We should ban Hollywood films that glamorize gun violence. Matt Damon causes mass shootings

The Hollywood films that make it "COOL" to murder are responsible for gun violence in America, and these films should be banned.

DC should censor Hollywood.

We should only have movies about transgendered children coping with life.

Jason Borne
The Taken films
Tarantino
The Marvel and DC Comics Superhero movies

These films STYLIZE GUN VIOLENCE and rarely show the aftermath and consequences.

They are showing kids at an early age that gun violence is a quick solution for any problems.

if Liberals want to stop gun violence, start with mental health issues and Hollywood.

The fork doesn't make you fat. It's the shit on the end of the fork that the fat ass is shoving down their pie hole.

You're actually approaching the right idea here. Culture in general --- not just movies but overall culture, from a child's earliest toys and cartoons and comic books, through his (it's always a he, yuge clue) endless shoot-em-up TV shows, through his video games, right down to his everyday linguistic euphemisms, set up and reinforce that value that "guns is power".

Whelp --- when that guy for whatever reason gets himself into a hole of powerlessness, he's likely to turn to what his (it's always a he) culture has told him from birth. Ain't rocket surgery.

"Banning" however has never worked for anything. That ain't how you change culture.

We used to have a culture of smoking. Recently enough to remember. That too was pushed and reinforced by movies, and TV, and even Hallowe'en candies. We didn't suppress that by "banning" it. We suppressed it by making it uncool.

So here we have a culture of gun violence. Do the math.
you look back, kids have always played with toy guns. hell i can't remember how many cap guns i destroyed as a kid. although it was usually a lot more fun to pop an entire roll of caps with a brick.

westerns of the 50s and 60s - guns.
war movies before that - guns.

yet we didn't have the violence problems that we do today so it can't just be seeing guns on tv and the movies makes kids psychotic. i heard this a TON in my catholic studies as i was one of the few who played D&D and had to tell far too many people i had no desire to crawl around in a new york sewer looking for rats nor behead someone with a vorpal blade.

so whatever the root cause is - it's not just one. it's more like a perfect storm of events and pop culture mood of hate that is setting off a lot of this. the incident in plano was a marital spat where friends were over for football and were caught in the crossfire of an idiot. i doubt it was only gunsmoke as a kid that made him do that.

I think Hollywood should take a closer look at the movies they make. Glorifying gun violence in this day and age where mass shootings are becoming more common it makes sense to take a second look at how this influences our gun nut culture.

The NRA: The only thing that stops a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun.

What a load of Hollywood horseshit is that?

Indeed the very phrase "a good guy with a gun" would be laughable on its face if not for the conditioning set up for Almighty Gun culture I described in post 5. It's in no way limited to movies though. It's there from the child's earliest toys and comic books and GI Joe dolls. It's all over his video games. It's literally all over the TV dial, literally 24/7/365. If the objective were to sell Gun Culture it could hardly have thought of anything more than it's already pervaded.

It's even in the language: one's "bullet point" is either "on target" or else one has to "bite the bullet" when one "comes under fire", lest one's "trigger happy" "shoot from the hip" "parting shot" get "shot down" at which point one can "stick to your guns". This is literally indoctrinated from birth and from every turn. These are my observations but "don't shoot the messenger".

They're (generally) not making those movies, and TV shows, and video games, and comics, and GI Joe dolls, and toy six-shooters, for the purpose of selling a Gun Culture. They're just doing it because it sells. Perhaps then what's required is to teach a vulnerable population the basics of when they're being played for profit. That would go a long way.

I think Hollywood should take a closer look at the movies they make. Glorifying gun violence in this day and age where mass shootings are becoming more common it makes sense to take a second look at how this influences our gun nut culture.

The NRA: The only thing that stops a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun.

Are you saying that what the NRA says is Hollywood horseshit?

Yes, it might as well have come right out of Eastwood's mouth.
Do you consider soldiers good guys with guns? Are most police good guys with guns? I am a concealed carry permit holder and carry all the time but never have had to use it, but would in a crisis, am I a good guy with a gun?

I don't know who you are, I suppose it would depend on how you use your firearm.
What about the other guys I told you about, do you consider them good guys with guns?

By the way, I am a veteran who served to keep Communists out of this country so you could today, be free with your speech on this forum. Does that help you in your decision if I am a good guy with a gun?

I don't know you, you would probably have the best of intentions but could cause more harm than good.

Cops are mostly good and even they on occasion accidentally shoot innocent bystanders and they have training. I really wish anyone who carries would take mandatory training. Some states to carry concealed require nothing.

