What are you listening to?

I stay away from Lido. If you like saggy gay men, that's what's up with Lido.

And the occasional hot blonde with a red G-String.

Then why did you thank me for it??? :poke:

I don't care about the why's & wherefore's of any song or group........I just like a catchy tune &/or good music. :dance:

Lido just happens to be a catchy tune, IMO

And from your comments about 'gay men' in music.......that would have to include Freddy Mercury/Queen, Liberace, Elton John, etc, etc, etc..........and that's just wrong cause they are/were great, talented musicians of their crafts

I stay away from Lido. If you like saggy gay men, that's what's up with Lido.

And the occasional hot blonde with a red G-String.

Then why did you thank me for it??? :poke:

I don't care about the why's & wherefore's of any song or group........I just like a catchy tune &/or good music. :dance:

Lido just happens to be a catchy tune, IMO

And from your comments about 'gay men' in music.......that would have to include Freddy Mercury/Queen, Liberace, Elton John, etc, etc, etc..........and that's just wrong cause they are/were great, talented musicians of their crafts

Because I know all about Lido Beach. :dunno:

Yes, Freddy Mercury and Liberace were musical geniuses. I am one to recognize and appreciate that.

I'm not one to go around Lido Beach, though. :rolleyes:

Too much faggotry.

That is really good stuff, and I remember it from the 70s! There was that song, and "Celebration" when I saw this guy running through the laundromat with 3 cops chasing him going "clop clop clop"

I don't see how they catch could him as fast as he was running and as slow as they were. Hopefully he didn't do anything too bad. He looked terrified.

Last edited:

Lawdy! I'm out in the country, but that there will put you right downtown!

:badgrin: Who's the woman?

Hoo boy! Dat some fancy music dere!

Well Duke that be Miss Bonnie Raitt... I have been deeply in love with her for 40+ years... Have never heard a tune from her that was not worth giving your full attention to and just listening...

Oh and yes Dr. John can sell it!!!

Been spinning Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" (Warner 2000) where she took on mostly other people's music with a jazz orchestra. As a fan of Joni for many decades I'm trying every way I can think to find something positive about this.

I'm afraid it can't be done. This is bloody awful. Way overproduced, way overorchestrated and a match between voice and arrangements that never had a chance to work. And doesn't.

Link Wray and His Ray Men "Fatback" from the album "Jack The Ripper" released in 1963 on Swan Records.

I generally don't come to a thread like this often for that reason --- it has to load every video link and the longer a single page goes, the more videos it is forced to load. AND every time a quote nest contains videos --- all those previous videos have to load again as well.

Pogo's Recommendations for a music thread posting videos:

1 post no more than one video per post;

2 if you quote a prior post that had videos, remove the quoted video so it isn't forced to load again;

3 Post the title and artist in text so it can be searched that way (Lucy and I, for two, already do this)
These will help take the strain off and the page won't take forever to load.

Pogo this is a Cream Alert I know they are your favourite band and Cream did a song on their first album "Fresh Cream" the song "Rollin and Tumblin" and they originally credited it as Traditional, then later they credited it to McKinley Morganfield (aka Muddy Waters) but that song was written by Hambone Willie Newbern, errors like this I don't like.

He recorded it at his only recording session ever on March 14 1929 at the OKeh Records studio in Atlanta, Georgia and he only ever recorded six songs in his whole life at that one session after that he disappeared, some people have said he was beaten to death in a prison fight in 1947 and some others say he died at home in 1965. There is also no photograph in existence of Hambone Willie Newbern, the photograph that some idiots put on websites or whatever is actually a photograph of Son House, this photograph of Son House:

MI0001330963.jpg

Hambone Willie Newbern "Roll and Tumble Blues" recorded on March 14 1929 and pressed on 10" 78RPM for OKeh Records but never released and there was no B Side.

I know ^^^^ was never released because in the below Discography it is listed as Unissued. Weird stuff, Hambone Willie Newbern a total man of mystery.

