wow,

SNIP:

Living the good life

Reported by: Chris Papst

Email: [email protected]

Contributor: Nate Wardle

Published: 2/04 9:34 pm
Updated: 2/05 10:41 pm
We’ve all heard the line that America is becoming an entitlement society or welfare state, with half of U.S. households now receiving some type of government benefit. But a CBS 21 News investigation has taken that stat one step further to show you how much people are actually getting for free.

A few years ago, reporter Chris Papst worked with a single mom who had two children. She turned down a raise because she said the extra money would decrease her government benefits. It was hard to understand why she did that, until Chris started working on this story.

“You do what you have to do as a single mom,” explained Kristina Cogan. “And that’s what I did.”

For Kristina Cogan, a single mom of two, life has been a challenge. Ever since her divorce, she has struggled to simply give her kids what they need.

So five years ago, she walked through the doors of the Department of Public Welfare and applied for welfare.

“What was it like the first time you had to walk into that office?” we asked her.

“It’s scary. You’re depending on other people,” Cogan replied.

“What if that assistance wasn’t there for you?” we continued.

“I don’t know what I would have done, I mean, it’s critical for a lot of people,” Cogan answered.

So critical that Cogan is still collecting. The Lancaster native’s in nursing school and hopes to one day free herself from the system. But she admits living a life off the government can be comfortable.

“If you’re going to get something for free, are you going to work for it?” Cogan explained. “It kind of like sucks you in. They feel like they are hopeless. They feel like they have no alternative.

It’s not hard to see why. For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.

Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.

The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.

Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.

Add it up and this family can get $81,589 in free assistance.

“This isn’t the American dream,” commented Matt Brouillette of the Commonwealth Foundation.

Matt Brouillette is with the Commonwealth Foundation, a government watchdog group which emphasizes a safety net, not a safety hammock.

“When there are taxpayer funded programs that could give you the equivalent lifestyle of a middle-class family, why would you have an incentive to go to work?” Brouillette questioned.

Government figures show, Pennsylvania’s Welfare Department now takes up a whopping 43 percent of the state’s budget. That number is growing much faster than revenue.

Brouillette admits in our hyper-politicized culture, meaningful reform is unlikely until there’s a financial crisis, which he says is coming.

all of it here
Living the good life off of government benefits - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg -York -Lancaster -Lebanon Pennsylvania area

Yep. We all play by the same rules. Nothing wrong with playing to win.

My slut step granddaughter has made so much money that her sister is getting a divorce so she can start making the big money too.

Brouillette admits in our hyper-politicized culture, meaningful reform is unlikely until there’s a financial crisis, which he says is coming.

maybe that why this government is stocking up on so much ammunition and trying to push gun bans so bad?

anyway, people better prepare

wow,

SNIP:

Living the good life

We’ve all heard the line that America is becoming an entitlement society or welfare state, with half of U.S. households now receiving some type of government benefit. But a CBS 21 News investigation has taken that stat one step further to show you how much people are actually getting for free.

A few years ago, reporter Chris Papst worked with a single mom who had two children. She turned down a raise because she said the extra money would decrease her government benefits. It was hard to understand why she did that, until Chris started working on this story.

“You do what you have to do as a single mom,” explained Kristina Cogan. “And that’s what I did.”

For Kristina Cogan, a single mom of two, life has been a challenge. Ever since her divorce, she has struggled to simply give her kids what they need.

So five years ago, she walked through the doors of the Department of Public Welfare and applied for welfare.

“What was it like the first time you had to walk into that office?” we asked her.

“I don’t know what I would have done, I mean, it’s critical for a lot of people,” Cogan answered.

So critical that Cogan is still collecting. The Lancaster native’s in nursing school and hopes to one day free herself from the system. But she admits living a life off the government can be comfortable.

“If you’re going to get something for free, are you going to work for it?” Cogan explained. “It kind of like sucks you in. They feel like they are hopeless. They feel like they have no alternative.

It’s not hard to see why. For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.

Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.

The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.

Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.

“This isn’t the American dream,” commented Matt Brouillette of the Commonwealth Foundation.

Matt Brouillette is with the Commonwealth Foundation, a government watchdog group which emphasizes a safety net, not a safety hammock.

“When there are taxpayer funded programs that could give you the equivalent lifestyle of a middle-class family, why would you have an incentive to go to work?” Brouillette questioned.

Government figures show, Pennsylvania’s Welfare Department now takes up a whopping 43 percent of the state’s budget. That number is growing much faster than revenue.

all of it here
Living the good life off of government benefits - CBS 21 News - Breaking news, sports and weather for the Harrisburg -York -Lancaster -Lebanon Pennsylvania area
There are a lot programs available but for one reason or another you'll find you're not qualified for most of them. Things like having any retirement programs will disqualify you from most welfare programs. Being fired from a job can cut you out of unemployment. If you're going back to school, you can't get child care while you're in class. If you owe more than a $100, you can't get help with your electric bill. If you don't own your home, weatherization does work for you. There are lots of programs available but you can't qualify for most of them.

