Vulgar voicemails force debt collector to pay $1.5 million

Most collection agents are slime. Scaring people into paying is part of their job.

Most bounty hunters are assholes, too, doesn't mean they don't provide a benefit to society. In both professions, there can be bad apples that go to far.

Why are you not putting the blame where it lies - on the people who borrowed money, and didn't pay it back? Don't borrow unless you know for 100% fact you can pay it back without delay..

You are assuming that all debts claimed by a collection agency are valid. This is simply not the case. They make mistakes all the time. I personally had the experience of checking my credit report to find a debt that I had already paid was now being pursued by another collection agency. I had to send them a copy of the canceled check and check my report again to make sure the item was off. I believe it was an honest mistake on their part, but point is, collection agencies are wrong all the time.

I also have a collection out for a $50 alltel bill (now owned by verizon) that I do not owe. I disconnected my phone 3 days after the billing rollover date, and they told me on the phone since I hadn't used the phone in those 3 days, I should not be billed for that month, but if I was, to call them and they would remove the charge. I was billed, they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about when I called them back, and now they have assigned the debt to collection. I don't pay debts I don't owe.

But I guess you would - since the corporation is always right in your world.

Fact is, YOU TOOK CARE OF IT. If it's not your bill, fine - take care of it. If it IS your bill, don't just sit on your ass waiting for it to go away

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Oh, and don't waste your time trying to put words in my mouth about corporations when I specifically said no such thing even remotely close. It simply makes you look small and petty.

Actually, you specifically said you were *late*.
The collection agency is still bound by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act is a law which anyone who wants to can read - such as a potential creditor. Whoever loaned Sky Dancer the money was well aware that they -or their agents- would not be able to legally call Sky Dancer at work to collect the money should Sky Dancer not be making payments on time and should Sky Dancer tell them to not contact Sky Dancer at work.

Perhaps if Sky Dancer had taken the *responsible* road, and contacted them prior to them having to *find* her, things would not have progressed as they had, huh? Especially since bill collectors generally send a *few* letters prior to calling. She chose to ignore them.. She also CHOSE to ignore the initial letter they send stating specifically WHEN she is to start paying back her student loans, and those letters are generally dated more than 60 days IN ADVANCE.

She willfully chose to ignore them, and then started crying when they found her.

If the debt collector had chosen to follow the law, she would not have been harassed at work.

But corporations should not be bound by law, they should be above it.

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act is a law which anyone who wants to can read - such as a potential creditor. Whoever loaned Sky Dancer the money was well aware that they -or their agents- would not be able to legally call Sky Dancer at work to collect the money should Sky Dancer not be making payments on time and should Sky Dancer tell them to not contact Sky Dancer at work.

Perhaps if Sky Dancer had taken the *responsible* road, and contacted them prior to them having to *find* her, things would not have progressed as they had, huh? Especially since bill collectors generally send a *few* letters prior to calling. She chose to ignore them.. She also CHOSE to ignore the initial letter they send stating specifically WHEN she is to start paying back her student loans, and those letters are generally dated more than 60 days IN ADVANCE.

She willfully chose to ignore them, and then started crying when they found her.

If the debt collector had chosen to follow the law, she would not have been harassed at work.

It's interesting that corporations get a pass but individuals must follow the law.

Damn, Whinyman, can you get any more stupid? I stated - quite clearly for anyone with an IQ over 40 - that I agreed with the verdict.... that is not blaming the victim....

I didn't say that was blaming the victim. This is blaming the victim :

If he'd paid his debts, it wouldn't have happened
Really? Then give me your phone number.
I said that the MESSAGE that the verdict will send will not just be to the debt collection agencies - who are perfectly legitimate businesses.... the MESSAGE will be to other potential 'victims' that they too can not pay their debts and walk away with $1.5m for hurt feelings.

Why do you assume the disputed debt was valid? Do you possess any of the facts that one would need to determine whether or not the disputed debt is valid - or do you just always assume that the corporation is right, and the individual is wrong?

Personally, I find it offensive that real victims are left to suffer and this asshole walks away with $1.5m..... Not surprisingly you're too fucking stupid to think logically.
Ms CaliGirl Who is Not Blaming the Victim, what makes him an asshole? Is his trust fund bigger than yours now?

No. Saying 'but for his actions - ie if he had paid his debt - it wouldn't have happened' is not "blaming the victim".... It is stating a fact. If he wasn't in debt to them, they wouldn't have called him at all. Moron.