View attachment 164129

Excellent musicology sleuthing there Oosie. Whatever we're paying you, triple it. :thup:

I wasn't able to find much more though I did find Roll and Tumble had been released on disc on two compilation LPs, "Scannin' the Blues" (Columbia 63288 UK and Germany plus alt catalogue number in Japan but never released in US) in 1968 and then in US the following year on "Mississippi Blues no 3; Transition 1926-1937" (Origin Jazz Library OJL-17) in 1969. Both of these of course would be after Fresh Cream was recorded.

And on the other point I can affirm your status as a virgin innocent girl with no G-string. Anybody says different, you send 'em to me.

Tammi Terrell - David Ruffin was a POS and many people including Terrell's family blamed him for starting the brain tumour that caused her death in 1970, Ruffin in 1967 having hit her across the head with a motorcycle helmet and The Temptations former road manager also said he witnessed Ruffin hit Terrell in the head with a hammer.

Tammi Terrell was fantastic, I hope David Ruffin is burning in Hell.

tammi_article.jpg

Tammi Terrell "I Gotta Find A Way To Get You Back" recorded in 1966 for Motown Records but not released until 2010, this is an Unreleased Acetate (First Take) the backing vocalists are The Temptations, this first appeared on "Tammi Terrell - Come On And See Me: The Complete Solo Collection" released in 2010 on Double CD and packaged in a three panel gatefold sleeve with a 36 page booklet on Hip-O Select Records.

Last edited:
Tammi Terrell - David Ruffin was a POS and many people including Terrell's family blamed him for starting the brain tumour that caused her death in 1970, Ruffin in 1967 having hit her across the head with a motorcycle helmet and The Temptations former road manager also said he witnessed Ruffin hit Terrell in the head with a hammer.

tammi_article.jpg

Tammi Terrell "I Gotta Find A Way To Get You Back" recorded in 1966 for Motown Records but not released until 2010, this is an Unreleased Acetate (First Take) the backing vocalists are The Temptations, this first appeared on "Tammi Terrell - Come On And See Me: The Complete Solo Collection" released in 2010 on Double CD and packaged in a three panel gatefold sleeve with a 36 page booklet on Hip-O Select Records.

Oosie did I ever tell you about the Motown Museum?

Years ago I had a road job in Memphis and my co-worker wanted to go see Sun Records. I wasn't enthused, thought it would be a tourist trap. But it was pretty cool, I liked seeing the vintage studios and tape machines, and resolved that if I ever got sent to Detroit I'd go see the Motown Museum for the same reason. I'm a tech geek about that stuff so that amuses me. Several years later I got a gig in Detroit and had enough free time to go.

The MM is a three (four?) story house where Berry Gordy set up his operation with studios in what used to be a garage, and offices on the upper floors. Then in the attic floor he ran a long microphone cable to one end of the attic where a speaker was mounted on the other side. This he would feed back into the recording for reverberation to create "the Motown sound". So they showed us that, and we saw some vintage studios, heard some stories, saw some old tape decks, and I'm geeking out. But they added a historical note I didn't see coming.

In the early 1960s when all this started, they noted, there was no such thing as white kids and black kids dancing together or sharing the same music. It was culturally segregated as much as if there had been a sign over the music. Gordy's aim was to produce music that could appeal across those lines and be dug by everybody regardless of racial culture. And they demonstrated that in the museum culminating in a documentary film at the end.

It was intensely moving. We had gone into that tour a disparate group of strangers. Singles, couples small groups, blacks, whites .... by the time we came out of it we were all brothers and sisters, color no longer existed and there were no strangers - because we had all been moved by the same profound experience -- Motown had just broken down those barriers again right in front of us.

Ever since that visit this one lyric stands out for the depth of what it really means:

"This is an invitation
Across the nation
A chance for folks to meet"

I never fully grokked what that meant until that visit. It sums up what Motown was there for in five seconds.

Even without that deeper meaning it was a powerful driving irresistible piece of rock. Listen closely and you can hear Marvin Gaye (co-writer) in the background slamming a steady beat on a steel plate, with a tire iron.

tammi_article.jpg

Years ago I had a road job in Memphis and my co-worker wanted to go see Sun Records. I wasn't enthused, thought it would be a tourist trap. But it was pretty cool, I liked seeing the vintage studios and tape machines, and resolved that if I ever got sent to Detroit I'd go see the Motown Museum for the same reason. I'm a tech geek about that stuff so that amuses me. Several years later I got a gig in Detroit and had enough free time to go.

