What are you listening to?

Ornette Coleman "Chronology" from the album "The Shape of Jazz To Come" released in 1959 on Atlantic Records.

Some excellent Cornet from Don Cherry on this.

What have you been listening to Pogo ? For the past week I exclusively been listening to Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler and more Sandy Denny Demos.

Sandy Denny "The Pond and The Stream" from "I've Always Kept A Unicorn - The Acoustic Sandy Denny" released in 2016 on 180gram 2 X LP on Island Records. This demo was recorded in February 1970 at the Sound Techniques Studios, London, England.

I'm definitely listening to Oosie's Sandy Denny posts :)

Was immersed in this recently around the anniversary of JFK assassination, doing a remix. Very powerful song.

Jim Glover and Jean Ray were longtime friends of Phil Ochs the writer, and their duet was the first recorded release of this epic song, in 1966. At that time stereo was a fairly new gimmick and some of the panning experiments don't wear well with time. This one has the two voices channeled extreme left and right, so I imaged them closer together and balanced them a bit better.

Other than that, going through a lot of CDs but haven't come across much that is earthshaking of late.

Pogo that video will not play for me.

In other news my Priest is here, yesterday also was my Confession Day if I cannot do Fridays I go Tuesdays.

My Priest and I are now going to play our usual game of Machiavelli * and he has Vodka and I have Chocolate Milk as I am a good girl :smile:

Or am I? :dev2:

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Machiavelli (Italian card game) - Wikipedia

Is the video restricted in Europa?

See if this one works, same song:

Jim Glover actually taught Phil Ochs how to play guitar. Ochs had been more of a journalist/writer before that.

I forgot to strip out the videos from the quoted posts. Makes the page take forever to load. At least I did it this time.

The first it just say This Video Is Not Available.

The second video is okay, that was VERY fantastic. I like Jim & Jean, you know ogo I think we channel each other sometimes because a few weeks ago I was relistening to their first album "Jim & Jean" released in 1965 on Philips Records, not sure what label it was on in America it could have also been Philips or the subsidiary Fontana Records or the other subsidiary Mercury Records, but not only do they perform two great versions of two Leadbelly songs "Relax Your Mind" and "Alabama Sound" they also do Buffy Sainte-Marie's "Welcome, Welcome Emigrante"

Re. Phil Ochs he's too political for me, of course he was talented but too political, same with Richard Fariña and also Ewan McColl. They were in a group together I am sure Jim Glover and Phil Ochs were in I cannot remember the name and I'm sure they didn't release any records.

The first Jim & Jean LP was also on Philips here, the second (the one I linked) on Verve Folkways and their third on Verve Forecast. That first Jim & Jean LP fetches a few bucks on the collector market I think. I don't have it.

Ochs yes was very social/political, that was his passion and led him to "topical" songs, kind of like writing articles with music is how he looked at it. Yet "Crucifixion" is very spiritual, looking at the propensity of culture to build up some hero and then kill him. He doesn't mention JFK in the song but it's obviously the model, yet it's expressed as a general cultural observation. Ochs called it the greatest song he ever wrote, and I think he was right. But the Jim & Jean version is unsurpassed.

The small group (duo I think) with Jim Glover and Phil Ochs was the Sundowners. They did a few gigs but no recordings.

As for Buffy Sainte-Marie, she's one of my favorite people. Had the pleasure of interviewing her and found her a wonderfully openhearted, personable and impish spirit. A wise woman.

Oosie you have a deep well of music that continues to impress. What I think you should do is sell off your liquor cabinet and buy a plane ticket here, where you and I can run a radio station, trading off input over and over. Leave kids A, B, C, D, E, F and G with Mr Oosie, he can handle it. In return I will cook for you.

:smoke:

A beautiful and pure but very troubled soul, I hope wherever Nick Drake is his tormented soul is at peace.

No idea when these Demos were actually recorded, I think somewhere between the beginning of 1968 to the Summer 1970 as the official studio recording of "Day Is Done" is on "Five Leaves Left" and recording of that album began in July 1968 and the official studio recording of "Hazey Jane I" is on "Bryter Layter" and recording of that album began in the Autumn of 1970.