And.... for the record... for you to constantly raise my personal circumstances show a streak of petty jealousy.... Just so you know.... It makes you look rather pathetic and whiny. And.... no..... it isn't. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Now you can really be jealous. :lol::lol::lol:

Why are you not putting the blame where it lies - on the people who borrowed money, and didn't pay it back? Don't borrow unless you know for 100% fact you can pay it back without delay..

You are assuming that all debts claimed by a collection agency are valid. This is simply not the case. They make mistakes all the time. I personally had the experience of checking my credit report to find a debt that I had already paid was now being pursued by another collection agency. I had to send them a copy of the canceled check and check my report again to make sure the item was off. I believe it was an honest mistake on their part, but point is, collection agencies are wrong all the time.

I also have a collection out for a $50 alltel bill (now owned by verizon) that I do not owe. I disconnected my phone 3 days after the billing rollover date, and they told me on the phone since I hadn't used the phone in those 3 days, I should not be billed for that month, but if I was, to call them and they would remove the charge. I was billed, they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about when I called them back, and now they have assigned the debt to collection. I don't pay debts I don't owe.

Fact is, YOU TOOK CARE OF IT. If it's not your bill, fine - take care of it. If it IS your bill, don't just sit on your ass waiting for it to go away

Oh, and don't waste your time trying to put words in my mouth about corporations when I specifically said no such thing even remotely close. It simply makes you look small and petty.
And you look wise and generous.

The incident I wrote about occurred in 1979. I was a young adult and not hip to the ways of the world. I learned the hard way. The only debt I have now is a mortgage.

It doesn't matter. You were *wrong*, and to this day, you're still whining about how "unfairly" you were treated, even though it was 100% without a doubt YOUR FAULT. You are STILL trying to lay the blame elsewhere, instead of looking at who INITIATED the problem in the first place - YOURSELF.

I was wrong to not pay the debt in a timely manner. I did not deserve to be harassed at work. That happens to be against the law. I was wrong in being late with my payment. The collection agency was wrong in harassing me at work.

So.. Your creditor deserves to be punished and you don't?

What a load of shit. Speaks volumes about you as a person, too.

Did you have a letter stating that your employer does not allow personal calls at work? Did you send them a copy of this letter? Doubtful one even existed.

Actually, you specifically said you were *late*.

anyone who can read, a legion which apparently doesn't include you, would know that as long as the collector doesn't know that sky dancer's employer doesn't allow calls of this type, it's perfectly legal to call her at work. whether or not sky dancer wants to be called at work has nothing to do with it.

Can a debt collector contact me by phone?

Yes, but within limits. A debt collector cannot:

Call you before 8 a.m. and after 9 p.m. unless you agree.Call you repeatedly or use the phone to harass you.Trick you into accepting collect calls or paying for telegrams. Use obscene language, make negative comments about your character, or make religious or ethnic slurs.

Call you at work if the collector knows your boss does not allow such calls.

If you have an attorney, the collector should call that person, not you.

Debt Collection Practices: When Hardball Tactics Go Too Far | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

(a) Communication with the consumer generally
Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt—
(1) at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or which should be known to be inconvenient to the consumer. In the absence of knowledge of circumstances to the contrary, a debt collector shall assume that the convenient time for communicating with a consumer is after 8 o’clock antemeridian and before 9 o’clock postmeridian, local time at the consumer’s location;

If Sky Dancer told them to not call her at work, then that means it is now known to the collector that it is not convenient to call her at work - so they must cease calling her at work.

The incident I wrote about occurred in 1979. I was a young adult and not hip to the ways of the world. I learned the hard way. The only debt I have now is a mortgage.

It doesn't matter. You were *wrong*, and to this day, you're still whining about how "unfairly" you were treated, even though it was 100% without a doubt YOUR FAULT. You are STILL trying to lay the blame elsewhere, instead of looking at who INITIATED the problem in the first place - YOURSELF.

Its not her fault that the collector chose to violate the law.

Oh, wait, I forgot, corporate citizens always right, human citizens always wrong.

Obviously, in your world individuals should not be bound by law, regardless of the fact that they're stealing money from corporations by agreeing to specific terms and then just changing their mind as they see fit.

Sky Dancer should have ended up in jail for theft.:eusa_whistle:

There are no debtors prisons dis.

