Unions do not care about people, they care about DUES!

it is none of OUR business on what the unionized workers or unions do...that is between the union and their employers.

Why should the unions decide that. It should be up to the employer. Fact is that many states that are heavy union, are in worse shape economically.

"Unions in general have more influence in Democratic-controlled states," he says. "This isn't to say that unions are bad, but where they're strong you have bigger demands for social services and coalitions with construction companies, road builders and others that push up debt."
Political Litmus Test: Bluest States Spilling The Most Red Ink - Forbes.com

The unions are worse thieves than Democrats. I'll bet there are just as many MILLIONAIRE DEMOCRAT union thugs as there are MILLIONAIRE DEMOCRAT government hacks.

Forgive me for stating the obvious but... While on the internet, everything may be black and white, left v right, private vs public etc, but in the real world it doesn't always work that way. I am reluctant member of the NJEA and have been offered numerous positions within the union leadership. I politely decline by saying "No can do I'm a Repbublican" and their response is always the same "We know. That's why people will listen to you" Its not always about wages and benefits. Its about health, safety and professional ethics. Maybe it is time for me to get involved,

NON-UNION/CONSERVATIVE/GOP WORKERS EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT:

Everyone knows that unionized workers get paid more on average than non-unionized workers. Most people also know that union members tend to get better benefits, pensions and vacations. But just how big is the union wage "premium"? How significant are the other advantages enjoyed by unionized workers? Do unions still "deliver the goods"?

The short answer to these questions is, yes – unions still have an exceptional track record when it comes to improving wages and conditions for their members.

One of the most obvious benefits of union membership is higher pay. The average non-union worker earns $14.04 per hour while the average union worker earns $18.57 per hour. This is a huge difference. It means that for every two dollars earned by non-union workers, union workers earn three.

The difference in pay is even more dramatic for part-time workers and female workers. On average, unionized part-time workers earn 72 percent more and non-union part-timers ($16.74 versus $9.76 per hour). At the same time, women workers who belong to a union earn an average of 41 percent more than non-union women ($17.65 versus only $12.48 per hour).

In addition to getting paid more, union members also tend to have better pensions and other benefits than non-union workers. In fact, in many ways the difference in access to these kind of job-related entitlements is even more dramatic than the difference between union and non-union wages.

Last edited:
Unions SUCK. All they care about is their bleeding monthly dues. All they are good for is protecting the ones that don't work.
Been on many a strike. NEVER accomplished a thing, other than bankrupting some good people.
My husband was in a union for years. Yeah, he made good money, but guess what? He makes a lot more now...NON-union - same industry.

I am passionate about it, and despise unions.

Kat,

I was wondering if during the straikes you claim to have been involved in did you ever scab ? It would not surprise me to learn that you did. You seem to have a real attitude.

Kat,

I was wondering if during the straikes you claim to have been involved in did you ever scab ? It would not surprise me to learn that you did. You seem to have a real attitude.

You would be wrong. It was my husband anyhow. (which of course affects me very much). How small of you to make assumptions.
What attitude do I have? A strong opinion on unions? After living it, you bet I have a strong opinion.

Kat,

When you are ORDERED to strike, even if you do not agree, do the unions pay ALL of your monthly bills?

i've argued that unions and their role in labor and as businesses would be improved if the government protections which they enjoy were reviewed - perhaps removed altogether.

there is a benefit to big businesses with regard to unions which those advocating their abolition have clearly not considered. trade unions organize workers with a given skill set in a pool which contractors/employers could utilize. were it not for the binding contracts and ability to obstruct commerce afforded them by government protections, this characteristic of unions would allow businesses access to skilled labor without necessitating hiring and managing employment of a huge staff when needed, and firing or laying off this staff to the detriment of the job market.

in this way, unions could afford the labor market greater flexibility, while still fostering specialties. with the US letting our grip on heavy industry slide away to the history books, i feel this revision of the union's role from 1920s activists to 2020s employers could save unions and heavy industry in the country, where both are on course toward demise as things are.

if andy stern was so hot for his dues paying members he would not have resigned with many of is umbrella org. pension plans woefully underfunded...the price of political pay and play yet union members , have zero say on the use of the dues they pay that goes to PAC's etc., oh and the seiu is under water, they owe like 18 million bucks to boot.

it went from being a well meaning, necessary step up to a political action grp. that owns one party...The road to hell and all that...

NON-UNION/CONSERVATIVE/GOP WORKERS EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT:

Everyone knows that unionized workers get paid more on average than non-unionized workers. Most people also know that union members tend to get better benefits, pensions and vacations. But just how big is the union wage "premium"? How significant are the other advantages enjoyed by unionized workers? Do unions still "deliver the goods"?

The short answer to these questions is, yes – unions still have an exceptional track record when it comes to improving wages and conditions for their members.

One of the most obvious benefits of union membership is higher pay. The average non-union worker earns $14.04 per hour while the average union worker earns $18.57 per hour. This is a huge difference. It means that for every two dollars earned by non-union workers, union workers earn three.

The difference in pay is even more dramatic for part-time workers and female workers. On average, unionized part-time workers earn 72 percent more and non-union part-timers ($16.74 versus $9.76 per hour). At the same time, women workers who belong to a union earn an average of 41 percent more than non-union women ($17.65 versus only $12.48 per hour).

In addition to getting paid more, union members also tend to have better pensions and other benefits than non-union workers. In fact, in many ways the difference in access to these kind of job-related entitlements is even more dramatic than the difference between union and non-union wages.

Unions artificially inflate wages above the actual worth of a job. Look at the automobile industry to see what unions do. Studies show a $29.00 per hour gap for UAW workers versus non union.
America's Other Auto Industry - WSJ.com
Between the cost of labor, high cost health plans their over inflated pension plans, the consumer suffers with the price of American cars.
Not to mention the fact that the govt (which is really all of us) is now being asked to bail out these poorly managed pension funds.
Is The Government Bailing Out Union Pension Funds To The Tune Of $165 Billion?

Forum List

Back