Was Moore banned from a local mall due to his inappropriate activities?

Roy Moore, now a Republican Senate candidate, was known for “badgering teenage girls” at an Alabama mall in the 1980s, The New Yorker reports.

Reporter Charles Bethea spoke with over a dozen people who worked or spent time at the Gadsden Mall during that time. They said there were many rumors that Moore was on a list of people banned from the establishment.

Greg Legat, who worked at the mall in the 1980s, told Bethea that he remembers Moore was banned from the shopping center starting around 1979. Legat recalled that the mall was often “filled” with unchaperoned teens.

A local police officer, J.D. Thomas, reportedly often asked Legat to keep an eye out for Moore. ”‘If you see Moore here, tell me. I’ll take care of him,’” Legat remembers Thomas telling him, according to The New Yorker.

Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson reported Sunday that he had heard similar allegations: “Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls.”

Other people who frequented the mall during the 1980s told The New Yorker they believed Moore had been banned for “trying to pick up younger girls.”

Two police officers who worked in the area at the time also told Bethea that Moore was known for hanging around the mall to find dates.

“The general knowledge at the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the mall for high-school dates,” one officer said. “I was told by a girl who worked at the mall that he’d been run off from there, from a number of stores. Maybe not legally banned, but run off.”

Roy Moore May Have Been Banned From A Mall For Harassing Teen Girls In 1980s | HuffPost

Usually when I read about these sex scandals--especially from decades ago, I'm skeptical to believe any of them. I didn't believe all this stuff about Moore either because again, no evidence to support the case of the women making the accusations.

If this report has any validity, I think I will change my mind on this. If there are records showing Moore was banned from the mall due to the activities he's now being accused of, it's an open and shut case as far as I'm concerned.

I realize there are dozens of posts about Moore, but this is a game changer which is why I posted it.

Statements by self proclaimed victims are evidence. Since there has been nothing exculpatory to refute these statements - which legally are a form of direct evidence, you are offering an opinion defending someone you don't know and question - at best - the evidence and their integrity.

No mob of people on the left are yelling "lock him up", the calls for his rejection by his fellow Republicans ought to give a right winger like Ray a moments pause.

Statements that are unsubstaniated by any other evidence are worth about as much as the testimony in the Salem witch trials. It's exactly the same kind of evidence, as a matter of fact.

Statements that are independently verified by multiple sources have credibility

Whether he was formally banned from the mall or not is irrelevant

The issue is his creepy stalking behavior towards young girls
If you're using a claimed mall ban to support your accusation that he molested young girls, then the actual lack of such a ban is an issue.

If you had the capacity to commit logic, you would understand that. Apparently you believe that the fact that all your "evidence" has been proven to be bullshit isn't an obstacle to people believing your claims.

Was it a formal ban as in....if you show up here we will have you arrested
Or was it someone going up to him and saying......we are watching you and you better cut it out

What is clear and has been affirmed by many sources, Roy was engaging in inappropriate behavior that drew the attention of those who frequented the mall

Such claims 40 years after they occured are totally worthless. If it wasn't a formal ban, then it wasn't a ban. It's gossip. I'm sure if you polled all the Dims in the town you could get half of them to say Moore dated space aliens.

Roy Moore, now a Republican Senate candidate, was known for “badgering teenage girls” at an Alabama mall in the 1980s, The New Yorker reports.

Reporter Charles Bethea spoke with over a dozen people who worked or spent time at the Gadsden Mall during that time. They said there were many rumors that Moore was on a list of people banned from the establishment.

Greg Legat, who worked at the mall in the 1980s, told Bethea that he remembers Moore was banned from the shopping center starting around 1979. Legat recalled that the mall was often “filled” with unchaperoned teens.

A local police officer, J.D. Thomas, reportedly often asked Legat to keep an eye out for Moore. ”‘If you see Moore here, tell me. I’ll take care of him,’” Legat remembers Thomas telling him, according to The New Yorker.

Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson reported Sunday that he had heard similar allegations: “Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls.”

Other people who frequented the mall during the 1980s told The New Yorker they believed Moore had been banned for “trying to pick up younger girls.”

Two police officers who worked in the area at the time also told Bethea that Moore was known for hanging around the mall to find dates.

“The general knowledge at the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the mall for high-school dates,” one officer said. “I was told by a girl who worked at the mall that he’d been run off from there, from a number of stores. Maybe not legally banned, but run off.”

Roy Moore May Have Been Banned From A Mall For Harassing Teen Girls In 1980s | HuffPost

Usually when I read about these sex scandals--especially from decades ago, I'm skeptical to believe any of them. I didn't believe all this stuff about Moore either because again, no evidence to support the case of the women making the accusations.

If this report has any validity, I think I will change my mind on this. If there are records showing Moore was banned from the mall due to the activities he's now being accused of, it's an open and shut case as far as I'm concerned.

I realize there are dozens of posts about Moore, but this is a game changer which is why I posted it.

Statements by self proclaimed victims are evidence. Since there has been nothing exculpatory to refute these statements - which legally are a form of direct evidence, you are offering an opinion defending someone you don't know and question - at best - the evidence and their integrity.

No mob of people on the left are yelling "lock him up", the calls for his rejection by his fellow Republicans ought to give a right winger like Ray a moments pause.

