Virginia race too close to call

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Virginia race too close to call

McAuliffe holds slight lead over Cuccinelli as Va. polls close

The polls are now closed in Virginia, and Fox News can report that Democrat Terry McAulliffe has a slight lead over Republican Ken Cuccinelli, although it is too early to call the race.
McAuliffe is faring well among women voters and is also performing strongly in the Washington D.C. suburbs in Northern Virginia. Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis remains a distant third, although he is garnering a fair amount of votes from young people.
As polls closed, so did the hard-fought Virginia gubernatorial race between an establishment Democrat and a Republican who warned that a vote for his rival was a vote for ObamaCare.
“ObamaCare has been a big part of why this race is a horse race at this point,” Republican nominee Ken Cuccinelli said after casting his vote Tuesday morning
McAuliffe holds slight lead over Cuccinelli as Va. polls close | Fox News

Most likely will be McAulliffe, but wish it would be Cuccinelli.

I Can't Believe Terry McAuliffe Is Going to Be Governor of Virginia | Mother Jones

Terry McAuliffe and I go way back. I first started writing about him in 1997, when Mother Jones assigned me to look into a lawsuit in DC Superior Court in which McAuliffe, the Democrats' super-fundraiser, was being sued by some of his business associates. That story turned into something much bigger. I went down the rabbit hole of McAuliffe's business dealings, probing his relationship with a pension fund run by a union he raised lots of money from—a money trail that ended up making McAuliffe part of my life for over a year. During that time, he never returned one of my phone calls and I never had the opportunity to meet in person the glad-handing, boyish "Macker," who first drew headlines by wrestling an alligator for a political donation. Nonetheless, the time I spent covering McAuliffe—who became head of the Democratic Party during George W. Bush's first term—has left me dumbfounded that he (according to the polls) is poised to become the next governor of Virginia.

Allow me to explain. McAuliffe represents an unseemly slice of Washington. His primary role in politics for the past two decades or more has been raising money—most notably, for the Clintons. He cooked up the idea of essentially renting out the Lincoln bedroom during the Clinton administration as a fundraising vehicle, and he smashed all previous presidential fundraising records in the process. When McAuliffe was the Dems' top fundraiser, a campaign finance scandal besieged the Clinton White House. Coincidence? No. McAuliffe was all about pushing the envelope when it came to the political money chase.

That alone might not be enough to render him a distasteful political candidate. What's different about McAuliffe is his brazen mixing of his campaign fundraising activity and attempts to enrich himself personally. Many of McAuliffe's business deals have come about due to his place in the political cosmos, not because he possesses a wealth of business skill. That tangled history has linked him to a long list of unsavory characters.

Let's take a look at some of his business associates over the years.

Ugh.

Just goes to show you how low the Tea Party has sunk when pond slime like McAuliffe rises above the pond scum of Cuccinelli, a guy who is obsessed with beastiality, sodomy and birth certificates of sitting presidents.

The people of VA are saying give us a con man over a fucking neanderthal woman-hating homophobe.

I Can't Believe Terry McAuliffe Is Going to Be Governor of Virginia | Mother Jones

Terry McAuliffe and I go way back. I first started writing about him in 1997, when Mother Jones assigned me to look into a lawsuit in DC Superior Court in which McAuliffe, the Democrats' super-fundraiser, was being sued by some of his business associates. That story turned into something much bigger. I went down the rabbit hole of McAuliffe's business dealings, probing his relationship with a pension fund run by a union he raised lots of money from—a money trail that ended up making McAuliffe part of my life for over a year. During that time, he never returned one of my phone calls and I never had the opportunity to meet in person the glad-handing, boyish "Macker," who first drew headlines by wrestling an alligator for a political donation. Nonetheless, the time I spent covering McAuliffe—who became head of the Democratic Party during George W. Bush's first term—has left me dumbfounded that he (according to the polls) is poised to become the next governor of Virginia.

