Unintended pregnancy in Nigerian women up 6 percent since sex ed introduced

It's not about what you teach, it's about what they perceive. And if you aren't capable of teaching it in a manner which emphasizes that there is ALWAYS risk with sex, you're doing them a disservice.

I agree. However, doing anything badly is harmful. Done right, sex education has a positive effect, particularly on disease. That's been shown over and over.

And with kids, it doesn't matter. They're just too young (and remember, the women in Nigeria they're targeting are very, very young) don't have the ability to indulge in reckless sexual behavior, regardless of what you teach them or provide them with.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "don't have the ability"?

Okay, the other thread was closed because there was no link, but here's something interesting that I'm moving here and has nothing to do with the other:

Here's another interesting bit...apparently unintended pregnancies have increased in Nigeria since our wonderful "sex for all, here are some crappy condoms" pioneers started teaching them pre-marital sex was common, good, and consequences avoidable:

"Between 1990 and 2003, Nigeria made large improvements in young women's educational attainment, but the country experienced only modest declines in early marriage and adolescent childbearing, while the unintended birthrate rose (from 10% to 16%), according to new analysis from the New York-based Guttmacher Institute and the Women's Health and Action Research Centre in Benin City, Nigeria."

Unintended Births on the Rise Among Young Women in Nigeria

Crap, we need to teach them more about having sex! Maybe we can get those rates to go up another 10 percent in the next 13 years. Wouldn't that be GREAT?

Funny how you'd like to see birth rates go up by limiting access to abortion in a country where the majority of citizens are white, the US. And then you go and rail against the rising birthrate in a country where the majority of citizens are black. What's up with that, Alli?

Another random meandering post. I have no idea WTF you're talking about.
Your standard evasive tactic whenever someone catches you being a racist, a fascist, an idiot. etc. :lol:

Okay, the other thread was closed because there was no link, but here's something interesting that I'm moving here and has nothing to do with the other:

Here's another interesting bit...apparently unintended pregnancies have increased in Nigeria since our wonderful "sex for all, here are some crappy condoms" pioneers started teaching them pre-marital sex was common, good, and consequences avoidable:

"Between 1990 and 2003, Nigeria made large improvements in young women's educational attainment, but the country experienced only modest declines in early marriage and adolescent childbearing, while the unintended birthrate rose (from 10% to 16%), according to new analysis from the New York-based Guttmacher Institute and the Women's Health and Action Research Centre in Benin City, Nigeria."

Unintended Births on the Rise Among Young Women in Nigeria

Crap, we need to teach them more about having sex! Maybe we can get those rates to go up another 10 percent in the next 13 years. Wouldn't that be GREAT?

Surely. And in a few years, they can match the evangelicals in the US.

Dept. of Disputation: Red Sex, Blue Sex : The New Yorker

A handful of social scientists and family-law scholars have recently begun looking closely at this split. Last year, Mark Regnerus, a sociologist at the University of Texas at Austin, published a startling book called “Forbidden Fruit: Sex and Religion in the Lives of American Teenagers,” and he is working on a follow-up that includes a section titled “Red Sex, Blue Sex.” His findings are drawn from a national survey that Regnerus and his colleagues conducted of some thirty-four hundred thirteen-to-seventeen-year-olds, and from a comprehensive government study of adolescent health known as Add Health. Regnerus argues that religion is a good indicator of attitudes toward sex, but a poor one of sexual behavior, and that this gap is especially wide among teen-agers who identify themselves as evangelical. The vast majority of white evangelical adolescents—seventy-four per cent—say that they believe in abstaining from sex before marriage. (Only half of mainline Protestants, and a quarter of Jews, say that they believe in abstinence.) Moreover, among the major religious groups, evangelical virgins are the least likely to anticipate that sex will be pleasurable, and the most likely to believe that having sex will cause their partners to lose respect for them. (Jews most often cite pleasure as a reason to have sex, and say that an unplanned pregnancy would be an embarrassment.) But, according to Add Health data, evangelical teen-agers are more sexually active than Mormons, mainline Protestants, and Jews. On average, white evangelical Protestants make their “sexual début”—to use the festive term of social-science researchers—shortly after turning sixteen. Among major religious groups, only black Protestants begin having sex earlier.