Statements that are unsubstaniated by any other evidence are worth about as much as the testimony in the Salem witch trials. It's exactly the same kind of evidence, as a matter of fact.

What statements have been verified? The stepson of the yearbook woman says his mom is a big fat liar.

If you're using a claimed mall ban to support your accusation that he molested young girls, then the actual lack of such a ban is an issue.

If you had the capacity to commit logic, you would understand that. Apparently you believe that the fact that all your "evidence" has been proven to be bullshit isn't an obstacle to people believing your claims.

Or was it someone going up to him and saying......we are watching you and you better cut it out

What is clear and has been affirmed by many sources, Roy was engaging in inappropriate behavior that drew the attention of those who frequented the mall

Such claims 40 years after they occured are totally worthless. If it wasn't a formal ban, then it wasn't a ban. It's gossip. I'm sure if you polled all the Dims in the town you could get half of them to say Moore dated space aliens.

Fingerboy

How many malls have you been banned from?

Fingerboy

Are you accusing me of being a child molester?

Fingerboy

Of course not

Just someone who does not know how to behave in public....hence your avi of a child making an obscene gesture

Fingerboy

The reality is that most people banned from Malls is for skateboarding.

Are you accusing Bripat of skateboarding in a Mall?

The bastard!

Fingerboy

Of course not

Just someone who does not know how to behave in public....hence your avi of a child making an obscene gesture

You apparently have difficulty distinguishing an avatar from reality.

Fingerboy

The reality is that most people banned from Malls is for skateboarding.

Are you accusing Bripat of skateboarding in a Mall?

The bastard!

That would be one of his better qualities

You lie like you breathe.

Why is Moore afraid to go under oath?

It's not being afraid to, it's just that you don't give fodder to things like this.
Moore has blundered since this thing first came up

His denials and victim hood ring shallow

He should have said that was a character flaw from 40 years ago and there is no recent evidence

If there is no evidence, why admit guilt?
Because if you lie it will come back to bite you? If Moore is guilty, that is when he should have said it was a character flaw from 40 years ago and he was deeply ashamed and regretful. If he is innocent he should stand with the truth. Either way, he sounds like he loved young, nubile girls just as many men do but with maturity have buried any prurient intentions. Men like young women. Why? It makes THEM feel virile and masculine and young.

Evolution has designed men to be attracted to women of child bearing age, no matter how old the men are. That's how nature ensures the species is propagated.
Hence the disgusting practice of child brides.

What statements have been verified? The stepson of the yearbook woman says his mom is a big fat liar.
Strpson. You think there might be some bad blood detween them?

I really can't feel sorry for Republican voters in Alabama

You were given the option of a traditional Republican who has a long career in politics and represents Conservative values

But you pushed him aside and said....I want Crazy Judge Moore because he hates homos and stands for Jesus

You deserve what you get

I really can't feel sorry for Republican voters in Alabama

You were given the option of a traditional Republican who has a long career in politics and represents Conservative values

But you pushed him aside and said....I want Crazy Judge Moore because he hates homos and stands for Jesus

You deserve what you get

Is that what they said? :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Of course it's relevant. If there was no ban it means that this is a BS story like so many others. I was fair about it when I created the topic. I said that if there really was a ban, that pretty much is the nail in the coffin. But since the story posted, there seems to be no documentation whatsoever about this ban.

dude we have Wolf Blitzer interviewing her she said no. so we have the her actual words.

It's not being afraid to, it's just that you don't give fodder to things like this.

He should have said that was a character flaw from 40 years ago and there is no recent evidence

Because if you lie it will come back to bite you? If Moore is guilty, that is when he should have said it was a character flaw from 40 years ago and he was deeply ashamed and regretful. If he is innocent he should stand with the truth. Either way, he sounds like he loved young, nubile girls just as many men do but with maturity have buried any prurient intentions. Men like young women. Why? It makes THEM feel virile and masculine and young.

No, it's just they are cuter and hotter. :thanks:

Young women are one thing and children are another. Adults who are sexually attracted to children are like that their entire life. There is no cure for it. Even the best psychologists will tell you desire never leaves. The only thing law can do is try to stop the actions the desire brings.

So I find it a little difficult to believe that this guy had such urges and all of a sudden overnight, he was able to stop them. It's almost like trying to believe there are homosexuals who stopped being attracted to the same sex.

well he has more credibility being around her than anyone right? bring in the yearbook to be authenticated. why is that difficult? it merely points to the fact the stepson or strpson is truthful.

Asking a girl out on a date is not being creepy idiot. No proof of stalking either. You really need to give your lies up.

Ya think?

And how in the world would he know anyway?

No, it's just they are cuter and hotter. :thanks:

Young women are one thing and children are another. Adults who are sexually attracted to children are like that their entire life. There is no cure for it. Even the best psychologists will tell you desire never leaves. The only thing law can do is try to stop the actions the desire brings.

So I find it a little difficult to believe that this guy had such urges and all of a sudden overnight, he was able to stop them. It's almost like trying to believe there are homosexuals who stopped being attracted to the same sex.

Thank you for putting that out there. It's along the lines of a "leopard cannot change its spots".

Picture it. Alabama early 80's. Moore sexually harassing young girls. He would have been asked out on a hunting trip. Trying to hit on a girl at the YMCA? Brother or father punching him out on the spot.

The sexual harassment just didn't happen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back