Unrest reported in Libya

The chat is spam now.....

Just a bunch of hackers fighting with each other.

That was scary stuff....makes Egypt look like the Girl Scouts.

Confirmed: BIRKA barracks has now fallen, they have asked benghazi if they can leave peacefully 8 minutes ago
There are reports of troops from Zimbabwe landing at airport, protesters waiting to meet them, and they have weapons taken from the barracks

Director of Military Intelligence Abdulla Sannusi has reportedly been arrested by the protesters in bengazzi

CAIRO – The son of longtime leader Moammar Gadhafi warned in a nationally televised address that continued anti-government protests that have wracked Libya for six days might lead to a civil war that could send the country's oil wells up in flames.

Appearing on Libyan state television after midnight Sunday, Seif al-Islam Gadhafi said the army still backed his father, who was leading the fight, although he added that some military bases, tanks and weapons had been seized.

"We are not Tunisia and Egypt," the younger Gadhafi said, referring to the successful uprisings that toppled longtime regimes in Libya's neighbors.

He acknowledged that the army made mistakes during protests because it was not trained to deal with demonstrators but added that the number of dead had been exaggerated, giving a death toll of 84. Human Rights Watch put the number at 174 through Saturday, and doctors in the eastern city of Benghazi said more than 200 have died since the protests began.

Gadhafi's son warns of civil war in Libya - Yahoo! News

I can't seen to find video (or audio) of that Pinkard & Bowden tune "Libyan on a Jet Plane". :bang3:

So just the lyrics will have to do. Sung to the tune of "Leavin' on a Jet Plane"

There's so many times we've crashed and burned,
Seems like the colonel would finally learn
Our Russian jets don't make good submarines.
We fly out to protect our nation
And use seat bottoms for floatation.
The water's warm, and we're good swimmers too.

So kiss me and smile for me,
Call my folks in Tripoli,
Tell them that Khadafi made me go.
I'm a Libyan on a jet plane,
I don't know if I'll be back again.
Muammar, I hate to go.

Aircraft carrier J.F.K
Come to blow our chemical plant away
But we keep telling them it's just pharmaceutical.

So miss me and pray for me
Bow down to the East for me
Kneel and gently kiss my butt good-bye
I'm a Libyan on a jet plane,
Don't know if I'll be back again.
Libyan on a jet plane,
Don't know if I'll be back again

Last edited:
The younger Ghadaffi is fighting for his birth right, he was born, raised and groomed to lead this country. He doesn't strike me as one to let go of his birth right without a fight, I am worried about Libya falling to the Islamists though.

libya_gaddafi_0222.jpg

Damn Ghaddafi looks so vulnerable in that hat with an umbrella, none of the usual swagger and bravado.

Libya tipped towards all-out civil war on Tuesday, as the chaos from a week-long revolt deepened, with reports of bodies lying in the streets of the capital Tripoli and parts of eastern Libya entirely out of the control of Muammar Gaddafi's regime. With Gaddafi's hold on power looking increasingly tenuous, human-rights groups and exile organizations say it is now impossible to calculate how many have been killed during the past week, although their estimates easily exceed 400.

With events accelerating, Gaddafi's 42 years in power appear to be unraveling at lightning speed, buckling under several pressure points: Deep divisions within the military, which has launched air, naval and ground attacks against unarmed protesters; a stampede of defections among top officials; and a collapse of the regime's credibility internationally, let alone among many of its own citizens.

As rumors intensified that Gaddafi had fled the country, the leader appeared for a few seconds on state-run Libyan television at about 1 a.m. Tuesday morning. He appeared to be in front of his compound in Tripoli's western suburbs, which still bears the damage done to it by a U.S. aerial bombardment in 1986, the scars acting as a show of defiance against those who have long wished to see the back of him. I am in Tripoli not in Venezuela," he said as he climbed into a vehicle, awkwardly holding a huge gray umbrella.
Read more: Chaos and Bloodshed Continue as Gaddafi Loses His Grip on Power - TIME

Forum List

Back