Were nukes ever set off in the US

Did you know nukes have been set off in the US?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone thinking the EPA is out there with concern for lives is violin themselves

Yes we have set them off, and from the looks of things dems want another one set off here soon.

Were Nukes ever set off ............................. Why is it even important to know this?
if radiation is still hanging around from those even today it could be causing health issues.
Even without it, Fukishima is a reality and people are dying. How important is it to expose the Obama administration for covering up the health risks of Fukishima? He should be held personally accountable. Let the victims bring a class action suit against him and wipe him out financially.

Covering up the health risks? What could be done after the fact?

I don't know. How about not approving the EPA raising the safety level for radiation limits in the water our children are drinking? That's a start.....

Post Fukushima: US EPA approves vastly higher radiation limits in drinking water | EMFacts Consultancy

So, what are you going to do if the drinking water has radiation above those artificially set limits? Let people die of dehydration?

I remember reading stories, about how you could drive through parts of the desert southwest, and stop at little gift shops along the way, and purchase "glass" bead necklaces.
Well, of course you know what I'm getting at.

Radiation ain't all bad. No need for lanterns in case of power outage. Just arrange kids in areas where ya need light

upload_2017-3-16_22-51-18.png

True story.

When after WW2 we were trying to build radiation free labs, we couldnt get the radiation down to acceptable levels and we discovered it was because the steel used to build the labs was itself radioactive from all the atmospheric nuke testing. So they had to find steel made before WW2 to make these labs from, since it didnt have the radiation that had gotten so thick in the atmosphere from the atmospheric tests. So they went down to sunken WW2 battleships and started cutting out the deck armor to use for these labs.

And some people think to this day that there was no real problem with atmospheric tests of nuclear warheads.

roflmao

The Straight Dope: Is steel from scuttled German warships valuable because it isn’t contaminated with radioactivity?

Prior to the 1963 atmospheric test ban treaty, the atomic powers (the U.S. and the former Soviet Union mostly, but also the UK, China, and France) among them detonated 502 nuclear devices with a total yield equivalent to 440 million tons of TNT at above ground sites around the world.

These tests (plus, of course, the two bombs dropped on Japan) threw vast amounts of radioactive crud into the air. The impact on instrument making was the least of the consequences. Global radiation exposure per person peaked in 1963. Scientists at the time estimated that radiation-induced genetic, bone, and bone marrow disease in children born during maximum fallout would be on the order of 5 percent above normal.

To gauge how bad things were, researchers built “iron rooms,” shielded chambers in which people could be tested to see how much radioactivity they’d absorbed. These rooms had thick steel walls to prevent outside radiation from skewing the results. One iron room, at Argonne National Laboratory, was used to test Marshall Islanders who’d been exposed to fallout following the H-bomb test at Bikini atoll in 1954.

The challenge in constructing iron rooms was that in those days new steel itself was contaminated, not because of problems with the ore, but because radioactive dust, mainly cobalt-60, got mixed in with the metal when huge quantities of air were blasted into the furnace during smelting. Small batches of uncontaminated steel could be made using special processes involving minimal air exposure, but that was pricey. Steel salvaged from pre-1945 warships was cheap.

Generally speaking, no reshaping of the metal was necessary. You just cut up the old armor plate into room-sized chunks. For best results you wanted battleship armor, which might be a foot or more thick.

That brings us to the German High Seas Fleet, interned with German skeleton crews aboard at the British naval base at Scapa Flow, off the Scottish coast, following the armistice of November 1918. Unsure whether hostilities would resume and determined that the fleet not be seized by the Allies, admiral Ludwig von Reuter ordered his men to scuttle their ships on June 21, 1919. Some 50-odd vessels were sunk.

The shallow waters of Scapa Flow allowed relatively easy access to the wrecks, and many were soon salvaged. A legend has grown up that much of the “low-background steel” from these ships was used in iron-room-type shielding applications, and in particular that NASA used some in the Voyager spacecraft. However, that’s probably exaggerated — most of the ships were salvaged in the 1920s and ’30s. I did find a 1973 news account saying steel from the battleship Kronprinz Wilhelm was going to be used to shield a medical diagnostic system at a Scottish hospital, and that other pieces of the ship had been sent to Cape Town and Koblenz. However, NASA has said it can’t confirm steel from the German fleet was launched into space.

Fact is, plenty of old steel was available from decommissioned American warships. For example, 65 tons of armor plate from the battleship Indiana, scrapped in 1962, was used for shielding at an Illinois VA hospital, and another 210 tons went into building a shielded room at a Utah medical center.

Last edited:
Were Nukes ever set off ............................. Why is it even important to know this?
if radiation is still hanging around from those even today it could be causing health issues.
Even without it, Fukishima is a reality and people are dying. How important is it to expose the Obama administration for covering up the health risks of Fukishima? He should be held personally accountable. Let the victims bring a class action suit against him and wipe him out financially.

I don't know. How about not approving the EPA raising the safety level for radiation limits in the water our children are drinking? That's a start.....