Here's a resource:

http://Dear Sir or Madam: I am w...es/seniors_initiative/cc_debtcollection.shtml

Last edited:

I was wrong to not pay the debt in a timely manner. I did not deserve to be harassed at work. That happens to be against the law. I was wrong in being late with my payment. The collection agency was wrong in harassing me at work.

The collection agency can do no wrong - they are a business.

OK - the plaintiff in this case disputes the debt - you appear to assuming he is wrong and the corporation is right on the issue of whether or not the debt is valid. So you favor the corporation.

anyone who can read, a legion which apparently doesn't include you, would know that as long as the collector doesn't know that sky dancer's employer doesn't allow calls of this type, it's perfectly legal to call her at work. whether or not sky dancer wants to be called at work has nothing to do with it.

Call you before 8 a.m. and after 9 p.m. unless you agree.Call you repeatedly or use the phone to harass you.Trick you into accepting collect calls or paying for telegrams. Use obscene language, make negative comments about your character, or make religious or ethnic slurs.

Debt Collection Practices: When Hardball Tactics Go Too Far | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt—
(1) at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or which should be known to be inconvenient to the consumer. In the absence of knowledge of circumstances to the contrary, a debt collector shall assume that the convenient time for communicating with a consumer is after 8 o’clock antemeridian and before 9 o’clock postmeridian, local time at the consumer’s location;

If Sky Dancer told them to not call her at work, then that means it is now known to the collector that it is not convenient to call her at work - so they must cease calling her at work.

if pigs had wings, they'd be birds.

the only reference sky dancer has made to them calling her at work is her bleating that she was *harrassed* at work. adults call this assuming facts not in evidence. i'm sure you call it winning. :lol:

So the guy fighting for his country halfway around the world loses his home over $800 in unpaid homeowners dues, and this guy gets $1.5 million for having to endure being called a ******.

Sounds fair.

It's interesting that corporations get a pass but individuals must follow the law.

I have a friend who does consumer law. He told me that credit card companies rarely have to actually produce a signed copy of the contract they have with the customer in court. Instead, they show up to court with an unsigned copy of a contract they claim the defendant signed, he objects, the judge overrules him in favor of the corporation - just assuming that they would not lie.

OK - the plaintiff in this case disputes the debt - you appear to assuming he is wrong and the corporation is right on the issue of whether or not the debt is valid. So you favor the corporation.

Show me precisely where I said any such thing. My comments have been limited to the specific example Sky Dancer gave. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Again, stop trying to put words into my mouth.

Saying 'but for his actions - ie if he had paid his debt - it wouldn't have happened' is not "blaming the victim".....

Yes it is. It is in fact, textbook blaming the victim. Its like saying "if she hadn't dress like a tramp, she wouldn't have been raped"

Especially considering the fact the debt may not have even been valid!

If he wasn't in debt to them, they wouldn't have called him at all. Moron.

Didn't you say in another thread that you do not trust corporations? The debt is disputed by the plaintiff - why do you assume he is wrong and the collection agency is right?

Seems to me you place unlimited trust in the corporation - or at least, collection agencies. "If he wasn't in debt to them, they wouldn't have called him at all" - apparently collection agencies NEVER call people that don't actually owe the debt they claim they owe - debt collection agencies are infallible according to you!

Last edited:
What I have learned from this thread is to stop using personal examples to illustrate my view. Further, to cultivate patience with all posters, regardless of the content of the post.

Last edited:

if pigs had wings, they'd be birds.

the only reference sky dancer has made to them calling her at work is her bleating that she was *harrassed* at work. adults call this assuming facts not in evidence. i'm sure you call it winning. :lol:

This happened many years ago. What kind of facts do you need, del? A time machine?

Do us all a favor and stop being an asshole. You can continue to be an ignorant moron because you can't help it, but someone who is a dick when they make obviously incorrect statements is just pathetic.

TUba: Legally, it is not harassment for a debt collector to call you at work unless you tell them - either orally or in writing - that you do not want them calling you at work. So if they called you at work once - its not harassment - but if you told them to never call you there again and they called again, esp. if they called multiple times again (since they might reasonably call again by mistake), it is harassment and you'd be entitled to statutory damages.

Sky Dancer:That's exactly what happened. I didn't know I was entitled to damages. I would have settled for them leaving me alone or just working out a payment plan.

Forum List

Back