Indeed the very phrase "a good guy with a gun" would be laughable on its face if not for the conditioning set up for Almighty Gun culture I described in post 5. It's in no way limited to movies though. It's there from the child's earliest toys and comic books and GI Joe dolls. It's all over his video games. It's literally all over the TV dial, literally 24/7/365. If the objective were to sell Gun Culture it could hardly have thought of anything more than it's already pervaded.

It's even in the language: one's "bullet point" is either "on target" or else one has to "bite the bullet" when one "comes under fire", lest one's "trigger happy" "shoot from the hip" "parting shot" get "shot down" at which point one can "stick to your guns". This is literally indoctrinated from birth and from every turn. These are my observations but "don't shoot the messenger".

They're (generally) not making those movies, and TV shows, and video games, and comics, and GI Joe dolls, and toy six-shooters, for the purpose of selling a Gun Culture. They're just doing it because it sells. Perhaps then what's required is to teach a vulnerable population the basics of when they're being played for profit. That would go a long way.

Good points. However those things you mentioned are also in other countries as well. Our tv shows, movies, toys and video games are available across Europe and beyond. What they don't have is the availability of all these firearms and I think it could be a combination of the two.

The Hollywood films that make it "COOL" to murder are responsible for gun violence in America, and these films should be banned.

Jason Borne
The Taken films
Tarantino

These films STYLIZE GUN VIOLENCE and rarely show the aftermath and consequences.

They are showing kids at an early age that gun violence is a quick solution for any problems.

if Liberals want to stop gun violence, start with mental health issues and Hollywood.

The fork doesn't make you fat. It's the shit on the end of the fork that the fat ass is shoving down their pie hole.

You're actually approaching the right idea here. Culture in general --- not just movies but overall culture, from a child's earliest toys and cartoons and comic books, through his (it's always a he, yuge clue) endless shoot-em-up TV shows, through his video games, right down to his everyday linguistic euphemisms, set up and reinforce that value that "guns is power".

Whelp --- when that guy for whatever reason gets himself into a hole of powerlessness, he's likely to turn to what his (it's always a he) culture has told him from birth. Ain't rocket surgery.

"Banning" however has never worked for anything. That ain't how you change culture.

We used to have a culture of smoking. Recently enough to remember. That too was pushed and reinforced by movies, and TV, and even Hallowe'en candies. We didn't suppress that by "banning" it. We suppressed it by making it uncool.

you look back, kids have always played with toy guns. hell i can't remember how many cap guns i destroyed as a kid. although it was usually a lot more fun to pop an entire roll of caps with a brick.

yet we didn't have the violence problems that we do today so it can't just be seeing guns on tv and the movies makes kids psychotic. i heard this a TON in my catholic studies as i was one of the few who played D&D and had to tell far too many people i had no desire to crawl around in a new york sewer looking for rats nor behead someone with a vorpal blade.

so whatever the root cause is - it's not just one. it's more like a perfect storm of events and pop culture mood of hate that is setting off a lot of this. the incident in plano was a marital spat where friends were over for football and were caught in the crossfire of an idiot. i doubt it was only gunsmoke as a kid that made him do that.
What if the real reason for such immorality happening today, is because a generation ago, they took "GOD" out of the public education system so those kids today, don't give a shit about anyone else?

Good points. However those things you mentioned are also in other countries as well. Our tv shows, movies, toys and video games are available across Europe and beyond. What they don't have is the availability of all these firearms and I think it could be a combination of the two.
Yeah, good thing that the Truck Driver in France could only drive over those people.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/europe/nice-france-truck/index.html
Authorities said Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel drove a rented, refrigerated truck weighing about 20 tons into crowds along a roughly 2-kilometer stretch of Promenade des Anglais on Thursday night, killing 84 people -- including 10 children and adolescents -- and injuring 202 others.
Did I mention that guy was a Muslim from another country that only wanted to seek asylum? 84 is more than 58, but since it was a Muslim yelling Allah ooh Akbar, no big deal, right?

Jason Borne
The Taken films
Tarantino

What if the real reason for such immorality happening today, is because a generation ago, they took "GOD" out of the public education system so those kids today, don't give a shit about anyone else?

Whose god?

I don't think you need religion to know that shooting someone is a bad thing. Actually, Christians do it all the time. I see a lot of 'christians' on this board who don't seem to give a shit about the suffering in Puerto Rico.

Are you saying that what the NRA says is Hollywood horseshit?

Do you consider soldiers good guys with guns? Are most police good guys with guns? I am a concealed carry permit holder and carry all the time but never have had to use it, but would in a crisis, am I a good guy with a gun?

I don't know who you are, I suppose it would depend on how you use your firearm.
What about the other guys I told you about, do you consider them good guys with guns?

By the way, I am a veteran who served to keep Communists out of this country so you could today, be free with your speech on this forum. Does that help you in your decision if I am a good guy with a gun?