Post Fukushima: US EPA approves vastly higher radiation limits in drinking water | EMFacts Consultancy

So, what are you going to do if the drinking water has radiation above those artificially set limits? Let people die of dehydration?
Why not let them decide for themselves if they want to drink contaminated water or permit their children to drink it? What gives the government the right to decide what information people are permitted to have concerning their own safety? Who made them God? Do you see something wrong with your question? Read it and think about it. It's not my place, your place or the government's place to decide what people will do. It's their right to make their own alternate plans. Bottled water would be one such alternative. Leaving the West Coast is another.

Why not let them decide for themselves if they want to drink contaminated water or permit their children to drink it? What gives the government the right to decide what information people are permitted to have concerning their own safety? Who made them God? Do you see something wrong with your question? Read it and think about it. It's not my place, your place or the government's place to decide what people will do. It's their right to make their own alternate plans. Bottled water would be one such alternative. Leaving the West Coast is another.

Uh, where do you think bottled water comes from? The same place all water comes from, meaning it too would be contaminated.

I don't know how you think something like that can be avoided and how arbitrary these standards really are!

Unless you are an expert in the field, why do you question their ability to decide what is safe and what is not?

Uh, where do you think bottled water comes from? The same place all water comes from, meaning it too would be contaminated.

I don't know how you think something like that can be avoided and how arbitrary these standards really are!

Unless you are an expert in the field, why do you question their ability to decide what is safe and what is not?
Why would I question the government's ability (under Barack Hussein Obama) to decide what is safe and what is not safe? Was that a joke? This isn't the humor forum, Admiral.

Bottled water comes from many different places. All bottled water doesn't come from the West Coast. THINK.

Why would I question the government's ability (under Barack Hussein Obama) to decide what is safe and what is not safe? Was that a joke? This isn't the humor forum, Admiral.

Bottled water comes from many different places. All bottled water doesn't come from the West Coast. THINK.

Bottled water is expensive because it requires transportation,

If the contaminants reached the west coast, it is only a matter of time before it spreads world wide. Then what are you going to do?

What are the possible negative effects of increased exposure? I noticed that was conveniently missing from your posts. Is this simply much ado about nothing?

If the contaminants reached the west coast, it is only a matter of time before it spreads world wide. Then what are you going to do?

What are the possible negative effects of increased exposure? I noticed that was conveniently missing from your posts. Is this simply much ado about nothing?
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. What are the possible negative effects? Cancer. Fukishima is hardly much ado about nothing. It's serious and our government needs to address the threat it poses to the USA.

Bottled water is not expensive and it certainly is not as expensive as cancer treatments or losing a loved one. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

OMG you fkrs are iditos with your twisting of this bs gawd damn can't anyone put something up to see how many KNOW ABOUT A FKN SUBJECT WITH OUT THE LEFTIST MORONC COMMENTS.......

JESUS CHIRIST I'M NOT PARANOID

I ALREADY KNEW OF THIS TAKING PLACE

WTF

The only crap you post is conspiracy theory bullshit.

And yes you are paranoid.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. What are the possible negative effects? Cancer. Fukishima is hardly much ado about nothing. It's serious and our government needs to address the threat it poses to the USA.

So we should take all of the steps to protect ourselves even though there may be no threat at all? That is what you are saying.

Bottled water is not expensive and it certainly is not as expensive as cancer treatments or losing a loved one. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So what is the threat of cancer from this radiation?

You don't know, do you?

I used to sleep with nuclear missiles and work in a nuclear powered submarine. I am still here and that was 37 years ago.

I used to sleep with nuclear missiles and work in a nuclear powered submarine. I am still here and that was 37 years ago.
You sound like a deadman walking, roflmao. Seriously, you had rads measured across your career, how much did you get?

Fukushima Radiation Mapping In The Pacific Could Bolster Climate Science

First, they allow predictions of where and how much Fukushima radiation will make it to U.S. and Canadian shores.

Scientists say the radiation will not be concentrated enough to pose a threat to human health.Here’s the math, so to speak:

Currently, scientists are finding levels of radioactive cesium-137 from Fukushima at about 2 Bq/m3 off the coast of British Columbia. This is slightly higher than ambient radiation levels in ocean water and about the same level of cesium-137 still in the ocean from atmospheric nuclear weapons tests of the last century.

EPA drinking water standards for cesium-137 is 7,400 Bq/m3.

How Radioactive Is the Pacific, Really?

Luckily, cesium is an electrolyte, and is water-soluble. Thus it moves through living organisms relatively quickly.

“It doesn’t have a target organ that it goes to, it just flushes through like a salt. So the good thing is one of the more serious contaminants for the ocean is lost quickly when it gets into the food chain.”

Unfortunately, it’s not all good news. “The bad news is, the Japanese found, through their own monitoring data, cesium levels weren’t going down in fish. That means they’re getting a source–they’re getting fed more cesium. There are still leaks at the site.”

There are millions and millions of gallons of contaminated water to be dealt with at the Fukushima site, a cleanup project that will take both decades and billions of dollars.

“There are 300 tons coming out a day of [contaminated] water,” Buesseler explains. “Well, that’s still not big compared to what happened four years ago. It’s maintaining levels that are high enough to keep fisheries closed, but I can go there and swim. People can surf in that area.”

Forum List

Back