But the lies man .......

wow,

SNIP:

Living the good life

all of it here
There are a lot programs available but for one reason or another you'll find you're not qualified for most of them. Things like having any retirement programs will disqualify you from most welfare programs. Being fired from a job can cut you out of unemployment. If you're going back to school, you can't get child care while you're in class. If you owe more than a $100, you can't get help with your electric bill. If you don't own your home, weatherization does work for you. There are lots of programs available but you can't qualify for most of them.

"Living the good life on government benefits".....this idea has been around for as long as I can remember, more than 40 years at least. So, why is it considered a 'current event'? Nothing new here.

Anyway, from what I've seen, it doesn't look like a very good life to me: they live like trailer trash and most of the people I've ever met or seen who were living on benefits were white 'cracker' trailer trash types. What's so good about such a life? :eusa_hand:

"Living the good life on government benefits".....this idea has been around for as long as I can remember, more than 40 years at least. So, why is it considered a 'current event'? Nothing new here.

Anyway, from what I've seen, it doesn't look like a very good life to me: they live like trailer trash and most of the people I've ever met or seen who were living on benefits were white 'cracker' trailer trash types. What's so good about such a life? :eusa_hand:

and you call other people racists?

No, the charge that probably describe the above post is CLASSIST, more than racist.

Yes he did mention their race, but note how the insult was directed to POOR whites?

That's classism, not racism.

No, the charge that probably describe the above post is CLASSIST, more than racist.

Yes he did mention their race, but note how the insult was directed to POOR whites?

don't look now but..........

your double standards are showing

Staph, you still don't get it, do you?

Once upon a time, Americans had good union jobs and they got all these things themselves. Wives could stay home with the kids because their Husbands earned good paychecks.

And the Plutocrats decided this was just horrible, because they didn't have enough money for Dressage Horsies. So they busted up the unions, they m oved those good manufacturing jobs to third world shitholes, they got "right to work" and "At Will" employment so they could fire people easily whenever there was a recession and hire people who'd work for less.

But here was the thing... working folks and poor folks didn't just obediently starve so their Plutocratic Masters could have more Dressage Ponies.

They voted for programs so they could keep eating. They became Democrats.

And this is the tragedy of the whole thing. You did this to yourselves.

Last edited:

Once upon a time, Americans had good union jobs and they got all these things themselves. Wives could stay home with the kids because their Husbands earned good paychecks.

And the Plutocrats decided this was just horrible, because they didn't have enough money for Dressage Horsies.

But here was the thing... working folks and poor folks didn't just obediently starve so their Plutocratic Masters could have more Dressage Ponies.

oh boy, the almighty has spoken

Tell me again why I bust my ass 50+ hours a week again? I need to figure out how to get on welfare.

You bust your ass for 50+ a week so that rich guys like Mitt Romney can have Dressage Ponies.

You didn't know this?

romneyfire.jpg

Last edited:

don't look now but..........

your double standards are showing

Not at all, Lad.

Perhaps I am simply more capable of understanding the difference between classism and racism than you are.

And the Plutocrats decided this was just horrible, because they didn't have enough money for Dressage Horsies.

Yes, I have.

And that you still don't kind of comprehend it is the scary part.

Yes, I have.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, I have.

So you're admitting you really can't refute what I said, then?

So when are you going to starve to death to be too proud to take a government assistance?

But here's the thing about middle class entitlement... you think you are "entitled" to Social Security and Unemployment, but "Those people" getting food stamps and WIC, those "moochers" and "Takers".

And the Plutocrats laugh all the way to the bank.

Yes, I have.

So when are you going to starve to death to be too proud to take a government assistance?

But here's the thing about middle class entitlement... you think you are "entitled" to Social Security and Unemployment, but "Those people" getting food stamps and WIC, those "moochers" and "Takers".

what the hell are you babbling about, and what does your opinion on why thing are the way they are have to do with the article posted?
we get it you think you know all and we here need to be informed of it

Last edited:

what the hell are you babbling about, and what does your opinion on why thing are the way they are have to do with the article posted?
we get it you think you know all and we here need to be informed of it

Did you need someone to explain the big words to you?

Do you want me to read it to you slowly.

Frankly, I agree, we have too many people on the dole and not enough people pulling the wagon.

but that's the problem. The goal of business has been to reduce the labor force to the smallest number of people possible making the least amount of money.

And what you complain about is the inevitable result.

No one proudly watches his child starve for the greater glory of capitalism.

They demand food stamps, section 8 housing and government assistance, and teh government is happy to give it to them.

Forum List

Back