Watching the sea ice melt in the arctic 2012!

Not like this

Peak in 1979
19790919.png

Let's be fair and put August 14th 1979 up!

19790814.png

Peak in 1980
19800917.png

Today a month before the peak!
arctic.seaice.color.000.png

How could any thinking human being not see that something huge has charged? You could drive a aircraft carrier through the charge. A change of nearly 4 million sq miles(8.5 million to 4.5 million miles).

Last edited:
If I was a thinking human being, I'd wonder whether during the Med Warm Period (when we didn't have satellites to constantly SCARE US TO DEATH) whether the pictures would be any different.

Still not warm enough in Greenland to reach that point is it?

YEAH --- it makes me uneasy.. But mostly because we need to take the blinders off and figure out WHY the stratosphere is COOLING. Gee -- according to that moldy link OldieRocks keeps posting, the ONE PLACE where Arhenius's prediction SHOULD be coming true is in the higher reaches of the atmosphere where not much water vapor exists.

But yet -- you can't get a straight answer about why the models now predict upper atmos cooling. And UAH and others have MEASURED temperature regulation in the thermosphere (the literal vent at the top of the atmos) that FAR EXCEEDS anyone's expectations. I've TRIED to get an answer as to whether AGW theory predicts Stratosphere warming or cooling -- does anyone here KNOW the definitive answer? I'd appreciate that.

LOTS we don't know and that SOME won't admit we don't know..

Last edited:
Stratospheric Cooling and Tropospheric Warming

Posted on 1 December 2010 by Bob Guercio
This post has been revised at Stratospheric Cooling and Tropospheric Warming - Revised
Increased levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere have resulted in the warming of the troposphere and cooling of the stratosphere. This paper will explain the mechanism involved by considering a model of a fictitious planet with an atmosphere consisting of carbon dioxide and an inert gas such as nitrogen at pressures equivalent to those on earth. This atmosphere will have a troposphere and a stratosphere with the tropopause at 10 km. The initial concentration of carbon dioxide will be 100 parts per million (ppm) and will be increased instantaneously to 1000 ppm and the solar insolation will be 385.906 watts/meter2. Figure 1 is the IR spectrum from a planet with no atmosphere and Figures 2 and 3 represent the same planet with levels of CO2 at 100 ppm and 1000 ppm respectively. These graphs were generated from a model simulator at the website of Dr. David Archer, a professor in the Department of the Geophysical Sciences at the University of Chicago and edited to contain only the curves of interest to this discussion. The parameters were chosen in order to generate diagrams that enable the reader to more easily understand the mechanism discussed herein.

So 1979 but then again in 2012?

If its Global Warming, shouldn't there have been bigger melts since 1979?

THen WHY OldieRocks does the link you've posted THOUSANDS of times say this..

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

So even if water vapor in the lower layers of the atmosphere did entirely block any radiation that could have been absorbed by CO2, that would not keep the gas from making a difference in the rarified and frigid upper layers. Those layers held very little water vapor anyway. And scientists were coming to see that you couldn't just calculate absorption for radiation passing through the atmosphere as a whole, you had to understand what happened in each layer — which was far harder to calculate.

The greenhouse effect will in fact operate even if the absorption of radiation were totally saturated in the lower atmosphere. The planet's temperature is regulated by the thin upper layers where radiation does escape easily into space. Adding more greenhouse gas there will change the balance. Moreover, even a 1% change in that delicate balance would make a serious difference in the planet’s surface temperature. The logic is rather simple once it is grasped, but it takes a new way of looking at the atmosphere — not as a single slab, like the gas in Koch's tube (or the glass over a greenhouse), but as a set of interacting layers. (The full explanation is in the essay on Simple Models, use link at right.)

Say HUH? I thought GW predicted a COOLING in the upper atmos also.. But this kind of conflicting garbage is all over the place to explain the spectral overlap between CO2 and Water Vapor and why it still drives the majority of Climate Change.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n6/full/nclimate1449.html

Multistability and critical thresholds of the Greenland ice sheet
Alexander Robinson,
Reinhard Calov
& Andrey Ganopolski
Affiliations
Contributions
Corresponding author
Nature Climate Change 2,429–432(2012)doi:10.1038/nclimate1449Received 16 February 2011 Accepted 13 February 2012 Published online 11 March 2012

Article tools
Print
Email
Download citation
Order reprints
Rights and permissions

Share/bookmark

Recent studies have focused on the short-term contribution of the Greenland ice sheet to sea-level rise, yet little is known about its long-term stability. The present best estimate of the threshold in global temperature rise leading to complete melting of the ice sheet is 3.1 °C (1.9–5.1 °C, 95% confidence interval) above the preindustrial climate1, determined as the temperature for which the modelled surface mass balance of the present-day ice sheet turns negative. Here, using a fully coupled model, we show that this criterion systematically overestimates the temperature threshold and that the Greenland ice sheet is more sensitive to long-term climate change than previously thought. We estimate that the warming threshold leading to a monostable, essentially ice-free state is in the range of 0.8–3.2 °C, with a best estimate of 1.6 °C. By testing the ice sheet’s ability to regrow after partial mass loss, we find that at least one intermediate equilibrium state is possible, though for sufficiently high initial temperature anomalies, total loss of the ice sheet becomes irreversible. Crossing the threshold alone does not imply rapid melting (for temperatures near the threshold, complete melting takes tens of millennia). However, the timescale of melt depends strongly on the magnitude and duration of the temperature overshoot above this critical threshold.

