What are you listening to?

Lucy, those poignant Miles Davis classics have stood the test of time.

Miles Davis was actually a genius, "Kind Of Blue" is possibly the greatest Modal Jazz album ever recorded, also "Sketches of Spain" is a masterpiece.

Yes,lovely.

I sit here in Central Europe, on dark winter nights, drinking red wine, listening to Jazz Fm. Some great tracks.

I was supposed to be going out this morning, it's so cold though I think I stay in and have a quadruple Espresso and listen to "Sketches of Spain" and then listen to Sun Ra and His Solar Arkestra "Other Planes of There" released in 1966 on Saturn Records.

Kid A aged four years of age is getting to like this stuff, I gave him a crash course early on when he was two years of age when I made him sit through Archie Shepp's "The Magic of Ju-Ju" released in 1967 on Impulse! Records and Roscoe Mitchell's "Sound" released in 1966 on Delmark Records.

Pogo likes Jazz but I know he cannot handle my obsession with Free Jazz.

I hate Swing Jazz and I also hate New Orleans Dixieland Jazz, I would prefer as a choice to have a nine inch nail hammered into my forehead than have to listen to Swing Jazz or New Orleans Jazz.

I'm going out later, after coffees, and Brit TV (the best). Christmas Markets up and running.

Giraffes? Giraffes!: "I Am SH(im)e[r] As You Am SH(im)e[r] As You Are Me And We Am I And I Are All Together"

Your basic "math rock" from Massachusetts, with a cameo by Alan Watts.....

Ornette Coleman "Chronology" from the album "The Shape of Jazz To Come" released in 1959 on Atlantic Records.

Some excellent Cornet from Don Cherry on this.

What have you been listening to Pogo ? For the past week I exclusively been listening to Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler and more Sandy Denny Demos.

Sandy Denny "The Pond and The Stream" from "I've Always Kept A Unicorn - The Acoustic Sandy Denny" released in 2016 on 180gram 2 X LP on Island Records. This demo was recorded in February 1970 at the Sound Techniques Studios, London, England.

I'm definitely listening to Oosie's Sandy Denny posts :)

Was immersed in this recently around the anniversary of JFK assassination, doing a remix. Very powerful song.

Jim Glover and Jean Ray were longtime friends of Phil Ochs the writer, and their duet was the first recorded release of this epic song, in 1966. At that time stereo was a fairly new gimmick and some of the panning experiments don't wear well with time. This one has the two voices channeled extreme left and right, so I imaged them closer together and balanced them a bit better.

Other than that, going through a lot of CDs but haven't come across much that is earthshaking of late.

This sibling duo has some wonderfully tight harmonies, critically compared to the Everly Brothers --

Secret Sisters: Tennessee River Runs Low

back betty, bready blam de lam! bloody had a baby
blam de lam! hire the handicapped blam de lam! put him on
the wheel blam de lam! burn him in the coffee blam de lam!
cut him with a fish knife blam de lam! send him off to col-
lege & pet him with drumstick blam de lam! boil him in the
cookbook blam de lam! fix him up an elephant blam de lam!
sell him to the doctors blam de lam . . . back betty, big
bready blam de lam! betty had a milkman, blam de lam!
sent him to the chain gang blam de lam! fixed him up a
navel, blam de lam (hold that tit while i git it. Hold it right
there while i hit it . . . blam!) fed him lotza girdles, raised
him in pnuemonia . . . black bloody, itty bitty, blam de lam!
said he had a lambchop, blam de lam! had him in a stocking,
stuck artichokes in his ears, planted him in green beans &
stuck him on a compass blam de lam! last time i seed him,
blam de lam! he was standing in a window, blam de lam!
hundred floors up, blam de lam! with his prayers & his pig-
foot, blam de lam! black betty, black betty blam de lam!
betty had a loser blam de lam, i spied him on the ocean with a
long string of muslims - blam de lam! all going quack quack
. . . blam de lam! all going quack quack, blam!

---- Bob Dylan, Having a Weird Drink with the Long Tall Stranger from "Taratula" (1966)

Me and Bobby McGee...the great Janice!

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose...

Coyote this afternoon I went to a Cocktail party, I take Kid A with me this official his entry into Society and I am on target to have him mixing his first Martini next year at age five years of age....at six years of age I am appointing him as Mama's Official Martini Cocktail Bartender :smoke:

Sonny Boy Williamson II "Nine Below Zero" released on 10" Shellac in 1952 on Trumpet Records, this is the B Side the A Side is "Mighty Long Time"

The A Side of the above record.

---- Bob Dylan, Having a Weird Drink with the Long Tall Stranger from "Taratula" (1966)

I should add though, Dylan was riffing on an old African American trad song, probably from Leadbelly's recording:

Giraffes? Giraffes!: "I Am SH(im)e[r] As You Am SH(im)e[r] As You Are Me And We Am I And I Are All Together"

Ornette Coleman "Chronology" from the album "The Shape of Jazz To Come" released in 1959 on Atlantic Records.

What have you been listening to Pogo ? For the past week I exclusively been listening to Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler and more Sandy Denny Demos.

