And zooooom up go the grocery prices AGAIN.....

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
I don't know who of you do the grocery shopping for your households but in my household it's me. Now I make my living working with numbers so I'm addicted to noticing change. I don't bother reading the official reports because they're always six to eight weeks behind the front line. I also don't respond to week to week price changes but wait to see a long-term pattern before I decide something has actually increased in cost.

Having said that I would say we just experienced another significant jump across the board in all categories of groceries. I know there are underlying factors like fuel cost for transportation refrigeration costs that also go up with fuel costs.... Increase in labor costs and sometimes just cost costs. Point is they all add up to a final price for the consumer.

Some of the things I've noticed locally are a sharp rise in pork products. As much as 30% I would say in the last 6 months.
Beef has stabilized but it stabilized at a high price and hasn't really come down since. They have the occasional sales here that that are worth going to if you're a big fan of beef.

Now don't expect info from any official reports that will always skew the numbers to hide the reality. The reports are based on the same type of data collection that I'm doing myself because I no longer trust the reports. This type of data is what the average median household has to deal with from week to week. It's also why the democrat's message about good economy keeps falling flat on its face even with their own voters.

jo

Last edited:
I don't know who of you do the grocery shopping for your households but in my household it's me. Now I make my living working with numbers so I'm addicted to noticing change. I don't bother reading the official reports because they're always six to eight weeks behind the front line. I also don't respond to week to week price changes but wait to see a long-term pattern before I decide something has actually increased in cost.

Having said that I would say we just experienced another significant jump across the board in all categories of groceries. I know there are underlying factors like fuel cost for transportation refrigeration costs that also go up with fuel costs.... Increase in labor costs
And sometimes just cost costs.
Point is they all add up to a final price for the consumer.

Some of the things I've noticed locally are a sharp rise in pork products. As much as 30% I would say in the last 6 months.
Beef has stabilized but it stabilized at a high price and hasn't really come down since. They have the occasional sales here that that are worth going to if you're a big fan of beef.

Now don't expect from any official reports that will always skew the numbers to hide the reality. The reports are based on the same type of data collection that I'm doing myself because I no longer trust the reports. This type of data is what the average median household has to deal with from week to week. It's also why democrats message about good economy keeps falling flat on its face even with their own voters.

jo
And along with that, the quantity in boxes is getting smaller. So not only has the price of my coffee pods jumped from $6 to $10, but now there are only 10 pods Instead of 12.

Ive hardly ever couponed in my life and have now started. Tired of watching the money fly out with these high prices.

As always when the meats have a good deal we load up into our freezers.

I did beans and franks one meal this weekend. The can of beans had way more juice than it used to have. They even cutting back on the number of beans.
I don't know whether or not it's a healthy meal but I I absolutely love Franks and beans. My wife is not too happy with the results of the legumes as they disintegrate in my digestive tract releasing olfactory wonders for the ages!

Having said that I would say we just experienced another significant jump across the board in all categories of groceries. I know there are underlying factors like fuel cost for transportation refrigeration costs that also go up with fuel costs.... Increase in labor costs and sometimes just cost costs. Point is they all add up to a final price for the consumer.

Now don't expect info from any official reports that will always skew the numbers to hide the reality. The reports are based on the same type of data collection that I'm doing myself because I no longer trust the reports. This type of data is what the average median household has to deal with from week to week. It's also why the democrat's message about good economy keeps falling flat on its face even with their own voters.

jo
Biden is a dumb and lazy man. He is worth millions and notices none of those daily things.

A stick of butter costs nearly $1 more per pound than when Biden entered office. In January 2021, butter cost an average $3.64 per pound but is now sold at $4.63 per pound as of February 2024, an increase of 27%.Mar 12, 2024

He hasn't bought butter in maybe 40 years

Biden is a dumb and lazy man. He is worth millions and notices none of those daily things.

A stick of butter costs nearly $1 more per pound than when Biden entered office. In January 2021, butter cost an average $3.64 per pound but is now sold at $4.63 per pound as of February 2024, an increase of 27%.Mar 12, 2024

He hasn't bought butter in maybe 40 years
You know I tried substituting margarine for a while assuming that it was a healthier choice but couldn't stay with it. If you're going to make a good batch of mashed potatoes you can't do it with margarine.

jo
Guess you didnt hear about the beef shortage do to the amount of cattle that was reduced last year. When one meat product goes short, then you can expect prices of the other meats to necessarily skyrocket.

