Veteran defends Colin Kaepernick's not standing for the National Anthem.

It's a liberal screed by someone tacking veteran after his name. Of course liberals don't mean a thing they say. The freedom they talk about is an empty facade.

Sit out the anthem and say it's because obama is the national leader and not worth respect. See where that gets you. Refuse to stand until political correctness is wiped from the country. How would that go over?

There are some thing one simply is expected to do in the name of common respect and decency. One salutes this nation's Flag and one stand when our National Anthem is played. One stops and pulls to the side when an ambulance or fire truck approaches with siren or horn sounding or lights are flashing. One stops whenever meeting a funeral procession on a roadway. Some of us will give up our seats to a lady, respect our elderly, and say grace before meals. There most somewhere remain a faint spark of human decency else we are nothing but brute beasts.

And all of those must be done voluntarily. If they are done to avoid being beaten, killed, fired or fined, they are meaningless. It is the difference between paying taxes to be used to help the poor and making charitable donations to help the poor. One is simply avoiding legal trouble. The other is a noble effort to help others.

I've never seen anyone beaten or killed for doing any of these things myself. How exactly does it help anyone by not standing for the playing of the National Anthem? Please explain. The only real way to protest is with one's vote. Not standing during the playing of the National Anthem changes absolutely nothing at all except to make your team look bad and cause some to not support your team. His harm was to himself, the 49ers, and the NFL. He helped no one at all. His protest changed nothing.

It is all over the news. There are 3 or 4 threads about it here. It raised awareness.

Also, I am not sure he did it to make changes as much as because it is what he believes.

Awareness of what? I believe almost everyone is aware of it already. It will die its own death in a day or two and the minorities will continue to suffer if Hillary is elected. As for me, I will lodge my own protest by not watching any 49ers games.

There are some thing one simply is expected to do in the name of common respect and decency. One salutes this nation's Flag and one stand when our National Anthem is played. One stops and pulls to the side when an ambulance or fire truck approaches with siren or horn sounding or lights are flashing. One stops whenever meeting a funeral procession on a roadway. Some of us will give up our seats to a lady, respect our elderly, and say grace before meals. There most somewhere remain a faint spark of human decency else we are nothing but brute beasts.

And all of those must be done voluntarily. If they are done to avoid being beaten, killed, fired or fined, they are meaningless. It is the difference between paying taxes to be used to help the poor and making charitable donations to help the poor. One is simply avoiding legal trouble. The other is a noble effort to help others.

I've never seen anyone beaten or killed for doing any of these things myself. How exactly does it help anyone by not standing for the playing of the National Anthem? Please explain. The only real way to protest is with one's vote. Not standing during the playing of the National Anthem changes absolutely nothing at all except to make your team look bad and cause some to not support your team. His harm was to himself, the 49ers, and the NFL. He helped no one at all. His protest changed nothing.

It is all over the news. There are 3 or 4 threads about it here. It raised awareness.

Also, I am not sure he did it to make changes as much as because it is what he believes.

Awareness of what? I believe almost everyone is aware of it already. It will die its own death in a day or two and the minorities will continue to suffer if Hillary is elected. As for me, I will lodge my own protest by not watching any 49ers games.

By the same token, who was harmed by him refusing to stand? From all the ranting, raving, threats and calls for him to lose his job, you would think someone was hurt. Who would that be?

And, by all means, boycott the 49ers.

By the same token, who was harmed by him refusing to stand? From all the ranting, raving, threats and calls for him to lose his job, you would think someone was hurt. Who would that be?

As I've already stated were you to read my response to you, he hurt himself, the 49ers, and the NFL. Thank you though for granting me your permission to boycott the 49ers. I appreciate that.

That is all very true that no one was physically hurt by his not standing, but if he isn't going to show any respect, he shouldn't expect any in return then.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

As I've already stated were you to read my response to you, he hurt himself, the 49ers, and the NFL. Thank you though for granting me your permission to boycott the 49ers. I appreciate that.

The overreaction my have hurt the 49ers and the NFL. But he didn't.

Do you not find it odd that, in the midst of a crazy presidential election, in a time of world unrest, that the media is focusing on a professional athlete not standing for the national anthem?

I didn't grant you permission for anything. The snotty response was unnecessary. I simply encouraged you to protest as you see fit.

The overreaction my have hurt the 49ers and the NFL. But he didn't.

Do you not find it odd that, in the midst of a crazy presidential election, in a time of world unrest, that the media is focusing on a professional athlete not standing for the national anthem?

