Valentine's Day

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
It's almost February, and we know what that means. That's right, it's Valentine's Day, probably the most totally commercialized holiday still celebrated in the United States. I, personally, hate Valentine's Day. I don't object to its celebration, but I think the world would be better off without it.

First off, does anybody know how it all started? Emporer Claudius II was having trouble getting his soldiers to go off on lengthy campaings far from home for years at a time. He (probably correctly) assumed that this was because they didn't want to be away from their families for that long. His solution? Cancel all weddings and engagements until further notice. I am not making this up, he was that f-ing stupid (f-ing inbred monarchs *grumble* *grumble*). Well, a Christian minister named Valentine kept performing secret weddings, but was caught and executed. He was eventually sainted for protecting the holy institution of marriage to the death.

So, what's wrong with a holiday named after him? Nothing, except the holiday actually has little to do with him. First off, few people have ever heard of St. Valentine and most people call it "Valentines Day" since the only Valentine they know is that crappy piece of paper Wal-Mart charges an arm and a leg for. The holiday actually originated the same way Christmas, Easter, and Halloween came about, though Christmas and Easter have maintained the religious symbolism. In Rome, there was a day dedicated to Juno, queen of the Gods and Goddess of Marriage, among other things. Girls and boys were kept almost entirely seperate, but for one exception. On February 15 (remember, 10 of the twelve months predate Rome), there was a celebration of fertility where bloody strips of hide from sacrificed animals were used to hit both women and crops. Additionaly, according to, well, the only information available (History Channel calls it 'legend'), all the girls' names in a neighborhood/village were put in a jar and the bachelors would draw out a name. He would then be 'paired' with that woman until the next year. Basically, guys only got to court one woman a year, at random, until they married one. Well, this was deemed un-Christian and ended with the nationalisation of the Roman Catholic Church. However, to dilute the culture, they 'Christianized' it, and decided St. Valentine, patron saint of love and marriage, would be a good name to attach to it. The also bumped it back a day.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about some Valentine's Day annoyances.

1) Couples that cause diabetes - Ever hear some young couple walking down the street or sitting in a restaurant do the "'You're cuter.' 'No, you're cuter,'" routine? These walking cavities seem to increase tenfold for the entire first half of the month of February.

2) Another date on the calender that must be better than it was last year if you don't want to on the couch - After the birthday, anniversary, Christmas, possibly a couple of other 'cute' dates (first kiss, first date, engagement, etc.), and (if you have kids) Mothers' Day, do we really need one that really serves no other purpose?

3) Commercials that should be banned by the ADA - Half the commercials around this time of year feature either the couples in number one or ideas that you have to beat because of number two...or both...usually both.

4) Only holiday that doesn't feature a round of lawsuits from non-celebrators - It's probably only because they don't want to admit they don't have a girlfriend. Still, doesn't it cause a lot less stress to voluntarily NOT participate in Christmas than it does to involuntarily not participate in Valentine's Day because you're LONELY? I mean, how many people, at the start of their lonely Valentine's Day, think to themselve, "Well, there goes another year with no girlfriend," then go drink themselves silly while putting up with number one?

5) Overpriced Valentines - $2 for 4 pieces of paper the size of a playing cards just because they have Spongebob on them making some horrible pun? I think not.

Well, that's my bit of ranting. If you've got somebody to celebrate this crappy holiday with and want to do so, then more power to you, but with the way restaurants are around Valentine's Day, I'll probably celebrate it two weeks early when I finally become 'eligible' to.

Stay tuned for me being pissed off about Black History Month. I really, REALLY hate Black History Month, and it's a whole frickin' month, instead of just one day.

Hobbit said:
It's almost February, and we know what that means. That's right, it's Valentine's Day, probably the most totally commercialized holiday still celebrated in the United States. I, personally, hate Valentine's Day. I don't object to its celebration, but I think the world would be better off without it.

First off, does anybody know how it all started? Emporer Claudius II was having trouble getting his soldiers to go off on lengthy campaings far from home for years at a time. He (probably correctly) assumed that this was because they didn't want to be away from their families for that long. His solution? Cancel all weddings and engagements until further notice. I am not making this up, he was that f-ing stupid (f-ing inbred monarchs *grumble* *grumble*). Well, a Christian minister named Valentine kept performing secret weddings, but was caught and executed. He was eventually sainted for protecting the holy institution of marriage to the death.

