WA state 7th to allow gay marriage........

Once again you are confusing GOP with conservative.

There is a difference.

There is a difference but not so great as after both made their Faustian bargain with the religious right and social conservatives, the very faction that opposed the Civil Rights movement.

Indeed, the success of the Civil Rights movement drove social conservatives from the Democratic Party to the republican during the late ‘60s and early ‘70s. Republicans, desperate to break the stranglehold democrats had on Congress, accepted these radicals and extremists believing they could ‘control’ them.

The rest is infamy

Well the "once again" part I might debate to be in error, but on this and this issue alone, I agree that Republicans are on the wrong side. We have always been the party of equal rights and indeed were founded to ensure an end to slavery. We were the driving forced behind the civil rights movement (not the Democrats as so many people erroneously believe). The GOP has always stood for equality in regards to such things. Our opposition to gay rights is a violation of the very principles upon which our party was founded.

Don't get excited now, Chris.....my support of your position will likely never happen again.

My GOP was not founded to further equal rights. It was founded to protect economic opportunity for the white farmer and laborer from slave labor. That the GOP moved so quickly toward civil rights was because of the (1) evolution of Abraham Lincoln's sense of rightness about race relations, and (2) the Party's desire to create a permanent majority by making the southern states GOP through black male and scalaway/carpetbag white voters. One of my great great and so forth was engaged in a number of shoot outs in LA with the evil redeemers. He lost a number of relatives, but the family ended up being the righteous rain of wrath on the kluckers. They backed off eventually.

But to Trajan's point, I generally agree with him.

I never said we were founded to create equal rights. I said we were founded to end slavery. Big difference. During the civil rights movement the GOP fought for equal rights. My father, for example, was steadfast in religion and conservative thought. He was also a Freedom Rider. It was the Democrats who were trying to lynch him for supporting equal rights.

Regardless, the point remains that historically (as CCJ points out and I did earlier) the GOP have historically been the ones who support equality while Democrats are the ones who fight to maintain discrimination and inequality. How the GOP ended up on the wrong side of this issue (at least in this Republican's opinion) is a mystery to me.....well....actually it's not. I know exactly why we came down on the side we did and I shake my head in disgust at the reason.

Southern Democrats?
At that time there were few if any southern Republicans.
Most of the Freedom Riders were Democrats.

I don't know what's more satisfying; the fact that gays can marry or that conservative assholes are pissed off about it.

I still am perplexed as to what 'rights' gays don't have.

Equal access to the laws.

And where are they enumerated?

Here:

14th Amendment, Section One

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I don't know what's more satisfying; the fact that gays can marry or that conservative assholes are pissed off about it.

Assholes be they left wing liberal Democrat or right wing conservative Republicans are never in short supply.

My GOP was not founded to further equal rights. It was founded to protect economic opportunity for the white farmer and laborer from slave labor. That the GOP moved so quickly toward civil rights was because of the (1) evolution of Abraham Lincoln's sense of rightness about race relations, and (2) the Party's desire to create a permanent majority by making the southern states GOP through black male and scalaway/carpetbag white voters. One of my great great and so forth was engaged in a number of shoot outs in LA with the evil redeemers. He lost a number of relatives, but the family ended up being the righteous rain of wrath on the kluckers. They backed off eventually.

But to Trajan's point, I generally agree with him.

I never said we were founded to create equal rights. I said we were founded to end slavery. Big difference. During the civil rights movement the GOP fought for equal rights. My father, for example, was steadfast in religion and conservative thought. He was also a Freedom Rider. It was the Democrats who were trying to lynch him for supporting equal rights.

Regardless, the point remains that historically (as CCJ points out and I did earlier) the GOP have historically been the ones who support equality while Democrats are the ones who fight to maintain discrimination and inequality. How the GOP ended up on the wrong side of this issue (at least in this Republican's opinion) is a mystery to me.....well....actually it's not. I know exactly why we came down on the side we did and I shake my head in disgust at the reason.

Southern Democrats?
At that time there were few if any southern Republicans.

All of them were Democrats. The Republicans in the South supported segregation and Jim Crow at that time. Check the voting on Civil Rights and the Voting acts. The Republicans in Congress from the South voted 100% against them. The overwhelming majority of Democrats did as well.

The misreading of GOP history during the 1860s and 1870s is appalling. Much was good, some of it was awful, the worst being the giving up of Reconstruction to the bastard white redeemers of the conservative Democratic Party in 1877.

I honor my Republican Party, particularly its northern and western members in the House and the Senate that fought the good fight in the 1960s. I won't have it besmirched with bad history.

Another exhibition of state totalitarianism. Another incidents of a state imposing itself on the people.

It's not like the people in Washington generally approve of this.

Another exhibition of state totalitarianism. Another incidents of a state imposing itself on the people.

It's not like the people in Washington generally approve of this.

"Of voters surveyed, 55 percent indicated they would uphold a Legislature-approved same-sex marriage law if it were challenged by referendum. The poll found 38 percent would oppose the law and 7 percent were undecided."​

Politics Northwest | UW poll finds support for gay marriage law | Seattle Times Newspaper

>>>>

Please post documentation to support that claim with the appropriate link. I want to see where someone counted up all the freedom riders, asked their political leanings, and recorded it for posterity.

This is common knowledge and if you want to find out if different, YOU check the common facts.

In other words, you can't. And I am not the one making the claim. The burden of proof does not lay with me.

Please post documentation to support that claim with the appropriate link. I want to see where someone counted up all the freedom riders, asked their political leanings, and recorded it for posterity.

This is common knowledge and if you want to find out if different, YOU check the common facts.

In other words, you can't. And I am not the one making the claim. The burden of proof does not lay with me.

No, you have contradicted common acceptance of this fact. The burden is on you. And I guarantee you that if you tried this in a college or university class, the prof would put the burden on you.

Go for it, or fail.

Forum List

Back