Nick Drake "Day Is Done" this is the Demo of the song from the album "Second Grace - Home Recordings of Alternate Versions and Unreleased Songs" released on 180gram vinyl LP in 2001 on Not on Label (Nick Drake) this is a pseudo-label a holding area for all unofficial releases of music by Nick Drake where no other record label is discernible.

Nick Drake "Hazey Jane" this is the Demo of the song from the same above album.

Was immersed in this recently around the anniversary of JFK assassination, doing a remix. Very powerful song.

Jim Glover and Jean Ray were longtime friends of Phil Ochs the writer, and their duet was the first recorded release of this epic song, in 1966. At that time stereo was a fairly new gimmick and some of the panning experiments don't wear well with time. This one has the two voices channeled extreme left and right, so I imaged them closer together and balanced them a bit better.

Other than that, going through a lot of CDs but haven't come across much that is earthshaking of late.

In other news my Priest is here, yesterday also was my Confession Day if I cannot do Fridays I go Tuesdays.

My Priest and I are now going to play our usual game of Machiavelli * and he has Vodka and I have Chocolate Milk as I am a good girl :smile:

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Jim Glover actually taught Phil Ochs how to play guitar. Ochs had been more of a journalist/writer before that.

I forgot to strip out the videos from the quoted posts. Makes the page take forever to load. At least I did it this time.

The second video is okay, that was VERY fantastic. I like Jim & Jean, you know ogo I think we channel each other sometimes because a few weeks ago I was relistening to their first album "Jim & Jean" released in 1965 on Philips Records, not sure what label it was on in America it could have also been Philips or the subsidiary Fontana Records or the other subsidiary Mercury Records, but not only do they perform two great versions of two Leadbelly songs "Relax Your Mind" and "Alabama Sound" they also do Buffy Sainte-Marie's "Welcome, Welcome Emigrante"

Re. Phil Ochs he's too political for me, of course he was talented but too political, same with Richard Fariña and also Ewan McColl. They were in a group together I am sure Jim Glover and Phil Ochs were in I cannot remember the name and I'm sure they didn't release any records.

The first Jim & Jean LP was also on Philips here, the second (the one I linked) on Verve Folkways and their third on Verve Forecast. That first Jim & Jean LP fetches a few bucks on the collector market I think. I don't have it.

Ochs yes was very social/political, that was his passion and led him to "topical" songs, kind of like writing articles with music is how he looked at it. Yet "Crucifixion" is very spiritual, looking at the propensity of culture to build up some hero and then kill him. He doesn't mention JFK in the song but it's obviously the model, yet it's expressed as a general cultural observation. Ochs called it the greatest song he ever wrote, and I think he was right. But the Jim & Jean version is unsurpassed.

The small group (duo I think) with Jim Glover and Phil Ochs was the Sundowners. They did a few gigs but no recordings.

As for Buffy Sainte-Marie, she's one of my favorite people. Had the pleasure of interviewing her and found her a wonderfully openhearted, personable and impish spirit. A wise woman.

Oosie you have a deep well of music that continues to impress. What I think you should do is sell off your liquor cabinet and buy a plane ticket here, where you and I can run a radio station, trading off input over and over. Leave kids A, B, C, D, E, F and G with Mr Oosie, he can handle it. In return I will cook for you.

A beautiful and pure but very troubled soul, I hope wherever Nick Drake is his tormented soul is at peace.

No idea when these Demos were actually recorded, I think somewhere between the beginning of 1968 to the Summer 1970 as the official studio recording of "Day Is Done" is on "Five Leaves Left" and recording of that album began in July 1968 and the official studio recording of "Hazey Jane I" is on "Bryter Layter" and recording of that album began in the Autumn of 1970.

Nick Drake "Day Is Done" this is the Demo of the song from the album "Second Grace - Home Recordings of Alternate Versions and Unreleased Songs" released on 180gram vinyl LP in 2001 on Not on Label (Nick Drake) this is a pseudo-label a holding area for all unofficial releases of music by Nick Drake where no other record label is discernible.

