Vulgar voicemails force debt collector to pay $1.5 million

I agree that the company needed to be punished. It's illegal to harass people when attempting to collect a debt. Add to that the vulgar racist verbiage, and yes, the company needed substantial punitive damages to send a message to them and their industry.

Apparently, this was all over a $200 debt which the guy said he had paid.

This wasn't a few minutes of ranting. This was a campaign of abuse. I value my privacy and peace more than 1.5 million dollars.

Eight calls. Yea, that must have been hell for him. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: What I find impressive is that anyone thinks this is reasonable.

You agree with the court's decision as fair and reasonable. You don't like the amount. Why?

You don't have to pay it, this corporation does and they ought to know better. They deserve to pay through the nose. The voice mails were not only vulgar, but racist and harassing.

It's not about who pays, it is about what is 'fair and reasonable'. The decision was, the amount is ludicrous. $1.5m for a few insulting calls - seriously? I find that offensive. People see this kind of shit as a money tree and it is not. Particularly when, but for his own actions, it would not have happened.

This wasn't a few minutes of ranting. This was a campaign of abuse. I value my privacy and peace more than 1.5 million dollars.

Eight calls. Yea, that must have been hell for him. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: What I find impressive is that anyone thinks this is reasonable.

You agree with the court's decision as fair and reasonable. You don't like the amount. Why?

You don't have to pay it, this corporation does and they ought to know better. They deserve to pay through the nose. The voice mails were not only vulgar, but racist and harassing.

Some years ago some guy name "Jorge Accabado" apparently gave my wife's phone number when applying for some sort of credit. Now we get calls from credit agencies every now and then for this guy. Collection agents are asshole morons. One called up asking for the guy once - I said "I've never met the guy in my life, you have the wrong number" and he replied "Well do you know where he lives?" :cuckoo: Fucking idiots.

A friend of mine passed away a few years ago, way to young, in his late 20's. He had thousands in credit card debt - the credit card company's collectors went after his parents directly, and were calling them and harassing them and wrongly claiming that they owed the money now and would have to pay.

I wonder if the verdict would have been the same, if all the content was the same, only substituting White Trash for ******, and the victim had been White?

Somehow, I doubt it...

Some years ago some guy name "Jorge Accabado" apparently gave my wife's phone number when applying for some sort of credit. Now we get calls from credit agencies every now and then for this guy. Collection agents are asshole morons. One called up asking for the guy once - I said "I've never met the guy in my life, you have the wrong number" and he replied "Well do you know where he lives?" :cuckoo: Fucking idiots.

A friend of mine passed away a few years ago, way to young, in his late 20's. He had thousands in credit card debt - the credit card company's collectors went after his parents directly, and were calling them and harassing them and wrongly claiming that they owed the money now and would have to pay.

I was late paying on my student loans many years ago. A credit agency called my dad pretending to be a college friend who wanted to invite me to her wedding. My dad gave them my number and they harassed me at work. They are slime.

Of course the rants involved hate speech. He was called a ******. Do you approve of that?

:lol: Why would I approve of that? :cuckoo:

Three guesses, the first two don't count.

crazy_here.gif

It's not about who pays, it is about what is 'fair and reasonable'. The decision was, the amount is ludicrous. $1.5m for a few insulting calls - seriously?
Its a punitive damage, intended to hurt the company. They violated the law. They must pay. I fail to see why you think you know more than the judge or jury.

I find that offensive. People see this kind of shit as a money tree and it is not. Particularly when, but for his own actions, it would not have happened.

I was wondering how long it would take you to blame the victim.

I was

I was late paying on my student loans many years ago. A credit agency called my dad pretending to be a college friend who wanted to invite me to her wedding. My dad gave them my number and they harassed me at work. They are slime.

yeah, they've got some nerve expecting you to pay your debts.

hate mongering bastards

I agree that the company needed to be punished. It's illegal to harass people when attempting to collect a debt. Add to that the vulgar racist verbiage, and yes, the company needed substantial punitive damages to send a message to them and their industry.

The message will be 'free money if you don't pay your debts and get called names for it'.

Damn! I wish I were black and didn't pay my bills.

Interesting that you picked up on that one factoid. Maybe you ought to apply for a job as a debt collector.

Don't sound so innocent. That was the reason he got the big payoff. Being a member of a protected class has its advantages.

You are a fucking mammal that lays eggs!

I can't think of a more protected class than that!

hate mongering bastards

Its a violation of the law for debt collectors to harass you. Creditors know this when they issue you a loan.

But I'm not surprised you would hold this double standard - individuals must be held accountable - corporations must not. Individuals must follow the law - corporations must not.

The message will be 'free money if you don't pay your debts and get called names for it'.

I'm curious, why do you think that the law should only be enforced against individuals, and not against corporations? Its a clear violation of law for a creditor to harass a debtor, and certainly in this case it was particularly egregious. Do you not think this should be enforced?

Interesting that you picked up on that one factoid. Maybe you ought to apply for a job as a debt collector.

Don't sound so innocent. That was the reason he got the big payoff. Being a member of a protected class has its advantages.

If he was also queer he probably woulda got 3 million. :)

True. The more protected you are, the higher the payoff.

(And for the crazy people here, I'm not saying calling someone a '******' is right (or a 'queer', for that matter). Don't be daft. It's clearly wrong. But a $1.5 million payoff for this? That's just ridiculous.)

If he was also queer he probably woulda got 3 million. :)

True. The more protected you are, the higher the payoff.

(And for the crazy people here, I'm not saying calling someone a '******' is right (or a 'queer', for that matter). Don't be daft. It's clearly wrong. But a $1.5 million payoff for this? That's just ridiculous.)

Why is it ridiculous?

Do you know how much money the offending company makes a year? Because I don't. I'm guessing the judge or jury would have had access to this information though, when they were deciding what amount should be paid in punitive damages. Punitive damages are meant to punish - if they aren't high enough to actually hurt a company - they aren't punishing, are they?

hate mongering bastards

Its a violation of the law for debt collectors to harass you. Creditors know this when they issue you a loan.

But I'm not surprised you would hold this double standard - individuals must be held accountable - corporations must not. Individuals must follow the law - corporations must not.

keep on truckin, ace; sooner or later you might even be right, but not today.

just because someone claims harrassment or uses the word *harrass* doesn't mean they're actually being harrassed.

i'm sure that a good professional victim like yourself knows that.

You are a fucking mammal that lays eggs!

I can't think of a more protected class than that!

Damn straight! And I've got ankle spurs which produce a cocktail of venom so don't mess with me!

Forum List

Back