Unintended pregnancy in Nigerian women up 6 percent since sex ed introduced

Discussion in 'Education' started by AllieBaba, Aug 3, 2009.

1. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Okay, the other thread was closed because there was no link, but here's something interesting that I'm moving here and has nothing to do with the other:

Here's another interesting bit...apparently unintended pregnancies have increased in Nigeria since our wonderful "sex for all, here are some crappy condoms" pioneers started teaching them pre-marital sex was common, good, and consequences avoidable:

"Between 1990 and 2003, Nigeria made large improvements in young women's educational attainment, but the country experienced only modest declines in early marriage and adolescent childbearing, while the unintended birthrate rose (from 10% to 16%), according to new analysis from the New York-based Guttmacher Institute and the Women's Health and Action Research Centre in Benin City, Nigeria."

Unintended Births on the Rise Among Young Women in Nigeria

Crap, we need to teach them more about having sex! Maybe we can get those rates to go up another 10 percent in the next 13 years. Wouldn't that be GREAT?

2. Emma

Emma Evil Liberal Leftist™

Thanks Received:
    On the street, acting all loud and tumultuous and
    Ratings:
    +757
    Guess I'm glad I don't live in Nigeria.

3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    The reason I wanted to start the thread is because KK responded (and I wasn't sure about the rules of just moving her statement over here with mine) that she thought it was because the education wasn't up to par and the women don't have access to or the birth control products aren't up to par. But that's not what the link says. The link says they had great success with the education (and this is from the Guttmacher Inst. site) and contraceptive availability in that area. They are, of course, stunned that it just isn't working the way they expected it to, and are full of theories as to why that might be so.

I wanted to address that...it doesn't matter. The fact is, they are being told that there are ways to have safe, non-consequential sex outside of marriage and as a result they've had a huge (6 percent in 13 years is a pretty huge leap) increase in unplanned pregnancies. No measurable decrease in very young marriages..which was one of the goals. To tell the girls they can have sex without getting married, thus reducing the incidence of very young girls being married off.

Meanwhile, the schools in SC that are teaching abstinence have had a dramatic drop in unplanned pregnancies among school aged girls (I also linked that information in the other thread).....so it is pertinent to us. It doesn't matter where you are. You teach women that sex can be enjoyed without worrying about the consequences, you are setting them up for failure and increasing the very problem you are trying to solve. Sex HAS CONSEQUENCES. There is no way around it. And if you keep telling women that sex is wonderful outside of marriage, that any and all consequences can be easily dealt with, they won't get pregnant, or if they do they can abort...you are removing what little control they do have over their reproduction. Because regardless of how great an education you have, regardless of how much birth control is available, the more you (or any population) have sex the more likely you are to get knocked up, regardless of the availability of contraception and abortion. You are LYING to women when you tell them they can "safely" have extramarital sex and be sure they won't get pregnant.

And I don't even want to think about the horrors of getting an abortion in Nigeria. I know a woman who gave birth in Yemen, in a hospital, which is relatively civilized....and she and the baby nearly died and she couldn't have any more children. The idea of providing abortions to women who live in huts with dirt floors, no running water, no medical care for miles, no transportation..and sending them home gives me the horrors.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    As I said in a response to this somewhere else. Nigeria has poor quality products and the education they receive is likely to be censored heavily. Someplace like the US the effect is different, and has proven such. But again ... diseased genitalia ... show them that and most will avoid sex for a very long time. ;)

5. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Funny how you'd like to see birth rates go up by limiting access to abortion in a country where the majority of citizens are white, the US. And then you go and rail against the rising birthrate in a country where the majority of citizens are black. What's up with that, Alli?

6. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Off topic, almost completely. She is posting evidence against sex ed, which though I disagree with her stance and have posted why I don't see this as a good example, no one mentioned "race" until you.

7. Anguille

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    No one mentioned abortion in the other thread about the Dearborn school principal til baba did either. You've been a mod for how long and you're just noticing now that threads sometimes go off topic? :lol:

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    One their own because of the direction of discussion, yes, but forcing it into that specific direction just to rile feathers isn't productive at all.

9. Anguille

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    It's not to rile feathers, I want to know just how racist Baba is.

10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I don't want to get into a debate on abtienece ed, abortion, or masturbation as an alternative. But I will go on the record saying that not enough focus is put on the importance of marriage. Out of wedlock births is the number one cause of poverty in the US. And I'm pretty certain that most single women. in Nigeria cannot afford to raise children alone. I would like to see sex education include the economic reality of single motherhood and the MORAL responsibility of men to share the burden of parenting. I've known too many pregnant teens who choose motherhood and are completely clueless about what happens when that baby isn't always cute.