DiCaprio/Affleck: TrumpUSA?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Leo DiCaprio and Ben Affleck are two successful American actors whose work in symbolic films such as The Aviator and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice have stamped them as 'celebrity icons.'

Much in media and American culture has changed since the 1990s, thanks in large part to momentous events in pedestrian politics (e.g., LA Race Riots of 1992), new art/music movements (e.g., Seattle Grunge, electronic music), and consumerism developments (e.g., Facebook, TrumpUSA, etc.). Movies today reflect a social interest in fast-paced hustle-bustle living (and networking!), which perhaps explains why DiCaprio and Affleck made the culture-dissection films The Wolf of Wall Street and Argo.

Given this new 'aura' of our consumerism-bent 'TrumpUSA,' how can we evaluate the popularity of artists/celebrities in terms of philosophical 'shifts' in civilization? Such a question can help us better understand the social significance of (for example) the Oakland Raiders (NFL) moving to Las Vegas and the legal case against Napster.

====

As Ben Affleck was planning his new Batman (DC Comics) film, he thought about how he would 'feel' as Batman (the comic book superhero) opposite his co-star Leo DiCaprio who would play Batman's cold nemesis Mr. Freeze. Affleck and DiCaprio were at the White House having Starbucks coffee with the President (Donald Trump) and the First Lady (Melania Trump) who were intrigued by their new comic book adapted film (yet another in a plethora of comic book adapted Hollywood films!) and wanted to know what they both thought of the Oakland Raiders moving to Las Vegas, Nevada.

TRUMP: Congratulations on your new film project --- Batman (DC Comics)!
DICAPRIO: Comics are great, and Ben and I are excited about this project.
AFFLECK: I honestly thought Leo and I would have worked together sooner (I was tied up with Matt Damon!).

TRUMP: So Ben will play Batman and Leo will play 'Mr. Freeze.'
DICAPRIO: That's right. We might equip Mr. Freeze with a liquid-nitrogen gun (some military hinting!).
AFFLECK: Oh, Lockheed-Martin will have a field-day...

TRUMP: Are you two excited about our current 'Planet Hollywood' culture/consciousness?
DICAPRIO: Yes, and this Starbucks coffee is great, right?
AFFLECK: I love consumerism (all of it) --- Starbucks, Facebook, eTrade, etc., etc.

TRUMP: Great. So what do you think about the Oakland Raiders moving to Vegas?
DICAPRIO: Well, I'm still depressed about my Lakers (NBA) not giving the Thomas-Celtics a run this season!
AFFLECK: Oh, if the Leo's Lakers shined this season, my beloved Celtics would have crushed 'em!

TRUMP: Do you think Raiders moving to Vegas is putting former coach John Madden on edge?
DICAPRIO: Well, we all know of those loved Madden NFL video-games, so I'm sure he's pensive.
AFFLECK: Madden was an all-time great, so I'm sure video-game designers will give the move its due.

TRUMP: Do you think Americans are optimistic about our 'consumerism-centric' culture?
DICAPRIO: I think Hollywood has reached out to people daydreaming about the 'borders' of commerce.
AFFLECK: Yes, just look at how popular Sully (Tom Hanks) was and how it focused on transit dangers.

TRUMP: Maybe Melania will really like you two portraying comic book 'vigilantes'!
DICAPRIO: Please be sure to bring her to the premiere!
AFFLECK: The best way to fight anti-Western terrorism is 'civilian happiness'.

====

duet1.jpg

Forum List

Back