Sandy Denny "The Pond and The Stream" from "I've Always Kept A Unicorn - The Acoustic Sandy Denny" released in 2016 on 180gram 2 X LP on Island Records. This demo was recorded in February 1970 at the Sound Techniques Studios, London, England.

Was immersed in this recently around the anniversary of JFK assassination, doing a remix. Very powerful song.

Jim Glover and Jean Ray were longtime friends of Phil Ochs the writer, and their duet was the first recorded release of this epic song, in 1966. At that time stereo was a fairly new gimmick and some of the panning experiments don't wear well with time. This one has the two voices channeled extreme left and right, so I imaged them closer together and balanced them a bit better.

Other than that, going through a lot of CDs but haven't come across much that is earthshaking of late.

Pogo that video will not play for me.

In other news my Priest is here, yesterday also was my Confession Day if I cannot do Fridays I go Tuesdays.

My Priest and I are now going to play our usual game of Machiavelli * and he has Vodka and I have Chocolate Milk as I am a good girl :smile:

Or am I? :dev2:

upload_2017-12-1_23-48-55.png

* Machiavelli:

Machiavelli (Italian card game) - Wikipedia

In other news my Priest is here, yesterday also was my Confession Day if I cannot do Fridays I go Tuesdays.

My Priest and I are now going to play our usual game of Machiavelli * and he has Vodka and I have Chocolate Milk as I am a good girl :smile:

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Is the video restricted in Europa?

See if this one works, same song:

Jim Glover actually taught Phil Ochs how to play guitar. Ochs had been more of a journalist/writer before that.

I forgot to strip out the videos from the quoted posts. Makes the page take forever to load. At least I did it this time.

I should add though, Dylan was riffing on an old African American trad song, probably from Leadbelly's recording:

Yet Dylan didn't make the song famous. Ram Jam did and they used the same words/lyrics as Leadbelly, not the ones you quoted. I've not heard Dylan do this song. :dunno:

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Jim Glover actually taught Phil Ochs how to play guitar. Ochs had been more of a journalist/writer before that.

I forgot to strip out the videos from the quoted posts. Makes the page take forever to load. At least I did it this time.

The first it just say This Video Is Not Available.

The second video is okay, that was VERY fantastic. I like Jim & Jean, you know ogo I think we channel each other sometimes because a few weeks ago I was relistening to their first album "Jim & Jean" released in 1965 on Philips Records, not sure what label it was on in America it could have also been Philips or the subsidiary Fontana Records or the other subsidiary Mercury Records, but not only do they perform two great versions of two Leadbelly songs "Relax Your Mind" and "Alabama Sound" they also do Buffy Sainte-Marie's "Welcome, Welcome Emigrante"

Re. Phil Ochs he's too political for me, of course he was talented but too political, same with Richard Fariña and also Ewan McColl. They were in a group together I am sure Jim Glover and Phil Ochs were in I cannot remember the name and I'm sure they didn't release any records.

Yet Dylan didn't make the song famous. Ram Jam did and they used the same words/lyrics as Leadbelly, not the ones you quoted. I've not heard Dylan do this song. :dunno:

I don't know that Dylan ever did the song. I should have pointed out, "Tarantula" is not a song or album, it's a book of free verse poetry. When I say he was 'riffing on' it I mean using the phrases and the model as a point of departure from which he went in all his Dylanesque directions. I'm presuming (guessing) that Dylan picked it up from Leadbelly but I don't know for a fact. But it was an old traditional African American song before Leadbelly did it.

I like to know the origins/evolutions of things. On the other hand I'd heard the Ram Jam version before but never had any idea who they were. :)

Last edited:

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Bridget St. John "Lizard-Long-Tongue-Boy" from the album "Ask Me No Questions" released in 1969 on Dandelion Records, John Martyn plays guitar on this. This album was the first of three albums that Bridget St. John released on John Peel's Dandelion Records and Peel also Produced the albums....and apart from my parents no other person contributed more to my musical education than John Peel, very adored and very missed.

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

The second video is okay, that was VERY fantastic. I like Jim & Jean, you know ogo I think we channel each other sometimes because a few weeks ago I was relistening to their first album "Jim & Jean" released in 1965 on Philips Records, not sure what label it was on in America it could have also been Philips or the subsidiary Fontana Records or the other subsidiary Mercury Records, but not only do they perform two great versions of two Leadbelly songs "Relax Your Mind" and "Alabama Sound" they also do Buffy Sainte-Marie's "Welcome, Welcome Emigrante"

Re. Phil Ochs he's too political for me, of course he was talented but too political, same with Richard Fariña and also Ewan McColl. They were in a group together I am sure Jim Glover and Phil Ochs were in I cannot remember the name and I'm sure they didn't release any records.

The first Jim & Jean LP was also on Philips here, the second (the one I linked) on Verve Folkways and their third on Verve Forecast. That first Jim & Jean LP fetches a few bucks on the collector market I think. I don't have it.