Allow me to explain. McAuliffe represents an unseemly slice of Washington. His primary role in politics for the past two decades or more has been raising money—most notably, for the Clintons. He cooked up the idea of essentially renting out the Lincoln bedroom during the Clinton administration as a fundraising vehicle, and he smashed all previous presidential fundraising records in the process. When McAuliffe was the Dems' top fundraiser, a campaign finance scandal besieged the Clinton White House. Coincidence? No. McAuliffe was all about pushing the envelope when it came to the political money chase.

That alone might not be enough to render him a distasteful political candidate. What's different about McAuliffe is his brazen mixing of his campaign fundraising activity and attempts to enrich himself personally. Many of McAuliffe's business deals have come about due to his place in the political cosmos, not because he possesses a wealth of business skill. That tangled history has linked him to a long list of unsavory characters.

Ugh.

Boop, this is a very fair post. I live in Virginia. Both candidates are terrible. I do not know one person, Democrat or Republican, who really likes either guy. McAuliffe is a complete slime ball who would run over his grandmother for a buck. Cuccinelli is a hardcore nut about most social issues, and is frankly a deeply intolerant person.

This is a terrible election. Whoever wins...it is not a referendum about anything. People are holding their nose and probably picking the guy they think will do the least amount of damage.

I heard that McAuliffe was ahead. Curiously the numbers showed Cucinelle ahead by about 50,000. Yet the announcement was a slight lead for McAuliffe.

The first districts reporting were actually suburbs of DC? McAuliffe should have had a better showing there. It should have been a blow out in those districts.

Just goes to show you how low the Tea Party has sunk when pond slime like McAuliffe rises above the pond scum of Cuccinelli, a guy who is obsessed with beastiality, sodomy and birth certificates of sitting presidents.

The people of VA are saying give us a con man over a fucking neanderthal woman-hating homophobe.

Again, I have to agree. It's like a choice between asking for AIDS or Syphillis. Neither one is very fun.

Drudge showing 61% reporting.

CUCCINELLI 48.03%
MCAULIFFE 44.66%

Ugh.

Boop, this is a very fair post. I live in Virginia. Both candidates are terrible. I do not know one person, Democrat or Republican, who really likes either guy. McAuliffe is a complete slime ball who would run over his grandmother for a buck. Cuccinelli is a hardcore nut about most social issues, and is frankly a deeply intolerant person.

This is a terrible election. Whoever wins...it is not a referendum about anything. People are holding their nose and probably picking the guy they think will do the least amount of damage.

Sadly, in this election? I don't think there is a lesser of two evils. Dudes are practically interchangeable.

One things for sure, the Dems are engaged in whatever fraud they can get away with.

And one thing that is a hoot: they engaged in a smear campaign against Cuccinelli in which they accused him of supporting ObamaCare.

Drudge showing 61% reporting.

CUCCINELLI 48.03%
MCAULIFFE 44.66%

I guess people that are employed vote bit late... we'll see.

I heard that McAuliffe was ahead. Curiously the numbers showed Cucinelle ahead by about 50,000. Yet the announcement was a slight lead for McAuliffe.

The first districts reporting were actually suburbs of DC? McAuliffe should have had a better showing there. It should have been a blow out in those districts.

The western half of Virginia is heavily Republican and votes using come in from there first. Richmond and Tidewater are both very big population centers usually tilt slightly Republican.

NOVA (Northern Virginia...or what most Virginians call "Occupied Virginia") has a huge number of Federal employees that are generally heavily Democrat. These votes usually come in last. McAuliffe probably wins by 4-5 points.

Last edited:
McAuliffe will win by at least 6 points, my opinion only and I don't live there. I just hope he wins by that much because the other guy is a Teaparty candidate.

Northern virgina that has the population is starting to come in...Watch the democrat pull ahead ;)

Down with the extremist anti-science tea party!

Matt,

FYI....Cuccinelli is a scientist...McAuliffe is not.

Cuccinelli has an engineering degree and a law degree.

He is still a nut.

Forum List

Back