I don't know you, you would probably have the best of intentions but could cause more harm than good.

Cops are mostly good and even they on occasion accidentally shoot innocent bystanders and they have training. I really wish anyone who carries would take mandatory training. Some states to carry concealed require nothing.
Really! Please explain , I am very interested I how I who was trained in the use of firearms could cause more harm than good?

Jason Borne
The Taken films
Tarantino

Whose god?

I don't think you need religion to know that shooting someone is a bad thing. Actually, Christians do it all the time. I see a lot of 'christians' on this board who don't seem to give a shit about the suffering in Puerto Rico.
ZOOOOOOMMMMM< did you put on a blinker when you made that lane change? This isn't about PR it is about guns, so get back on the subject.

Jason Borne
The Taken films
Tarantino

"Always"?
According to what I've read this shooter was 64 years old. That would make him born in 1952 or '53 and ergo a young and impressionable child when this splattered all over TV, which was considered an electronic babysitter:

His older brother born ten years earlier didn't have that kind of propaganda instrument. He did eventually, but by the time TV got widespread he was old enough to not be so impressionable.

Of course that's just one of the factors I listed. After that commercial, and maybe another one for GI Joe ran, he'd be returned to his program about shooting Indians or bank robbers. Then he'd go to his comic books and read about the invasion of Gongontula and how he was vanquished with a death ray gun. Then when he got older his TV tastes would mature to shows about cops shooting still-more 'bad guys' or Star Trek shooting Klingons, and then older still he could go to movies about the Mafia. And on the way home he might have stopped and played a video game shooting down "enemy ships".
Indoctrination takes time. And it never gives up.

The other half of this is the masculinity aspect. Mass shooters are not out for 'murder' per se -- they're out for power. So again, when they dig themselves into whatever hole of powerlessness they believe themselves to be in, they're going to turn to what their indoctrination has always told them, from the earliest most impressionable age, is the way out.

Yeah, good thing that the Truck Driver in France could only drive over those people.
Attack in Nice: Driver of truck identified as 31-year-old Tunisia native - CNN
Authorities said Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel drove a rented, refrigerated truck weighing about 20 tons into crowds along a roughly 2-kilometer stretch of Promenade des Anglais on Thursday night, killing 84 people -- including 10 children and adolescents -- and injuring 202 others.
Did I mention that guy was a Muslim from another country that only wanted to seek asylum? 84 is more than 58, but since it was a Muslim yelling Allah ooh Akbar, no big deal, right?

I'm not sure if you noticed but this is a thread about gun violence. Why not compare Las Vegas to 9/11? It really has no baring on the topic of this thread.

Maybe Damon could get a gig as one of the Wiggles. Morgan Freeman can go back to working on a new version of the now-gone kids' show the Electric Company, where he got his start.

:p

If Hollywood didn't make it so cool to murder people with automatic weapons, there would be less gun violence.

The CONTENT of FILMS matters.

Hollywood is responsible and should be censored by DC.

Violent and hate speech is not free and protected speech.....right, PROGS?

We must do the right thing for everyone and ban movies with gun violence.

...then move on to banning box cutters, cars, cellphones, and forks.

Really! Please explain , I am very interested I how I who was trained in the use of firearms could cause more harm than good?

From my perspective, I have no idea who you are. You could end up shooting another guy who pulled out his gun in response to the initial shooter thinking he was the one who started it. Like I said, in some states you don't need any training in order to carry.

Jason Borne
The Taken films
Tarantino

Whose god?

ZOOOOOOMMMMM< did you put on a blinker when you made that lane change? This isn't about PR it is about guns, so get back on the subject.

It's not about religion either but you brought that up. I merely reminded you that being a Christian doesn't necessarily make you moral.

Hollywood also glamorizes smoking.

It's bad for kids.

Think of the CHILDREN!!

BAN ALL SMOKING IN MOVIES.

Hollywood also glamorizes smoking.

It's bad for kids.

Think of the CHILDREN!!

BAN ALL SMOKING IN MOVIES.
There has been a pretty big shift in anti-smoking messaging and it is far less dramatized in Hollywood now as it was a few decades ago. Do you think that has made any kind of difference?

I think we have a generalized culture of violence underlying it all, that feeds it, which other cultures don't share. The idea of subjugating nature, "Manifest Destiny" and the whole "rugged individual frontier" crap.

Any of us can literally turn on the TV, the most effective propaganda device ever invented, and within a few minutes find somebody somewhere getting shot, any time of any day or night. I'm not sure that's the case in other places. And it belies a massive mental illness in terms of cultural values that we celebrate and glorify and idolize Death.

Jason Borne
The Taken films
Tarantino

Now the trumpanzees are just throwing blame around everywhere to see if it will stick.

Forum List

Back