Wanda Jackson is a woman who sounded like she drank rocket fuel for breakfast.

Wanda Jackson "Fujiyama Mama" released in 1957 on 7" on Capitol Records the B Side is "No Wedding Bells For Joe"

Wanda Jackson "Mean, Mean Man" released in 1958 on 7" on Capitol Records the B Side is "Happy, Happy Birthday"

Last edited:

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Kid B aged two years of age she likes baby music, this is not acceptable now she is two years of age I need to get started on her like I did Kid A when he was her age.

I decide that today Saturday I am going to play her Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band "Trout Mask Replica" released in 1969 on Straight Records and then follow that by playing her Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" released in 1970 on Straight Records.

On Sunday I'm thinking she should hear some Albert Ayler maybe "Spiritual Unity" released in 1964 on ESP-Disk Records, you know during the recording of this album at one point the Recording Engineer actually fled the Control Room then returned later to change the recording tape and then fled the Control Room again lol, so of course Kid B should be subjected to this album, this is her crash course like Kid A had, he's been there already and now its her turn :smoke:

I like this approach to childrearing. In a :whip: kind of way. Broaden their horizons.

My parents always had classical music on, then we'd turn on the radio for rock 'n' roll. Later I'd fire up my shortwave and hear exotic music from eastern Europa and South America. So it was always obvious that whatever one was in front of at the time, there was always something else out there.

I think I'm especially lucky to have seen Ella in concert before she left us. What a genius.

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag.... is fast and bulbous. Got me?

Last edited:

Love me some Nick Drake music. Very original chords he came up with.

I'll be putting "Pink Moon" on the air tomorrow for the Supermoon. :)

Danke für los demos amiga.

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

The Shangri-Las "The Train From Kansas City" released in 1965 on 7" on Red Bird Records this is the B Side the A Side is "Right Now and Not Later"

The Shangri-Las "The Dum Dum Ditty" from their second and final album "Shangri-Las-65!" released in 1965 on Red Bird Records.

Wanda Jackson is a woman who sounded like she drank rocket fuel for breakfast.

Wanda Jackson "Fujiyama Mama" released in 1957 on 7" on Capitol Records the B Side is "No Wedding Bells For Joe"

Wanda Jackson "Mean, Mean Man" released in 1958 on 7" on Capitol Records the B Side is "Happy, Happy Birthday"

Love the Wanda Jackson attitude. It's like they told her "now Wanda you're a girl so you sit over there and be demure" and she said "shut up and get off my stage"..

Been spinning Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" (Warner 2000) where she took on mostly other people's music with a jazz orchestra. As a fan of Joni for many decades I'm trying every way I can think to find something positive about this.

I'm afraid it can't be done. This is bloody awful. Way overproduced, way overorchestrated and a match between voice and arrangements that never had a chance to work. And doesn't.

Been spinning Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" (Warner 2000) where she took on mostly other people's music with a jazz orchestra. As a fan of Joni for many decades I'm trying every way I can think to find something positive about this.

I'm afraid it can't be done. This is bloody awful. Way overproduced, way overorchestrated and a match between voice and arrangements that never had a chance to work. And doesn't.

WTF who's bad idea was this?! I cannot imagine someone less suited to sing with a jazz orchestra than Joni Mitchell, her voice is so not for that type of thing.

View attachment 163923

* Machiavelli:

Kid B aged two years of age she likes baby music, this is not acceptable now she is two years of age I need to get started on her like I did Kid A when he was her age.

I decide that today Saturday I am going to play her Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band "Trout Mask Replica" released in 1969 on Straight Records and then follow that by playing her Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" released in 1970 on Straight Records.

On Sunday I'm thinking she should hear some Albert Ayler maybe "Spiritual Unity" released in 1964 on ESP-Disk Records, you know during the recording of this album at one point the Recording Engineer actually fled the Control Room then returned later to change the recording tape and then fled the Control Room again lol, so of course Kid B should be subjected to this album, this is her crash course like Kid A had, he's been there already and now its her turn :smoke:

I like this approach to childrearing. In a :whip: kind of way. Broaden their horizons.

