WA state 7th to allow gay marriage........

This is common knowledge and if you want to find out if different, YOU check the common facts.

In other words, you can't. And I am not the one making the claim. The burden of proof does not lay with me.

No, you have contradicted common acceptance of this fact. The burden is on you. And I guarantee you that if you tried this in a college or university class, the prof would put the burden on you.

Go for it, or fail.

More like your own assumption. If it's so commonly accepted that the Freedom Riders were liberal it should be easy for the one making that claim to find a link to back up the statement. I find it so interesting how liberals on USMB always scream for links to support a Republican's claim but when the roles are reversed it becomes "we don't have to, it's obvious".

In other words, you can't. And I am not the one making the claim. The burden of proof does not lay with me.

No, you have contradicted common acceptance of this fact. The burden is on you. And I guarantee you that if you tried this in a college or university class, the prof would put the burden on you.

Go for it, or fail.

More like your own assumption. If it's so commonly accepted that the Freedom Riders were liberal it should be easy for the one making that claim to find a link to back up the statement. I find it so interesting how liberals on USMB always scream for links to support a Republican's claim but when the roles are reversed it becomes "we don't have to, it's obvious".

I am from that era.
Back then liberal Democrat was not a bad name.
When you are dodging police batons to the head and attack dogs NO ONE gives a shit about political party.
As a party the Democrats first offered civil rights legislation. As a party they first passed that legislation.

Most of the Freedom Riders were Democrats.

Please post documentation to support that claim with the appropriate link. I want to see where someone counted up all the freedom riders, asked their political leanings, and recorded it for posterity.

Well Moe, let us take a good look at the facts:
How many Democratic politicians do you want me to list here that were marching with Dr. King and later ran as Democrats? I can name as many as you can count.
Now how many Republican politicians are there that marched with Dr. Kingthat later ran as Republicans?
The answer is less than one.
And I am Republican!
Now let me appeal to your reason and common sense. I will give you the benefit of the doubt:
Guess why all those dudes that marched with King ran as Democrats after their civil rights work?
Could it be that most of their supporters were Democrats?
WELL DUH!

Last edited:
"Of voters surveyed, 55 percent indicated they would uphold a Legislature-approved same-sex marriage law if it were challenged by referendum.

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government…

US Constitution, Article IV, Section 4

This obsession with referenda is troubling and dangerous; if one is opposed to a given measure enacted by an elected representative body, then seek remedy either through the legislative process or file suit in court – the notion that the general population should determine one’s civil rights is anathema to the rule of law.

All opposed to gay marriage:
How does it affect you and your marriage?

It doesn’t.

But it has to do with this rightist idiocy concerning the myth of ‘states’ rights.’

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Gov. Chris Gregoire has signed into law a bill that legalizes gay marriage in Washington state, making it the nation's seventh to allow gay and lesbian couples to wed.

It's a historic moment, but same-sex couples can't walk down the aisle just yet.

The law takes effect June 7, but opponents are already mounting challenges on multiple fronts.

Opponents planned to file a challenge Monday that could put the law on hold pending the outcome of a November vote.

Separately, an initiative was filed at the beginning of the session that opponents of gay marriage say could lead to the new law being overturned.

Gregoire signed the bill Monday morning. It passed the House on Wednesday, a week after Senate approval.

"We are thrilled," said Lisa M. Stone, executive director of Legal Voice, a nonprofit that advocates for gay and lesbian rights. "After amazing support from both the Senate and the House earlier this month, signing the marriage equality bill late this morning was the next step toward providing equal treatment for all loving and committed families."

U.S. News - Wash. governor signs gay marriage bill into law

I hope this keeps up.

Being a WA state voter, I am annoyed. This went before the people and we turned it down (I didn't vote one way or another on it) and our "representatives" have not listened to us. Same way with Quest field. Not discussing the right or wrong aspect of gay marriage, I'm sick of not being represented by the people we put into power. Heck, we had an initiative to limit the license tabs on cars to $30 and our governor just signed a bill adding another $40, once again ignoring the voters.

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Gov. Chris Gregoire has signed into law a bill that legalizes gay marriage in Washington state, making it the nation's seventh to allow gay and lesbian couples to wed.

