What are the underlying principles of Modern liberalism?

That civilization is a slow and steady turn away from the natural order of things.

That a decent society sets a minimum standard of living.

That the deserving should be helped even if we must sometimes help the undeserving rather than punish the deserving because of the wrongdoing of the undeserving.

That justice should always be tempered with mercy and love is the highest expression of faith.

At least that's my take.

I'm a self-described "liberal".

I'm pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-DADT repeal.

I'm in favor of a simple, progressive tax system.
I'm in favor of expanding medicare, and social security.

I'm against all nanny-state, "healthy" laws. I smoke cigarettes, I drink.
I'm anti-prohibition. That applies to all drugs, prostitution, etc.
I'm against special interests controlling congress. I disagree with the Citizens United decision.

On Global Warming, I agree with EVERY SINGLE MAJOR SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZATION, and believe that climate change exists, and we're making it worse.

On most issues, I'll come down on the same side as the ACLU.

On some issues, I'll come down on the same side as the NRA.

On the Political Compass test, I'm in the mid left, far bottom.

Id prefer to hear the answer from liberals themselves. I want to see what they say their underlying principles are.

Take, Subjugate, Take, Shuffle the Deck, Subjugate, Take some more, Subjugate, Take, Take more, did I mention Take???? :lol: :lol:

Id prefer to hear the answer from liberals themselves. I want to see what they say their underlying principles are.

Fair taxes.

Freedom in the market and in the privacy of home.

Limited Government focused on infrastructure and keeping the streets clean for the tourists.

Remember, Thomas Jefferson was a Liberal and Benedict Arnold was a Tory (16 century conservative).

http://www.usmessageboard.com/educa...ism-america-was-born-liberal.html#post1321923

Absolutely. To remain loyal to the king was the conservative stance.

That classical liberalism. Modern Liberalism is more akin to Marxism.

It's amazing to me that people can seriously claim to know what other people believe better than they do.

:confused: Read the OP again. And maybe again. And I'd recommend reading it again.
Oh, the OP.

You mean the one that said "Id prefer to hear the answer from liberals themselves. I want to see what they say their underlying principles are."

Somehow that translated to you to mean "I know what they believe better than they do, I'll answer".

Liberty, Freedom, Justice and Tolerance.

It's amazing to me that people can seriously claim to know what other people believe better than they do.

Except when people confuse Liberalism in today's sense rather than Liberalism back in the 16th century.

But then again.. Some people have strong views from both and that's understandable.

Except when people confuse Liberalism in today's sense rather than Liberalism back in the 16th century.

But then again.. Some people have strong views from both and that's understandable.

Of course.

But the thread title reads "Modern Liberalism", not "Classical Liberalism".

Liberalism is based on stupidity. It's based on a gut feeling of what one wishes were true or possible, but reality of the world does not agree with.

For example, total equality is impossible. Yet, liberalism, by definition, is the pursuit of equality. How much equality is enough? It's never enough. With each step towards equality, with success, comes the next endeavor of equality. The final result........a society in which every single aspect of life is dictated and controlled by a central authority in the name of "equality". And that can only be achieved with overwhelming force.

Liberalism is based on stupidity. It's based on a gut feeling of what one wishes were true or possible, but reality of the world does not agree with.

For example, total equality is impossible. Yet, liberalism, by definition, is the pursuit of equality. How much equality is enough? It's never enough. With each step towards equality, with success, comes the next endeavor of equality. The final result........a society in which every single aspect of life is dictated and controlled by a central authority in the name of "equality". And that can only be achieved with overwhelming force.

Equality is impossible?

Damn, it'd sucked to be you back in the 60's.

You got it, pal....

1) A secure job with a future that pays well enough to support a family.

2) Affordable, accessible health care whether out of work, poor or already ill.

3) A free education for our children also free of other people’s inclinations to the supernatural.

4) Time off to spend with family members during critical times such as birth, sickness and death without getting fired.

5) Neighborhoods free from gun-wielding lunatics.

Most liberals would prefer to control the publics agenda for discourse,,,, but then so would most the ultra "conservatives". A liberal has a more social and emotional thought process than a pragmatic realist conservative. Admitting what is is and dealing with what is is takes balls,,, not everyone has balls,,, or they have them employed in fantasies of Nirvana ,,, heaven on Earth.
Is is the present tense, is is now and not any other time frame.

I'm against special interests controlling congress. I disagree with the Citizens United decision.

On Global Warming, I agree with EVERY SINGLE MAJOR SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZATION, and believe that climate change exists, and we're making it worse.

So most of the time you are on the wrong side? I see.....

now we're gettin somewhere............I commend your honesty.

Forum List

Back