My parents always had classical music on, then we'd turn on the radio for rock 'n' roll. Later I'd fire up my shortwave and hear exotic music from eastern Europa and South America. So it was always obvious that whatever one was in front of at the time, there was always something else out there.

I think I'm especially lucky to have seen Ella in concert before she left us. What a genius.

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag.... is fast and bulbous. Got me?

Agreed......my parents were similar in that they'd usually listen to the old country music like Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams Sr, Charley Pride, etc BUT my mother also had a fondness for opera and my dad loved Spanish Flamenco guitar and at the time of course I wanted to hear rock & roll.

I've never really studied music, but I have come to enjoy & appreciate many different genres.

I am having problems getting this thread to load, Pogo mentioned having this trouble the other night :eusa_doh:

Coyote last year in this thread and another we were discussing "Wild Mountain Thyme"

upload_2017-12-3_4-20-7.png

upload_2017-12-3_4-20-49.png

Link to the above post:

What are you listening to?

As I said in my post last year Sandy Denny's version of "Wild Mountain Thyme" is my favourite and it's worth reposting it again:

But my second favourite version of "Wild Mountain Thyme" is by Marianne Faithfull which I have not mentioned until now.

Marianne Faithfull "Wild Mountain Thyme" from the album "North Country Maid" released in 1966 on Decca Records.

Last edited:
I generally don't come to a thread like this often for that reason --- it has to load every video link and the longer a single page goes, the more videos it is forced to load. AND every time a quote nest contains videos --- all those previous videos have to load again as well.

Pogo's Recommendations for a music thread posting videos:

1 post no more than one video per post;

2 if you quote a prior post that had videos, remove the quoted video so it isn't forced to load again;

3 Post the title and artist in text so it can be searched that way (Lucy and I, for two, already do this)
These will help take the strain off and the page won't take forever to load.

I generally don't come to a thread like this often for that reason --- it has to load every video link and the longer a single page goes, the more videos it is forced to load. AND every time a quote nest contains videos --- all those previous videos have to load again as well.

2 if you quote a prior post that had videos, remove the quoted video so it isn't forced to load again;

3 Post the title and artist in text so it can be searched that way (Lucy and I, for two, already do this)

Charlie Feathers "Jungle Fever" released on 7" in 1958 on Kay Records the B Side is "Why Don't You"

Pogo this is a Cream Alert I know they are your favourite band and Cream did a song on their first album "Fresh Cream" the song "Rollin and Tumblin" and they originally credited it as Traditional, then later they credited it to McKinley Morganfield (aka Muddy Waters) but that song was written by Hambone Willie Newbern, errors like this I don't like.

He recorded it at his only recording session ever on March 14 1929 at the OKeh Records studio in Atlanta, Georgia and he only ever recorded six songs in his whole life at that one session after that he disappeared, some people have said he was beaten to death in a prison fight in 1947 and some others say he died at home in 1965. There is also no photograph in existence of Hambone Willie Newbern, the photograph that some idiots put on websites or whatever is actually a photograph of Son House, this photograph of Son House:

MI0001330963.jpg

Hambone Willie Newbern "Roll and Tumble Blues" recorded on March 14 1929 and pressed on 10" 78RPM for OKeh Records but never released and there was no B Side.

I know ^^^^ was never released because in the below Discography it is listed as Unissued. Weird stuff, Hambone Willie Newbern a total man of mystery.

upload_2017-12-3_11-55-46.png

I stay away from Lido. If you like saggy gay men, that's what's up with Lido.

And the occasional hot blonde with a red G-String.

"And the occasional hot blonde with a red G-String."

I'm a natural blonde and people tell me that I'm hot....I have no G-Strings though, my Lingerie though are Basques I have various colours mainly black but I do have two red.

Um....not that I know anything about G-Strings, I am an innocent girl with a virgin mind....
blushing.gif

....or am I? :dev2:

Forum List

Back