It's a historic moment, but same-sex couples can't walk down the aisle just yet.

The law takes effect June 7, but opponents are already mounting challenges on multiple fronts.

Opponents planned to file a challenge Monday that could put the law on hold pending the outcome of a November vote.

Separately, an initiative was filed at the beginning of the session that opponents of gay marriage say could lead to the new law being overturned.

Gregoire signed the bill Monday morning. It passed the House on Wednesday, a week after Senate approval.

"We are thrilled," said Lisa M. Stone, executive director of Legal Voice, a nonprofit that advocates for gay and lesbian rights. "After amazing support from both the Senate and the House earlier this month, signing the marriage equality bill late this morning was the next step toward providing equal treatment for all loving and committed families."

I hope this keeps up.

Being a WA state voter, I am annoyed. This went before the people and we turned it down (I didn't vote one way or another on it) and our "representatives" have not listened to us. Same way with Quest field. Not discussing the right or wrong aspect of gay marriage, I'm sick of not being represented by the people we put into power. Heck, we had an initiative to limit the license tabs on cars to $30 and our governor just signed a bill adding another $40, once again ignoring the voters.

Why are you against gay marriage Sniper Kitty?

I hope this keeps up.

Being a WA state voter, I am annoyed. This went before the people and we turned it down (I didn't vote one way or another on it) and our "representatives" have not listened to us.

Could you provide some details like an initiative or referendum number, even a year might be helpful.

>>>>

Yanno...........because there is a LARGE military presence in Washington State, and they've just legalized gay marriage and the military has gotten rid of DADT, I wonder how long it's gonna take before military members start getting married there?

Why are you against gay marriage Sniper Kitty?

I'm not, per se. I'm against the government going against the people. didn't you read the part where I didn't vote one way or another on the issue? The truth is that when I was in highschool I was certain gays should have the same rights to marry as heterosexuals. But when I had kids, suddenly I didn't know as much as I knew in highschool. Truth is I don't know what the effect will be on society one way or another which is why I remain nuetral on the issue at this point in time.

Being a WA state voter, I am annoyed. This went before the people and we turned it down (I didn't vote one way or another on it) and our "representatives" have not listened to us.

Could you provide some details like an initiative or referendum number, even a year might be helpful.

>>>>

It was about 5 years ago. It's been mentioned in news articles recently.

Why are people for it?can we not say NO into not allowing alternative lifestyles be considered the norm?

i think it's because the younger generation doesn't care about restricting rights for other people. they just don't care if other groups have the same rights that they have.

this whole thing is playing out the same way that women's suffrage and interracial marriage played out. it just takes time.

Not discussing the right or wrong aspect of gay marriage,

OK, here is your chance. Our laws are built on the principle, embodied in the equal protection and due process clause of State Constitutions as we'll as the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution and that like situated citizens should not be discriminated against by the government without a compelling government interest. Neither tradition or religion are compelling reasons for government to discriminate.

So, please articulate a secular compelling government interests on why law abiding, tax paying, US citizen, infertile, consenting, adults in a different-sex couples should be treated differently than law abiding, tax paying, US citizen, infertile, consenting, adults in a same-sex couples.

>>>>

Why are people for it?can we not say NO into not allowing alternative lifestyles be considered the norm?

i think it's because the younger generation doesn't care about restricting rights for other people. they just don't care if other groups have the same rights that they have.

this whole thing is playing out the same way that women's suffrage and interracial marriage played out. it just takes time.

I think it's because the younger generation has lost all sense of values and falls in line with the "if it feels good, do it" philosophy.

Just today on facebook some idiot was bragging about how he owed a cell phone company $400 from when he was 18 and they can go to H*ll. He has no regrets, doesn't feel responsible for that debt and doesn't think he should ever have to pay it.

The values that were instilled in me when I was a kid, just aren't there anymore.

A lot of kids are playing around with sex, with anyone, and they will get burned, then they'll blame society. It's crazy. Sex is something that should ONLY be shared between two people who love each other. (and I don't care the sex) But with hollywood and other media telling our kids that one night stands are okay, they have sex with anyone and they think they not only have that right, but that it's right for them to do so.

Forum List

Back