The MM is a three (four?) story house where Berry Gordy set up his operation with studios in what used to be a garage, and offices on the upper floors. Then in the attic floor he ran a long microphone cable to one end of the attic where a speaker was mounted on the other side. This he would feed back into the recording for reverberation to create "the Motown sound". So they showed us that, and we saw some vintage studios, heard some stories, saw some old tape decks, and I'm geeking out. But they added a historical note I didn't see coming.

In the early 1960s when all this started, they noted, there was no such thing as white kids and black kids dancing together or sharing the same music. It was culturally segregated as much as if there had been a sign over the music. Gordy's aim was to produce music that could appeal across those lines and be dug by everybody regardless of racial culture. And they demonstrated that in the museum culminating in a documentary film at the end.

It was intensely moving. We had gone into that tour a disparate group of strangers. Singles, couples small groups, blacks, whites .... by the time we came out of it we were all brothers and sisters, color no longer existed and there were no strangers - because we had all been moved by the same profound experience -- Motown had just broken down those barriers again right in front of us.

Ever since that visit this one lyric stands out for the depth of what it really means:

"This is an invitation
Across the nation

I never fully grokked what that meant until that visit. It sums up what Motown was there for in five seconds.

Even without that deeper meaning it was a powerful driving irresistible piece of rock. Listen closely and you can hear Marvin Gaye (co-writer) in the background slamming a steady beat on a steel plate, with a tire iron.

What a lovely story.

"We had gone into that tour a disparate group of strangers. Singles, couples small groups, blacks, whites .... by the time we came out of it we were all brothers and sisters, color no longer existed and there were no strangers - because we had all been moved by the same profound experience"

^^^^ This is correct, music is one of the few things that regardless of politics, religion, gender or skin colour that is able to bring people who share a love of a type of music together. It's a shame that too many people are obsessed with the above things and instead don't concentrate on one thing we all have in common and that's a soul.

The thought of Marvin Gaye slamming a steady beat on a steel plate with that thing is also pretty profound IMHO.

tammi_article.jpg

"This is an invitation
Across the nation

What a lovely story.

"We had gone into that tour a disparate group of strangers. Singles, couples small groups, blacks, whites .... by the time we came out of it we were all brothers and sisters, color no longer existed and there were no strangers - because we had all been moved by the same profound experience"

^^^^ This is correct, music is one of the few things that regardless of politics, religion, gender or skin colour that is able to bring people who share a love of a type of music together. It's a shame that too many people are obsessed with the above things and instead don't concentrate on one thing we all have in common and that's a soul.

The thought of Marvin Gaye slamming a steady beat on a steel plate with that thing is also pretty profound IMHO.

Yeah they made the experience come alive with human stories like that. Including imagining what it was like in that studio we were standing in when it was full of musicians doing take after take after take, combined with cigarette smoke and the aroma of barbecue, all in a tightly packed room on a summer day when you can't run air conditioning because it would be heard in the recording.... it lends a heavy sensuality to the imagination.

I don't think I've ever been to any museum anywhere that brings its history so vividly to the heart, as Motown does.

Last edited:

tammi_article.jpg

I have to violate our new rule not to post two videos in one post.

Ella Washington "He Called Me Baby" released on 7" in 1968 on Sound Stage 7 Records the B Side is "You're Gonna Cry, Cry, Cry"

This is EXCEPTIONAL vocally and spiritually and everything else, it's just one of the most perfect records ever IMHO.

Patsy Cline's version of "He Called Me Baby" was released posthumously on 7" in 1964 on Decca Records the B Side is "Bill Bailey, Won't You Please Come Home" of course her version is brilliant....but NOT as brilliant as Ella Washington's.

There is something wrong with people who do not like Patsy Cline records she was an unique artist and did not record boring dirges, there also is a sophistication in Patsy Cline's records that is especially unique and totally lacking in 99.9% of any other Country music musician.

Forum List

Back