US senator says drones death toll is 4700

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
how funny we are just hearing this and Obama has been in office four years? So now the death tolls are a secret?

SNIP:
12:53AM GMT 21 Feb 2013
It was the first time a politician or any government representative had referred to a total number of fatalities in the drone strikes, which have been condemned by rights groups as extrajudicial assassinations.

The toll from hundreds of drone-launched missile strikes against suspected Al-Qaeda militants in Pakistan, Yemen and elsewhere has remained a mystery, as US officials refuse to publicly discuss any details of the covert campaign.

But Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, a staunch supporter of the drone raids, openly cited a number that exceeds some independent estimates of the death toll.

"We've killed 4,700," Mr Graham was quoted as saying by the Easley Patch, a local website covering the small town of Easley in South Carolina.

"Sometimes you hit innocent people, and I hate that, but we're at war, and we've taken out some very senior members of Al-Qaeda," Mr Graham told the Easley Rotary Club.

Mr Graham's office did not dispute his reported remarks but suggested that he had not divulged any official, classified government figure.

A spokesman told AFP that the senator "quoted the figure that has been publicly reported and disseminated on cable news."

His remark was unprecedented, as US officials have sometimes hinted at estimates of civilian casualties but never referred to a total body count.

"Now this is the first time a US official has put a total number on it," said Micah Zenko, a fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations.

If there was an official death toll estimate, it would be classified as secret, he added, raising the prospect that Mr Graham could have broken secrecy laws.

all of it here
US senator says drones death toll is 4700 - Telegraph

We know they are al quaeda operatives because obama says so and obama wouldn't lie, would he?

I don't have a problem with it aside form the hypocrisy, as in every Bush drone event drew critique as to possible collateral damage, now? ho hum.

anyway, as to drone strike kills, dead men tell no tales...see my point?

Forum List

Back