What are the grounds for trumps fraud appeal ?

He will appeal this . I can only see it as a delaying tactic.
Does he have any grounds to appeal this judgement ?
If you do not fill in an online loan application form correctly you will be sentenced to a fine of 354,9 million USD. You will be barred from receiving loans for three years, your children for two, your cats and dogs for one. The spider in the basement will have its web confiscated and you will get a parking prohibition in your garage for ten years.

Not a lawyer but my general understanding of the law is that there's no grounds. He's going to argue that there's no injury because the banks were paid back, but I don't think it's necessary to prove the banks were injured. A private entity didn't bring the suit; the State of New York did, for violating their fraud statute.

If you do not fill in an online loan application form correctly you will be sentenced to a fine of 354,9 million USD. You will be barred from receiving loans for three years, your children for two, your cats and dogs for one. The spider in the basement will have its web confiscated and you will get a parking prohibition in your garage for ten years.

If you fraudulently fill an online application, you or I would be prosecuted -- criminally.

The sentence should base on the damage inflicted on the bank.

No, it shouldn't. If the banking system engages in risky behavior, such as willfully doing billions of dollars in business with people who inflate the value of their property, that's a problem. As I said in another thread, if it's one client, that's one thing, but I seriously doubt Donald Trump is the only one getting that kind of treatment.

With that being said, that raises the obvious question: why not do more to regulate and punish the banks in that situation? That would be a fair question to raise. And yes, I'll say it up front: they wouldn't have ever gone after Trump had he not become a political figure. But that can be said of many political figures who've been prosecuted in the past (see Bill Clinton).

It will be something dishonest and baseless, such as the ‘no victims’ appeal – but that doesn’t mitigate the fact that Trump violated the law and that the verdict is perfectly appropriate and warranted.

No, it shouldn't. If the banking system engages in risky behavior, such as willfully doing billions of dollars in business with people who inflate the value of their property, that's a problem. As I said in another thread, if it's one client, that's one thing, but I seriously doubt Donald Trump is the only one getting that kind of treatment.

With that being said, that raises the obvious question: why not do more to regulate and punish the banks in that situation? That would be a fair question to raise. And yes, I'll say it up front: they wouldn't have ever gone after Trump had he not become a political figure. But that can be said of many political figures who've been prosecuted in the past (see Bill Clinton).
It is basically part of the system. Keep the money flowing. If you restrict that you restrict also the overall economy.

The fine was based on the amount that trump benefitted from his fraud He made a lot of money from it.

The fine was based on the amount that trump benefitted from his fraud He made a lot of money from it.
The bank too. And the fact that Trump inflated his assets´ value is just a another judge´s ruling. I don´t think it is actually proven. The judgement is Un-American. I say that as someone who does not want another Trump term.

Last edited:

Trump is guilty of Fraud

The only thing he can appeal is the dollar amount.
It will probably be reduced but will still be a significant judgement

It is basically part of the system. Keep the money flowing. If you restrict that you restrict also the overall economy.

Nah, what you're advocating, whether you realize it or not, is corruption. The reason the banks likely gave Donny a pass is because they suing him and threatening him with bankruptcy would have risked their outstanding loans, which was probably the smart move. But it's much better to discourage fraud in the first place - because it creates risk. And at scale, it risks not only one bank, but a chunk of the economy. Banking insolvency can start that way.

A problem for Trump is his lawyers suck.
No legitimate lawyer wants to represent him.

They did not leave much room for an Appeal

Nah, what you're advocating, whether you realize it or not, is corruption. The reason the banks likely gave Donny a pass is because they suing him and threatening him with bankruptcy would have risked their outstanding loans, which was probably the smart move. But it's much better to discourage fraud in the first place - because it creates risk. And at scale, it risks not only one bank, but a chunk of the economy. Banking insolvency can start that way.
Yes, it means risk and there will be bad times now and then. The bank took the risk, they certainly know about Trump´s bankruptcies.

The bank too. And the fact that Trump inflated his assets´ value is just a another judge´s ruling. I don´t think it is actually proven. The judgement is Un-American. I say that as someone who does not want another Trump term.
If two dealers kill each other over a drug deal a crime has still been comitted,Everybody made money during the financial crash until they didnt.

Forum List

Back