Zone1 Used car and truck market.

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
Are we being gouged these days in the used car and truck market place ?

It seems to me that we are or maybe I have just fallen behind the times. A 1995 Chevy pick up for $8,500 dollars ? To me that was just too high for a 1995.

What say you all ? Do you think in a lot of ways that you are being gouged when attempting to purchase a used vehicle these days ???

It seems to me that we are or maybe I have just fallen behind the times. A 1995 Chevy pick up for $8,500 dollars ? To me that was just too high for a 1995.

What say you all ? Do you think in a lot of ways that you are being gouged when attempting to purchase a used vehicle these days ???

Depends on condition, mileage, damage history, etc. One in great condition and low miles, sure that might be worth $8500. It's a good truck. They built them better in 95 than in 2022 for sure.

I have 2001 Ford F250 with the coveted 7.3 Powerstroke. That truck is worth a ton of money, even with high mileage because it's in such good shape and everything works (although the cruise can be a PITA sometimes). Even the key fob still works. I bought it used in 2015 for 6 thousand. It could easily go for 3 times that now. It actually came with a huge bed cover I took off because I couldn't see the boat when we were backing it in to go fishing. It was blocking the view out the back.

Attachments

• IMG_20201015_164857.jpg
    IMG_20201015_164857.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

It is repercussions from "cash for clunkers".

Democrats are evil traitors that need to be captured, tried, hanged.

During the Covid Spring, I was looking to trade in the Jeep on a late model used pickup truck, something no more than two model years old. The last dealer I bought new from, quoted me a price, $2000 dollars higher than what the truck listed for brand new, saying it was due to the chip shortage.
I had the Jeep painted. It runs great!

Cars now are required to have many extra features for mpg, emissions control, safety, etc., and then more features are considered necessary by buyers. Besides raising the price, the result is often a fragile car that becomes junk before the loan is paid. Used cars that still run may be more valuable than new cars with fragile parts and faulty designs.

In the good old days you could buy a 40/50/60’s car/truck for 50 bucks, get it running, beat the shit out of it on rough terrain and finish with pushing it over a cliff.

Sheesh .. if Only I’d bought a few acres and parked them instead… 😕 … oh well .. it was fun!

Dropped a fresh remanufactured motor in my ride 30K miles ago, for a tad over $7,000.

Even with the replacement of peripherals that will eventually wear out and some body work, I'll still be thousands ahead in the end.
Good for you.

Only about 22,000 miles ago I did a complete overhaul on the engine in my 1976 Chevy. It runs like new. Or more likely, it runs better than new.

It only cost me about $600 for the engine overhaul kit. That's $100 more than I paid for the truck over 20 years ago.

It purrs like a kitten. If my ears could ejaculate....

...that would be really weird.

Last edited:

I think the vehicle market in general are gouging us. New AND used. Average new car prices have risen about 30% since 2019 and then the last 3 years, because of the chip shortage, they were selling used vehicles for almost the price of a new one.

I’m just wondering how long it will be before the auto industry collapses or they get another bailout. Average new car price is $47,000 and average payment is over $700 per month. At that rate, and considering that used vehicles are almost as expensive as new vehicles, people are simply not going to be able to afford to buy them anymore unless you take out 10+ year loans, which I find to be utterly ridiculous.

These auto makers are going to price themselves out of business.

During the Covid Spring, I was looking to trade in the Jeep on a late model used pickup truck, something no more than two model years old. The last dealer I bought new from, quoted me a price, $2000 dollars higher than what the truck listed for brand new, saying it was due to the chip shortage.
Yep, I was hearing stories of dealers marking up those new broncos when they came out, a vehicle that cost only $47,000 msrp and dealers were marking them up to over $100,000. Quite insane.

Dropped a fresh remanufactured motor in my ride 30K miles ago, for a tad over $7,000.

Even with the replacement of peripherals that will eventually wear out and some body work, I'll still be thousands ahead in the end.

I just picked up a 1 owner 2002 Lincoln Navigator with low mileage for $500, owner passed away. Mint condition, just needs a wiring harness, some refurbishing, fluids flushed and tuning, small stuff, maybe $4K-$6K to get in shape. 300 horse V-8 and trailer hitch. Still a lot of parts available and models in that year range on the roads. I can buy a whole lot of gas with the savings in prices for new ones. Don't need to pay through the nose for a vehicle that won't be driven more than 4,000 miles a year. It can haul a trailer like it was nothing. Lincoln Navs in the 1998-2005 year model ranges were tanks, built pretty well for a luxury SUV. I see one or two nearly every day cruising along somewhere.

Last edited:
Depends on condition, mileage, damage history, etc. One in great condition and low miles, sure that might be worth $8500. It's a good truck. They built them better in 95 than in 2022 for sure.

I have 2001 Ford F250 with the coveted 7.3 Powerstroke. That truck is worth a ton of money, even with high mileage because it's in such good shape and everything works (although the cruise can be a PITA sometimes). Even the key fob still works. I bought it used in 2015 for 6 thousand. It could easily go for 3 times that now. It actually came with a huge bed cover I took off because I couldn't see the boat when we were backing it in to go fishing. It was blocking the view out the back.
True, true, but let me ask ya this then - Didn't that powerstroke have some kind of huge issue with the heads, and so the owners were having to go into the motors to "bullet proof" them was the term being used ? I saw a lot of those truck's recently at the equipment auction. They were good looking truck's, but the diesel engines were the issue with them is what I was hearing.

The interior in the 95 chevy's were a major problem because of sun damage to the plastic dashboards and malfunctioning door handles that broke easily due to being plastic etc. The AC evaporator is under the dash buried, and the entire dash has to come out to replace it. That's when plastic gets broken, and pieces start flying.. lol...... The Vortec motors are bullet proof, otherwise they run forever it seems. Mine has a V-6 Vortec in it. Thanks for your input. 👍

The truck my family member purchased is absolutely in excellent condition inside and out, so even with the high mileage she hopefully did ok with the purchase of the 1995. Bluebook value was something like $5,000 in excellent condition if I remember right.

Was not the market flooded with vehicles prior to any adverse event's that would have caused extreme shortages of vehicle's new or used to occur when the event's took place, and hasn't the market recovered by now ??? If there were shortages prior, then is it that the perception being fresh in our minds is still causing us to just except thing's that might be not be as they seem, and therfore it is making it ripe for us to be gouged ?

It is repercussions from "cash for clunkers".

Democrats are evil traitors that need to be captured, tried, hanged.
Cash for clunkers shorted the used market inventory maybe, and when Covid struck the market well ran almost dry ??

And,

Bullshit.

The anti-Americans have stated their goals.

The goal of cash for clunkers was to pay people to destroy perfectly serviceable vehicles.

The preliminary goal is to de-industrialize the USA.

Fuck you, bitches. You will die trying.
Same as the gun's maybe ?

Chip shortage was the main factor pushing prices up.

Possibly EV's are keeping the second hand ICE market high because of those avoiding EV's, but I'm only basing this feeling on knowing 3 people who bought on that reason. I know that 3 out of many million is not high odds.

I know that the prices of vans in the UK are so high, it's cheaper to spend £10k on a new engine than to sell the van and try to buy a replacement. The gearbox on mine was beginning to make a noise, so I looked about trading it. It was cheaper to replace the gearbox and get some other bits sorted.

Last time I insured the van, the insurance company valued the van at more than I paid for it. I bought it 4 years ago, it's a 64 plate (1st Sept 2014 to end of Feb 2015).

Forum List

Back