So the out of wedlock birthrate has gone up in Nigeria post implementation of sex ed. That is not an argument against sex ed. I'm not sure what factors into it in Nigeria, but I do know that the culture, social structure, morals, standards, and practices are so foreign to our own that nothing resulted from an implementation there would beget the same result here.... and it hasn't.

The idea of providing abortions to women who live in huts with dirt floors, no running water, no medical care for miles, no transportation..and sending them home gives me the horrors.

So, OT a bit... does this mean you support keeping abortion safe and legal in this country?
It certainly would seem that abortions for Nigerian women is something Baba would consider a matter of course. She doesn't have a problem with Nigerian women having abortions. It's American women to whom she would like to deny it.

Er, no, that's an outright lie. I've always stood against exporting abortion factories, and money to run them.

Which, if you'll peruse the thread, you'll see I addressed in my post where I said poor Nigerian women walking home to their huts or sticks with cloth over them and then suffering from any sort of complication.

The report, Meeting Young Women's Sexual and Reproductive Health Needs in Nigeria , by Gilda Sedgh et al., analyzed nationally representative surveys and also found that the proportion of sexually active young women who knew where to obtain family planning services dropped by nearly half between 1990 and 2003, from 32% to 18%
Of course, an increase in unintended birth rates couldn't possibly be tied to the lack of information rather than the introduction of education :cuckoo:

Nearly one-third of sexually active women aged 15–24 had an unmet need for contraception in 2003, meaning that they were able to become pregnant, did not want to have a child then or at all, and yet were not using a modern method. Government policies to promote sexual and reproductive health information and services for young Nigerians exist on paper, but have not been successfully implemented, the authors report. Most programs are carried out by nongovernmental organizations with little technical or financial assistance from the state.

The reason I wanted to start the thread is because KK responded (and I wasn't sure about the rules of just moving her statement over here with mine) that she thought it was because the education wasn't up to par and the women don't have access to or the birth control products aren't up to par. But that's not what the link says.
Yes, it is

The report, Meeting Young Women's Sexual and Reproductive Health Needs in Nigeria , by Gilda Sedgh et al., analyzed nationally representative surveys and also found that the proportion of sexually active young women who knew where to obtain family planning services dropped by nearly half between 1990 and 2003, from 32% to 18%

Nearly one-third of sexually active women aged 15–24 had an unmet need for contraception in 2003, meaning that they were able to become pregnant, did not want to have a child then or at all, and yet were not using a modern method. Government policies to promote sexual and reproductive health information and services for young Nigerians exist on paper, but have not been successfully implemented, the authors report. Most programs are carried out by nongovernmental organizations with little technical or financial assistance from the state.

[/QUOTE]
The link says they had great success with the education (and this is from the Guttmacher Inst. site) and contraceptive availability in that area.
the proportion of sexually active young women who knew where to obtain family planning services dropped by nearly half between 1990 and 2003, from 32% to 18%

Nearly one-third of sexually active women aged 15–24 had an unmet need for contraception in 2003, meaning that they were able to become pregnant, did not want to have a child then or at all, and yet were not using a modern method. Government policies to promote sexual and reproductive health information and services for young Nigerians exist on paper, but have not been successfully implemented,

That's what your link says

Do you ever not lie? You quotemined a single part of that link and have since been saying it says the opposite of what it actually says. Your link says KK was right and you are wrong.

So the out of wedlock birthrate has gone up in Nigeria post implementation of sex ed.

What the article seems to be saying is that they haven't really implemented it, even though they were supposed to, and that appears to be the real problem.

Forum List

Back