Ochs yes was very social/political, that was his passion and led him to "topical" songs, kind of like writing articles with music is how he looked at it. Yet "Crucifixion" is very spiritual, looking at the propensity of culture to build up some hero and then kill him. He doesn't mention JFK in the song but it's obviously the model, yet it's expressed as a general cultural observation. Ochs called it the greatest song he ever wrote, and I think he was right. But the Jim & Jean version is unsurpassed.

The small group (duo I think) with Jim Glover and Phil Ochs was the Sundowners. They did a few gigs but no recordings.

As for Buffy Sainte-Marie, she's one of my favorite people. Had the pleasure of interviewing her and found her a wonderfully openhearted, personable and impish spirit. A wise woman.

Oosie you have a deep well of music that continues to impress. What I think you should do is sell off your liquor cabinet and buy a plane ticket here, where you and I can run a radio station, trading off input over and over. Leave kids A, B, C, D, E, F and G with Mr Oosie, he can handle it. In return I will cook for you.

:smoke:

Last edited:

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Steve Albini in usual cheerful mood :smoke:

Big Black "Colombian Necktie" from the album "Songs About Fucking" released in 1987 on Touch and Go Records.

Steve Albini in even more cheerful mood :smoke:

Shellac "Prayer To God" from the album "1000 Hurts" released in 2000 on Touch and Go Records.

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

The first Jim & Jean LP was also on Philips here, the second (the one I linked) on Verve Folkways and their third on Verve Forecast. That first Jim & Jean LP fetches a few bucks on the collector market I think. I don't have it.

Ochs yes was very social/political, that was his passion and led him to "topical" songs, kind of like writing articles with music is how he looked at it. Yet "Crucifixion" is very spiritual, looking at the propensity of culture to build up some hero and then kill him. He doesn't mention JFK in the song but it's obviously the model, yet it's expressed as a general cultural observation. Ochs called it the greatest song he ever wrote, and I think he was right. But the Jim & Jean version is unsurpassed.

The small group (duo I think) with Jim Glover and Phil Ochs was the Sundowners. They did a few gigs but no recordings.

As for Buffy Sainte-Marie, she's one of my favorite people. Had the pleasure of interviewing her and found her a wonderfully openhearted, personable and impish spirit. A wise woman.

Oosie you have a deep well of music that continues to impress. What I think you should do is sell off your liquor cabinet and buy a plane ticket here, where you and I can run a radio station, trading off input over and over. Leave kids A, B, C, D, E, F and G with Mr Oosie, he can handle it. In return I will cook for you.

That first Jim & Jean LP was the possession of a friend of my Papa's, an English friend who tragically died in a plane accident before I was born but his wife left all of his record collection to Papa and when Papa was not looking one day I took that Jim & Jean LP lol it's okay Papa knows, we share records with each other.

Another friend of our family who died of cancer they had a collection of I think it's 500 78s and we were left those also, one box weigh an absolute ton, but they are nearly all old Blues records fantastic stuff.

All the Verve Records subsidiaries were great, Verve itself was great Norman Granz set that label up especially to put Ella Fitzgerald records on, Charlie Parker and Lester Young were on Verve.

Verve Folkways and Verve Forecast were the same subsidiary, Verve Folkways began in 1964 as just a label for the Folk recordings and in 1967 they decided to expand the reportoire and changed the name to Verve Forecast many of the Folk artists were still on it like Tim Hardin and Odetta etc as well as Blues artists like Lightnin' Hopkins and they released some recordings by Leadbelly also.

"Crucifixion" is very spiritual, it's an exceptional song, I think it works better that they do not mention JFK, I like the repeated analogy with a Matador though.

That's it The Sundowners!

Buffy Sainte-Marie, there is something wrong with people who do not like that woman.

Thank you ogo for that lovely compliment, I think us having a radio station would be excellent we could have six hour programmes and we would get a mega cult following Worldwide and yes Mr. Lucy could take care of all the kidlets and you could cook for me :smoke:

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Kid B aged two years of age she likes baby music, this is not acceptable now she is two years of age I need to get started on her like I did Kid A when he was her age.

I decide that today Saturday I am going to play her Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band "Trout Mask Replica" released in 1969 on Straight Records and then follow that by playing her Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" released in 1970 on Straight Records.

On Sunday I'm thinking she should hear some Albert Ayler maybe "Spiritual Unity" released in 1964 on ESP-Disk Records, you know during the recording of this album at one point the Recording Engineer actually fled the Control Room then returned later to change the recording tape and then fled the Control Room again lol, so of course Kid B should be subjected to this album, this is her crash course like Kid A had, he's been there already and now its her turn :smoke:

I don't know that Dylan ever did the song. I should have pointed out, "Tarantula" is not a song or album, it's a book of free verse poetry. When I say he was 'riffing on' it I mean using the phrases and the model as a point of departure from which he went in all his Dylanesque directions. I'm presuming (guessing) that Dylan picked it up from Leadbelly but I don't know for a fact. But it was an old traditional African American song before Leadbelly did it.

I like to know the origins/evolutions of things. On the other hand I'd heard the Ram Jam version before but never had any idea who they were. :)

YOU didn't know sumpin??? Color me shocked :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back