let others guess how stupid they are; they must constantly prove it.

Samson, my love ... you know I have a rapier wit ... when I take a notion to be "witty." :lol::lol:

Tonight? You just may be right....

Conan O'Brien is on in less than an hour on TBS. That might be worth a watch.

Mebbe. So far that redhead doesn't do a thing for me.

carrot-top-main.jpg

I think we almost all mostly type no different than we speak, Granny. A few are so elegant, you can tell they do a lot of business writing -- Toro, Trajan, editec -- but mostly I think people are as represented, with the exception of the Liars.

I can assure you, I curse this much IRL and always have -- but I do try to curb it in front of the children, etc.

I try hard to write and speak "correctly." Considering, I don't have much education, I think I do a fairly good job. For those who pay attention, I'm not contradicting myself when I say I went to top-notch schools but I'm not educated. I lost 4 whole years of primary school while I was in my orphan life ... they didn't particularly look on education as a high priority ... we were never going to amount to anything anyway. Leaving a sequestered isolated environment and then being suddenly thrown into a real school system was very hard on me. I never quite "got it" because I had no basic instruction to begin with.

I pretty much listen: I appreciate a rapier wit as much as I do someone who cannot be content to let others guess how stupid they are; they must constantly prove it.

Samson, my love ... you know I have a rapier wit ... when I take a notion to be "witty." :lol::lol:

You are the only other orphan I have ever met online, Granny. I'd say whatever your knowledge gaps may have been, you have filled them.

I believe you, Kat. And this might be Annie's issue as well...all "bad words". You have a certain persona that would make me feel positively crappy for using such language towards you -- so does Pixie, and a few others. I dun share your sensitivity, obviously, but if I did, I wouldn't put "c*nt" at the top of the heap. So what if someone calls me a chick?

I ain't ashamed to be one.

I am not trying to be critical of anyone, and it is not all bad words, but there are certain words that make me cringe..literally. I have become pretty good at scanning, and seeing them, yet not really seeing them. You can call it sensitivity, but I don't think that is what it is.

Words are words, we make of them what we will based on our paradigm. I choose to try not to let words bother me so as not to project my conceptual constructs on others.

I gotcha :)

And though I do not roam USMB looking for words that may offend me, I do like manners.
One of the biggest reasons I see for no real debating here is the use of words. Once the vile name calling starts..that is the end of that.

I am not trying to be critical of anyone, and it is not all bad words, but there are certain words that make me cringe..literally. I have become pretty good at scanning, and seeing them, yet not really seeing them. You can call it sensitivity, but I don't think that is what it is.

Words are words, we make of them what we will based on our paradigm. I choose to try not to let words bother me so as not to project my conceptual constructs on others.

I gotcha :)

And though I do not roam USMB looking for words that may offend me, I do like manners.
One of the biggest reasons I see for no real debating here is the use of words. Once the vile name calling starts..that is the end of that.

Yeah, but that's half the fun..... :lol:

By the way, shouldn't we be talking about computers in this forum?
Soooooo, what do you all think of the new Sandy Bridge Architecture Intel just previewed?

On the subject of posting manners on here.
the PM's are much worse than the open posts.
I was recently wished to die a painful death by someone who will remain nameless.
Over an Avatar.

And they know I AM dying a painful death.

May their god have mercy on their dark soul.

We do need the ingore PM's from specific posters option.

Enough seriousness for now, back to fun.

Last edited:
I was recently wished to die a painful death by someone who will remain nameless.
Over an Avatar.

:(:(:(

fuckers

Over an Avatar.

:(:(:(

fuckers

The same rules that control posts also control PMs. This sort of cruelty should not be tolerated.

Forum List

Back