Virginia Governor's Race

In Virginia, the heavily Republican rural areas report early, and the heavily Democratic urban areas report late.

Why is that? Seems like rural areas would take longer to compile because there are a whole bunch of small precincts.

Hopefully Cuccinelli wins. That'll be a big blow to the Hillary campaign who was really hoping to use VA for 2016. I think a lot of the people who wanted to vote for Sarvis realized that allowing McAulliffe to win would be too damaging to Virginia.

In Virginia, the heavily Republican rural areas report early, and the heavily Democratic urban areas report late.

Oh these guys think the Rs have it all wrapped up.

Nope. After election day theatrics over the last 15 years, it is always too early to call. Heck, one guy might be Governor for 2 years, and it would still be too early to call.

McAuliffe is starting to close the gap.

It's within 7,000 votes now. Fairfax and surrounding counties are where much of the results are coming in now, so it's getting interesting.

Off-year and off-off-year elections get much lower turnouts from mainstream America. I think that's because they're working and not involved as much in politics except for when it's the big year.

Republican voters don't know that. They vote every single time. They hardly never sit on their hands. Young people, minorities and women are still coming around to how all this works and they're slowly beginning to awaken to these off-year elections.

I think that's what maybe put McAuliffe over the top, even if it was close. I think if this were just 4 or 6 years ago, Cuccinelli would've won because mainstream America is moderate and center-left now and they're out making the world work while old white people vote for Republicans to take their Medicare away, which is crazy.

Give Cuchinellis and his TeaP support kudos; they worked hard and almost did it.

Sardis took 7% of the vote. Harcore libertarians hate the TeaPs as much as they do the Democrats.

McAuliffe won by 1%.

The northern counties, suburbs to DC, went for McAuliffe because of the TeaPs taking the blame for the govt shutdown and the debt crisis. 60% of women went for McAullife (reproductive rights).

Cuchinelli pushed Obamacare hard and almost pulled off an upset.

I think the TeaPs are going to push Boehner in January to pull the trigger on debt and budget over Obamacare.

If that happens, world economic dislocation is a real possibility. Retire your debt to credit cards as much as possible and build your capital. We could be in for a wild ride.

I think Virginia is the bellweather for how to view where things are going for the Republicans.

The right is starting to splinter, allowing the middle and left to win as the right infights.

Forum List

Back