Vacuum Cleaners

Forgot to mention one other perk about spills. Instead of waiting for the carpet to air dry you can pull the hose out of the suction side and slide it into the blower side. Set it aimed at the wet spot and walk away.....be dry in 10 minutes.

I tried the Orecks, and other popular brand names but ran across a newbie in the sucking industry called the 'Monika Vacuum Cleaner Company', the Monika Model 69 not only sucked the dirt from my carpet, it swallowed my recliner and two end tables with lamps, burped and asked for more.

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a new vacuum cleaner. I am looking at a few different models.

I had 3 in the last 4 years and none of them have met my standards for cleaning my home

Does anyone here have any advice or do you own one that you would recommend?

By the way I own 3 cats and 1 dog, and there is no way I will shave them :eusa_angel:

I have had a Kenmore "Magic Blue" cannister vacuum for over ten years and had zero problems with it. The suction is great and it's lightweight. Only problem is with four pets, you probably would need to replace the bags more frequently than I do, and you can only use the Magic Blue disposable bags sold at Sears (or online)--no substitutes. But it's price is under $100, so you might actually invest in two (stored strategically) rather than one which is more expensive. It is small enough that I have mine tucked into a 2'X2' space beside a bookcase in the hall.

But do you get a free set of Ginsu knives too if you call right away?

Believe it or not Grasshopper, I still some Ginsu knives from, what the 70's? They still work like new, used one to reduce a few cardboard boxes to smaller pieces. Hang on, this just in, you may have won a Slap Chop, hurry now cuz we can't do this all day!

Little secret. $60 rigid shop vac. Throw a little water in the tank below the filter line and you'll suck up earth worms under the house.

Ya know, I was thinking about that yesterday, who says that a shop vac is only for the shop? They are cheap, lightweight and the maintenance is a breeze.

The only problem is will it suck up the carpet fibers? :confused:

Shop vacs have very short hoses, unless they've improved on that.

When you have a lot of pet hair around your house, you have to do some preventive maintenance to keep standard vacuum cleaners working right. In a standard upright, beneath the bag should be a small filter which leads to the vacuum motor- that filter has to be kept clean or the suction will drop and hair will stay on the carpet.
The rolling beater also should be routinely checked for hair around the axles, as it also aids in picking hair out of carpet fiber.
Using those two tips should extend the useful life of any upright you purchase.

Bingo. You really need to clean fur and hair from the beater blades, or you're headed for trouble no matter how much you pay for a vacuum. Even when I had only one cat, I also have long hair and even though it's never "flowing," between my cat's hair and mine, it was incredible the twisted mess that would be there every time I finished vacuuming. And it all has to be picked out by hand.

I worked for Tri Star, which sell for around 2,000 but they are awesome vacuum cleaners.
I think the best thing to put in a new house is a central vac, they work the best and they are easy to use.

My in-laws HATE their central vac. Just sayin. I would go with a Dyson Animal myself.

Central vacs are inefficient and costly to maintain. Good idea that should have stayed on paper......now.....my automatic snow removal system for driveways is another story.....

I don't know anyone who likes the central vac system. They're constantly tripping over that long hose that seems to disappear behind you. Plus the central disposal needs to be cleaned eventually, and that's a royal pain.

well in all honesty we have had just about all of them, the best of the bunch putting the ones we'eve owned already to shame the Oreck,Dyson,Hoover,Royal etc, is a cheap $150 Bissell Pet Hair Eraser, Bagless, had this one since they came on the market, and so far it's been excellent.
But that brings up another issue, Bags vs Bagless vaccums] and their pros and cons.

Last edited:
Little secret. $60 rigid shop vac. Throw a little water in the tank below the filter line and you'll suck up earth worms under the house.

Ya know, I was thinking about that yesterday, who says that a shop vac is only for the shop? They are cheap, lightweight and the maintenance is a breeze.

The only problem is will it suck up the carpet fibers? :confused:

Shop vacs have very short hoses, unless they've improved on that.

They have hard extenders so you can make it ten to twelve feet long.

I am looking to buy a new vacuum cleaner. I am looking at a few different models.

I had 3 in the last 4 years and none of them have met my standards for cleaning my home

Does anyone here have any advice or do you own one that you would recommend?

By the way I own 3 cats and 1 dog, and there is no way I will shave them :eusa_angel:

Sounds as though you need one of these:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB7WuP6yWw]YouTube - HK_Suicide[/ame]

I just got my new vacuum :happy-1:

I was about to give up when this little jewel found me

Hoover Platinum Collection - Lightweight Bagged Upright

amazon has on sale, free shipping with prime, I'm unsure of without:

$280.49
You Save:
$19.50 (7%)

(You have to put in cart to 'see lower price'.)

Whoops, just saw you already got it!

I paid that much for the vacuum all the accessories and 4 extra bags. And did not have to wait for it to be shipped. I already used it. It is sweeeeet!
And....I carried it up my stairs with one finger. It is sooo light

Last edited:
I just got my new vacuum :happy-1:

I was about to give up when this little jewel found me

Hoover Platinum Collection - Lightweight Bagged Upright

$280.49
You Save:
$19.50 (7%)

I paid that much for the vacuum all the accessories and 4 extra bags. And did not have to wait for it to be shipped. I already used it. It is sweeeeet!

Congratulations! Good shopping!

$280.49
You Save:
$19.50 (7%)

Congratulations! Good shopping!

Thanks Annie, I was going to go with a rainbow, but I also wanted to buy a dishwasher and had to shop accordingly. I am very pleased, so far. One run across the carpet, it actually picked up the pet hair and the little hand held cannister is really cool too

Forum List

Back