THen WHY OldieRocks does the link you've posted THOUSANDS of times say this..

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

So even if water vapor in the lower layers of the atmosphere did entirely block any radiation that could have been absorbed by CO2, that would not keep the gas from making a difference in the rarified and frigid upper layers. Those layers held very little water vapor anyway. And scientists were coming to see that you couldn't just calculate absorption for radiation passing through the atmosphere as a whole, you had to understand what happened in each layer — which was far harder to calculate.

The greenhouse effect will in fact operate even if the absorption of radiation were totally saturated in the lower atmosphere. The planet's temperature is regulated by the thin upper layers where radiation does escape easily into space. Adding more greenhouse gas there will change the balance. Moreover, even a 1% change in that delicate balance would make a serious difference in the planet’s surface temperature. The logic is rather simple once it is grasped, but it takes a new way of looking at the atmosphere — not as a single slab, like the gas in Koch's tube (or the glass over a greenhouse), but as a set of interacting layers. (The full explanation is in the essay on Simple Models, use link at right.)

Say HUH? I thought GW predicted a COOLING in the upper atmos also.. But this kind of conflicting garbage is all over the place to explain the spectral overlap between CO2 and Water Vapor and why it still drives the majority of Climate Change.

I cannot help you understand that which you refuse to understand.

So 1979 but then again in 2012?

If its Global Warming, shouldn't there have been bigger melts since 1979?

Your logic escapes me, but there will be much bigger melts in the near future, as in before 2030.

Yes because your models, which totally got the ocean sink wrong, say so.

If it worked as you say (and we know it doesn't) the melt in 1980 should have been greater than in 1979 because more CO2 was added and we all know that's the one and only variable that causes Manmade climate disruption change warmercoolering

Professor Jennifer Francis gave a wonderful presentation of exactly how that works. That you will not watch it, and even if your did, you would not understand it, is your problem, not mine.

Professor Jennifer Francis gave a wonderful presentation of exactly how that works. That you will not watch it, and even if your did, you would not understand it, is your problem, not mine.

How what works? How you have fundamental flaws in your assumptions and your models don't change?

This post has been revised at Stratospheric Cooling and Tropospheric Warming - Revised
Increased levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere have resulted in the warming of the troposphere and cooling of the stratosphere. This paper will explain the mechanism involved by considering a model of a fictitious planet with an atmosphere consisting of carbon dioxide and an inert gas such as nitrogen at pressures equivalent to those on earth. This atmosphere will have a troposphere and a stratosphere with the tropopause at 10 km. The initial concentration of carbon dioxide will be 100 parts per million (ppm) and will be increased instantaneously to 1000 ppm and the solar insolation will be 385.906 watts/meter2. Figure 1 is the IR spectrum from a planet with no atmosphere and Figures 2 and 3 represent the same planet with levels of CO2 at 100 ppm and 1000 ppm respectively. These graphs were generated from a model simulator at the website of Dr. David Archer, a professor in the Department of the Geophysical Sciences at the University of Chicago and edited to contain only the curves of interest to this discussion. The parameters were chosen in order to generate diagrams that enable the reader to more easily understand the mechanism discussed herein.

I don't WANT a fictious planet with no other constituent gases or particles than CO2 and Nitrogen. I want to know how the Combined absorption of WATER VAPOR and CO2 does not saturate in the LOWER atmos and CO2 increases in the UPPER atmos (where there IS no water vapor) don't matter.

One of blog comments pretty well sums up the frustration I'm describing..

For one thing, I'm not sure that there even would be a stratosphere (ie with temperatures increasing with height) if there was no oxygen/ozone in the atmosphere as there is in your model. So it may not make sense to talk about a warmer lower atmosphere causing an even cooler upper atmosphere in such a simplified case.

Also, I understand that other variations, in water vapour, volcanic aerosols, chlorofluorocarbons and methane concentrations, can cause temperature changes in the stratosphere.

Having said that, I don't actually doubt that rising CO2 does result in a cooling stratosphere, I'm just struggling to understand how exactly and by how much.

1979 to 2012 is 33 years. Definately time to establish a very strong trend. In spite of some year to year variation, the trend is down by about 9% per decade, and that trend is accelerating. That is the surface cover trend, the volume trend is much steeper.

I don't WANT a fictious planet with no other constituent gases or particles than CO2 and Nitrogen. I want to know how the Combined absorption of WATER VAPOR and CO2 does not saturate in the LOWER atmos and CO2 increases in the UPPER atmos (where there IS no water vapor) don't matter.

One of blog comments pretty well sums up the frustration I'm describing..

For one thing, I'm not sure that there even would be a stratosphere (ie with temperatures increasing with height) if there was no oxygen/ozone in the atmosphere as there is in your model. So it may not make sense to talk about a warmer lower atmosphere causing an even cooler upper atmosphere in such a simplified case.

Also, I understand that other variations, in water vapour, volcanic aerosols, chlorofluorocarbons and methane concentrations, can cause temperature changes in the stratosphere.

Having said that, I don't actually doubt that rising CO2 does result in a cooling stratosphere, I'm just struggling to understand how exactly and by how much.

Crap, Flatulance, try reading some scientific material from peer reviewed journals, instead of blogs. One should seek knowledge from those more intelligent or knowledgable than themselves, not misinformation from those equally ignorant.

Forum List

Back