No. Actually Good Morning America and most of the Liberal media continues to offer up cooking shows, Hollywood celebrities, etc., just as they have been doing every morning with very little real news at all.

I didn't grant you permission for anything. The snotty response was unnecessary. I simply encouraged you to protest as you see fit.

Then read my responses instead of posing the same thing over and again.

Yes, he can thank God he was born here and not in many other places.

But many of those "other places" would force him to stand. That is not him respecting anything. That is him faking it to avoid prosecution. We do not force people to show patriotism. That cheapens us and true patriotism. People didn't dare refuse to salute Hitler, Stalin, Mussilini, or Kim Jong-un. Those dictators forced people to salute and pretend to be patriots, whether they felt it or not.

I did not wear a uniform, swear and oath, and (potentially) offer my life for a nation that forces its people to fake patriotism. I did it to defend the freedoms to show respect only when it is real.
So far I haven't heard anyone make the claim he had no right to refuse to stand, why make that argument?

If he lived anywhere else he, like most folks, regardless of race, wouldn't be doing as well as he is. That's the point, not that he had no right.

He can choose to not realize it and buy into the victimhood mentality and narrative but people are free to point out that he's a moron too.

America must be worthy of respect. Torture, rendition, indefinite detention, unarmed black men shot down in the street every day, poverty, inequality, voter suppression, racism, bigotry in every form, obstructionism, blind patriotism, NONE of those things are worthy of respect from anybody -- least of all an American.
MLK felt the same way about the Star Spangled Banner as Colin does:

KING: Why I'll never stand again for 'The Star-Spangled Banner'

"Now that I have learned the truth about our national anthem and its author, I'll never stand up for it again.

"First off, the song, which was originally written as a poem, didn't become our national anthem until 1931 — which was 117 years after Key wrote it.

"Most of us have no true idea what in the hell we've been hearing or singing all these years, but as it turns out, Key's full poem actually has a third stanza which few of us have ever heard. In it, he openly celebrates the murder of slaves.

"Yes, really."

Get lost, I think I hear them calling you back to your cricket game.
Do you know the third verse of that racist, blood-soaked screed?

Star-Spangled Bigotry: The Hidden Racist History of the National Anthem

"And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave."
1210-kaepernick-trump-tmz-getty-4.jpg

Colin for Commander-in-Chief

Times change, idealogies change, definition of right and wrong change, but normal people realize that for better or worse we live in the present.

That stanza which you use to justify the behavior of this whiny jackass was absolutely correct at the time it was written.
Not so much today, with the overwhelming and disgusting frequency and abundance of political correctness.

Those, like you, who blame past wrongs for today's ills would condemn George Washington and Abraham Lincoln as stupid jerk because they would not know how to use a computer.

Not standing for the National Anthem will accomplish nothing for the minority community. The only way to help the minority community is to elect people who will actually do something like curtailing the inflow of both illegal immigrants and refugees and who will actually put policies in place that will create jobs. You change thing via your vote. As long as you continue to vote for folks who embrace open borders and brining in masses of refugees, over-regulation of business and industry, increasing taxes on corporations, and other job killing measures., you will never effect any significant change in the lives of minorities.

The NFL is fast becoming something of a thug supported sport. Recently, they have seemed to defend some while over persecuting others. I have heard some say they will not watch any games anymore while some say they will simply boycott the 49ers games. If the NFL doesn't get its act together, some of the games may have trouble filling up the stadium.

Exactly. Witness the comedy of "inflate gate" or some such nonsense.

In this day and age there should be no need for an inflatable ball. A ball could be produced that weighs, looks, feels like the ideal ball looks, feels and weighs today, out of synthetic materials.

But, apparently, there must be a dead pig somewhere to provide the skin, according to some.

The NFL is fast becoming something of a thug supported sport. Recently, they have seemed to defend some while over persecuting others. I have heard some say they will not watch any games anymore while some say they will simply boycott the 49ers games. If the NFL doesn't get its act together, some of the games may have trouble filling up the stadium.

Well, consider their pool of talent. Much of the prospects are either gang members, ex-gang members, or close to gang members.
Much of the time, the reality is the game on the field is controlled thugs going at each other.

Bang on!

The two teams in the movie "The Longest Yard" - either the original with Burt Reynolds, or the politically correct lame version with Adam Sandler - reflect the NFL of today.

Forum List

Back