This is a report from last year, but it does affect the beef prices for this year.
U.S. cattle inventory falls to the lowest level in decades | AGDAILY
According to yesterday’s released U.S. Department of Agriculture report, all cattle and calves are down 3 percent from last year — the lowest level since 1962. The total U.S. inventory is currently 89.3 million head as compared to January 2022 numbers of 92.1 million head.

Severe droughts across the Western United States coupled with increasing feed costs have led to dispersals and herd shrinkage with 3 percent fewer cows and heifers producing calves this year. The trend in fewer calves being born will likely continue with beef cows at 4 percent and heifer supplies at 6 percent below last year’s numbers.

Thanks that was informative.
Certainly makes sense.
I have been purchasing emergency food rations for a while now, along with cans of SPAM(the meat the beat Hitler) that can last forever since it is well known to intelligent people, that the Demofascists have a plan to do whatever it takes to murder 6 billion people, whether by war, disease, or even FAMINE(for you Joe Biden voters, that mean starving to death). Each year you see some other regulation or rule making it harder for the everyday "worker" to provide for his/her family....

"

I have been purchasing emergency food rations for a while now, along with cans of SPAM(the meat the beat Hitler) that can last forever since it is well known to intelligent people, that the Demofascists have a plan to do whatever it takes to murder 6 billion people, whether by war, disease, or even FAMINE(for you Joe Biden voters, that mean starving to death). Each year you see some other regulation or rule making it harder for the everyday "worker" to provide for his/her family....

"
I am having no problems getting what I want at the store do yous guys need me to donate food to you all? I just tilled the garden for free veggies.

jo

I do just about all the grocery shopping for my family, thanks for letting me know the prices are up, I had not really paid attention.

Sorry you are suffering, thoughts and prayers heading your way

Grocery stores do not make profit off of groceries....it's a mostly break even type deal except the small locally owned grocery store might make a small profit. Labor, rent, & utilities are met by grocery sales. The companies pay for the weekly newspaper ads which showcase sale items.

Most of the grocery store chains profit by the shelf space rental fees. Nabisco, Frito/Lay's, and others pay big bucks for their shelf space. Then the other stores next to a big grocery store pay rent to another conglomerate that owns the grocery store chain as well. (Double dipping)

We pay so close to commodity price it's funny. (And sometimes below commodity price) many grocery store chains have become food manufacturers themselves. Cookie/cracker bakeries have been purchased as well as a few meat packing houses. Huge business these days as volume is what's needed to make money in the food processing industry. A boxcar of beef turns into pallets of boxed beef cuts in two hours.

The cost of grain has skyrocketed. Ultimately this is the culprit. This is due to fertilizer costs have risen and there has been something of a drought in Brazil which has deeply affected grain prices. Wheat, corn, oats, Rice and sugar have all risen 2X-3X the price they were 4 years ago. Granted they were inexpensive at the time....but they kept the price of meat down.

Buying in bulk will reduce packaging costs for some food items....I buy flour in 50lb bags. (I only get between 10-20) batches of bread from a bag for home use. And as a retired artisan baker...the bread ain't bad.

I am having no problems getting what I want at the store do yous guys need me to donate food to you all? I just tilled the garden for free veggies.
Try your psychology somewhere else. The tide method of trying to embarrass the messenger doesn't work and it isn't going to work in November either. People are not stupid nor are they susceptible to snide commentary and condescension which is what the entire left-wing message consists of these days.

I do just about all the grocery shopping for my family, thanks for letting me know the prices are up, I had not really paid attention.

Sorry you are suffering, thoughts and prayers heading your way
Actually I'm not suffering but it's not lost on me that all of the lefties here pull the same tactic whenever they are faced with the reality of rising grocery prices under this administration.

Do you all go to Lefty propaganda School and then come to this board? Inevitably the attempts to embarrass pour in as if all of you have one field commander.

I don't have any problems getting what I need because I've planned well. That doesn't mean I don't see the price increases.

Forum List

Back