So, what's wrong with a holiday named after him? Nothing, except the holiday actually has little to do with him. First off, few people have ever heard of St. Valentine and most people call it "Valentines Day" since the only Valentine they know is that crappy piece of paper Wal-Mart charges an arm and a leg for. The holiday actually originated the same way Christmas, Easter, and Halloween came about, though Christmas and Easter have maintained the religious symbolism. In Rome, there was a day dedicated to Juno, queen of the Gods and Goddess of Marriage, among other things. Girls and boys were kept almost entirely seperate, but for one exception. On February 15 (remember, 10 of the twelve months predate Rome), there was a celebration of fertility where bloody strips of hide from sacrificed animals were used to hit both women and crops. Additionaly, according to, well, the only information available (History Channel calls it 'legend'), all the girls' names in a neighborhood/village were put in a jar and the bachelors would draw out a name. He would then be 'paired' with that woman until the next year. Basically, guys only got to court one woman a year, at random, until they married one. Well, this was deemed un-Christian and ended with the nationalisation of the Roman Catholic Church. However, to dilute the culture, they 'Christianized' it, and decided St. Valentine, patron saint of love and marriage, would be a good name to attach to it. The also bumped it back a day.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about some Valentine's Day annoyances.
Valentine's day may very well not hold true to it's historical origins, but having a day celebrating love is not a bad thing.
Hobbit said:
1) Couples that cause diabetes - Ever hear some young couple walking down the street or sitting in a restaurant do the "'You're cuter.' 'No, you're cuter,'" routine? These walking cavities seem to increase tenfold for the entire first half of the month of February.
Ok? So what?
Hobbit said:
2) Another date on the calender that must be better than it was last year if you don't want to on the couch - After the birthday, anniversary, Christmas, possibly a couple of other 'cute' dates (first kiss, first date, engagement, etc.), and (if you have kids) Mothers' Day, do we really need one that really serves no other purpose?
We don't really need any of that, but having a day to celebrate the love between two people (and not necessarily a romantic love) is a good thing. Perhaps your beef is with how people celebrate it, instead. Too many turn it into a materialistic dick-measuring contest, and that misses the point of the day; but almost every holiday's point is missed by today's public.
Hobbit said:
3) Commercials that should be banned by the ADA - Half the commercials around this time of year feature either the couples in number one or ideas that you have to beat because of number two...or both...usually both.
Dude. Commercials. Just commercials... ;)
Hobbit said:
4) Only holiday that doesn't feature a round of lawsuits from non-celebrators - It's probably only because they don't want to admit they don't have a girlfriend. Still, doesn't it cause a lot less stress to voluntarily NOT participate in Christmas than it does to involuntarily not participate in Valentine's Day because you're LONELY? I mean, how many people, at the start of their lonely Valentine's Day, think to themselve, "Well, there goes another year with no girlfriend," then go drink themselves silly while putting up with number one?
Ah yes, cancel a holiday that some people allow to make them miserable. Rediculous. Valentine's day isn't about only couples. Moms, sisters, friends that are girls, send them a valentine if you don't have a signif. other.
Hobbit said:
5) Overpriced Valentines - $2 for 4 pieces of paper the size of a playing cards just because they have Spongebob on them making some horrible pun? I think not.
You could just make your own on the computer and print it out for like, 10 cents total...
Hobbit said:
Well, that's my bit of ranting. If you've got somebody to celebrate this crappy holiday with and want to do so, then more power to you, but with the way restaurants are around Valentine's Day, I'll probably celebrate it two weeks early when I finally become 'eligible' to.

Stay tuned for me being pissed off about Black History Month. I really, REALLY hate Black History Month, and it's a whole frickin' month, instead of just one day.
Oh Hobbit, you're so bitter! By your mom a flower and give her a hug, and stop letting other people's lovey-dovey good moods ruin you day. :kiss2:

Hmmm. I can't say I've ever seen anyone place to much effort and energy into their dislike of Valetines Day. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan either, but it's just another day. Chill.

Who wants to be whipped with a bloody strip of animal hide? Form a que please.

"Now I know he really loves me."

I'm sure it's much more enjoyable if you are one of those couples doing the 'you're cuter' routine, but I find it, well, annoying. Maybe it's just the way it's celebrated now, like Clay said, but it goes hand in hand with such ideas as radio stations and stores playing ONLY Christmas music for all of December, or kids vandalizing houses that don't put "good" candy in their 2 bit, plastic buckets. Whatever it is, it's another day most people go out and do wierd things for resons they don't really understand.

I've tried that whole Valentine thing with friends of mine, and after about junior high, the guys think you're wierd and the girls think you're hitting on them, and I DO say Happy Valentine's Day to anyone I think will appreciate it, but most people I know are either spending the day with their boy/girlfriends or spouses. The rest of us pretty much lock ourselves in somebody's room and play Smash Brothers until it's safe to go outside without finding people practically having sex in public (college campus, it's pretty bad).

As for the lawsuit thing, I'm actually quite glad that there haven't been any Valentine's Day lawsuits, since it's pretty unique in that sense. I'm just trying to figure out why the litigation crowd spends so much time toying with race, gender, and religion, but hasn't tapped the resource of the single and depressed.

Shattered said:
Shoot me.. I happen to like Valentines Day.. :D

I'm with you. I like Valentine's Day.

And radio stations that play Christmas music for the entire month of December.

I would like to see a White History month though.

GotZoom said:

are we getting a white history museum on the national mall just like the black folk?

GotZoom said:

Work in retail for all of December. I used to like Christmas music, too, but now, I want God to ressurrect whoever wrote "The Twelve Days of Christmas" so I can kill him. Then, I get in the car and start to drive home, when I hear a blurb saying "nothing but Christmas all month long" and want to just stab my radio. One of the many reasons I only listen to talk radio now.

I even still like well performed and 'non mainstream' Christmas music, like the New Orleans Christmas CD my dad's old doctor sent us (he sends those as Christmas cards), but when you hear "Frosty the Snowman" 30 times a day by about 3000 different people over the course of the month...and only 2 of them any good, you'll want to take a flamethrower the little pile of slush.

Hobbit said:
Work in retail for all of December. I used to like Christmas music, too, but now, I want God to ressurrect whoever wrote "The Twelve Days of Christmas" so I can kill him. Then, I get in the car and start to drive home, when I hear a blurb saying "nothing but Christmas all month long" and want to just stab my radio. One of the many reasons I only listen to talk radio now.

I even still like well performed and 'non mainstream' Christmas music, like the New Orleans Christmas CD my dad's old doctor sent us (he sends those as Christmas cards), but when you hear "Frosty the Snowman" 30 times a day by about 3000 different people over the course of the month...and only 2 of them any good, you'll want to take a flamethrower the little pile of slush.

dude you are too young to be this cynical....lighten up....you are starting to worry me

manu1959 said:
dude you are too young to be this cynical....lighten up....you are starting to worry me

Ok, I'll lay off the cynicism for a while, but a few things that have happened to me in the past few years have made me cynical before my time. I guess it helps me cope or something. Maybe when I stop spinning my wheels trying to save up money and go back to college, I'll get better, but only time will tell. It may also be due to the fact that it's getting harder and harder for me, as a young conservative, to actually talk to people about much of anything without getting a lengthy lecture on how wrong I am. Whatever the reason for it, I tend to get grouchy at times, and while I enjoy most holidays, this particular one has irritated me since I started seeing public make-out sessions (get a room, honestly) and the constant droning of "I love you more."

Hobbit said:
Ok, I'll lay off the cynicism for a while, but a few things that have happened to me in the past few years have made me cynical before my time. I guess it helps me cope or something. Maybe when I stop spinning my wheels trying to save up money and go back to college, I'll get better, but only time will tell. It may also be due to the fact that it's getting harder and harder for me, as a young conservative, to actually talk to people about much of anything without getting a lengthy lecture on how wrong I am. Whatever the reason for it, I tend to get grouchy at times, and while I enjoy most holidays, this particular one has irritated me since I started seeing public make-out sessions (get a room, honestly) and the constant droning of "I love you more."

i feel your pain....i used to feel better after walking up to one of those couples and saying hey looks like the herpes is all cleared up good for you

manu1959 said:
i feel your pain....i used to feel better after walking up to one of those couples and saying hey looks like the herpes is all cleared up good for you

LMAO! I'll have to remember that one. I might have to bring up whatever that drug is that shows a hot chick and her active lifestyle, then ruins the rush by saying, "So when I found out I had genital herpes..." What's it called, like Vitorum, or something?

I like buying the boxes of kids' valentines(disney princess or something) and giving them to co-workers with a piece of chocolate attached to them. Just to be fun. Of course, my new co-workers (yes, I did switch jobs) are a lot more fun and worth my time and money in doing this.

I loved doing that in school, and I now buy a 2nd box for my son (nemo or madagascar or something like that) and I give/mail them to relatives and friends along with candy and small pictures that he 'draws'. They think its cute and I think it gets him in the spirit of giving stuff to others. I even help him write his name. He has fun with it and likes to eat the leftover chocolate with me... :p:

fuzzykitten99 said:
I like buying the boxes of kids' valentines(disney princess or something) and giving them to co-workers with a piece of chocolate attached to them. Just to be fun. Of course, my new co-workers (yes, I did switch jobs) are a lot more fun and worth my time and money in doing this.

I loved doing that in school, and I now buy a 2nd box for my son (nemo or madagascar or something like that) and I give/mail them to relatives and friends along with candy and small pictures that he 'draws'. They think its cute and I think it gets him in the spirit of giving stuff to others. I even help him write his name. He has fun with it and likes to eat the leftover chocolate with me... :p:

That is cute, and not the kind of cute that makes you puke, either. :D

Forum List

Back