Unemployment drops to 8.9%

Just republican being elected to office and controlling the house encourages businesses to start to hiring because there is more certainty. You think passing laws and government spending is what creates jobs which is wrong.

"More certainty"? R's have been in control since January 6th and have done nothing but pass social legislation, vacation and now,one wing of the party is calling for the Speakers head.

Yet, once the election was over and the R's were two months from taking control of he House, business began a plan to hire? That is the only cause for the current (effect) changes in employment?

Thanks for sharing; you've made everything 'economic' simple; I'm ready to 1) join and vote Republican; 2) invest in the stock market all my savings; and 3) toss out my reference books and burn my library card. The panacea for our economic malady has been discovered, there is no need to think.

Gotta LOVE economic GOOD NEWS in the morning!

from the OP:

The economy gained 192,000 jobs in the month, roughly in line with economists' forecast of 190,000 jobs. Businesses added 222,000 jobs -- their best hiring month since last April -- while state and local governments cut 30,000 jobs.

This is excellent news unless you are a partisan who wants to see Americans suffering to provide you with political traction...

Just republican being elected to office and controlling the house encourages businesses to start to hiring because there is more certainty. You think passing laws and government spending is what creates jobs which is wrong.

Really?

If the congress passes a bill to repair infrastructure - No jobs are created?
If the congress passes a bill to buy a weapons system - No jobs are created?
If the congress passes a bill to modernize telecommunications - No jobs are created?

Seriously?

And IF they passed all that, maybe they can just wave a magic wand to PAY FOR IT.

What the hell happened to the 800 billion stimulus the DEMOCRATS and Obama passed for them, SHOVEL READY JOBS, that didn't materialize.

Last edited:

Really?

If the congress passes a bill to modernize telecommunications - No jobs are created?

Seriously?

And IF they passed all that, maybe they can just wave a magic wand to PAY FOR IT.

What the hell happened to the 800 billion stimulus the DEMOCRATS and Obama passed for them, SHOVEL READY JOBS, that didn't materialize.

What happened to the stimulus? You should ask all of those Republican governors who gladly accepted the funds out of one side of their mouth, while criticizing the stimulus out of the other side of their mouth.

February jobs report: Unemployment falls as hiring picks up - Mar. 4, 2011

The private sector is driving a recovery. That is very good!

Yes, it is very good. When the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007, I told everyone I cared about to take their money out of the stock market because it's going to crash. Now that we have some real conservatives in the House, I've been slowly putting money back in and cautiously telling others to do the same. We may actually see a real recovery if the conservatives don't cave-in and sell America short again.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I saw another con make this argument on another forum. I'll tell you what I told him. You're out of your fucking mind. There is absolutely no evidence to back up your bogus claim. But please, show me your proof. Oh, I know, it's common sense, right? That's what that other hack told me. I always hear the 'it's common sense' argument from cons when they try to pass off a theory as truth and have no proof to back it up.

Holy shit, you cons are fucking delusional. You should bottle that delusion and sell it. You'd make a bundle.

Yes, it is very good. When the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007, I told everyone I cared about to take their money out of the stock market because it's going to crash. Now that we have some real conservatives in the House, I've been slowly putting money back in and cautiously telling others to do the same. We may actually see a real recovery if the conservatives don't cave-in and sell America short again.

Which "job creating" bill has been passed in the House?

No such thing as a jobs creating bill

Government can ether impede or get out of the way of job creation.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I saw another con make this argument on another forum. I'll tell you what I told him. You're out of your fucking mind. There is absolutely no evidence to back up your bogus claim. But please, show me your proof. Oh, I know, it's common sense, right? That's what that other hack told me. I always hear the 'it's common sense' argument from cons when they try to pass off a theory as truth and have no proof to back it up.

Holy shit, you cons are fucking delusional. You should bottle that delusion and sell it. You'd make a bundle.

Guess that's why they extended the Bush Tax Cuts.

Because higher taxes help job growth, not destroys job growth like the left claims.

Really?

Seriously?

Seriously. Government jobs are just a transfer of tax dollars from one group to another.

The is is all just so much schlock….. if anyone is seriously wondering why no one trusts the gov., any gov. anymore this sure gilds the Lilly.
Oh, and by no means is this a dem. only game either, but this really took off after the reporting methodology morhped under Clinton.

lets recap, the last 4 months-

Nov 2010- 39,000 jobs created, rise in rate by .4% to 9.8%.
Dec 2010- 103,000 jobs created, drop in rate by .4% to 9.4%
Jan 2011- 36,000 jobs created, drop in rate by .4 % to 9.0%
Feb . 2011- 192,000 jobs created, drop in rate by .1% to 8.9%.

See? Does the above make sense to anyone even on an intuitive level? And course obama has taken any opportunity drops, raise etc. to make it appears as iof all is well, everything is moving ahead according to plan….just a few jump starts that’s all…

and so, all that glitters, is not gold. see article below, I read this 2 days ago.....I'll take their word over a hand picked favorite of the AP who have been wrong so many times its ridiculous.....

Layoffs At Pre-Recession Level; Job Openings Down 30%
By SCOTT STODDARD, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY Posted 03/02/2011 06:50 PM ET

Twenty months after the worst recession in decades, job creation remains anemic, weighing on economic growth and making it even harder for the long-term jobless to find work.

Don't blame layoffs. They spiked in 2009 but have returned to pre-slump levels, according to Labor Department data. But job openings remain 30% below their level when the downturn hit in December 2007. Gross hiring is down by 843,000 jobs.
While the economy has grown modestly in recent quarters, hiring remains depressed due to uncertainty about future demand, concerns about government policies and efficiency gains that have let companies do more with less.

"It's the drop in job openings, not the increase in job losses that is responsible for so much of the increase in unemployment," said James Sherk, a labor policy analyst at the Heritage Foundation.

Labor is expected to report Friday that the U.S. added a net 183,000 jobs in February, the most since last May. The jobless rate is seen ticking up 0.1 point to 9.1% as more people entered the labor force. Many of those new or returning job-seekers will likely find only disappointment.

December job openings fell by 139,000 to 3.06 million, the third straight decline, according to Labor's Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey. January's JOLTS survey is due March 11.

There were 4.7 job-seekers for each opening in December, off a peak of 6.3 in July 2009 but still far above the 1.15 ratio typical before the recession, according to the Economic Policy Institute.
"We are still very near the bottom of a very huge crater," said Heidi Shierholz, an EPI labor economist.

The U.S. has expanded for six quarters, but growth has been modest by historical standards. Strong head winds remain, from a still-moribund housing market to $100 oil and looming fiscal tightening at all levels of government.
Uncertainty about ObamaCare costs have also made firms cautious about hiring, analysts said.

More at-
Stocks, Investing, Business and Financial News from Investor's Business Daily NewsAndAnalysis/Article/ 564756/201103021850/Job- Creation-Remains-Anemic.htm

The is is all just so much schlock….. if anyone is seriously wondering why no one trusts the gov., any gov. anymore this sure gilds the Lilly.
Oh, and by no means is this a dem. only game either, but this really took off after the reporting methodology morhped under Clinton.

See? Does the above make sense to anyone even on an intuitive level? And course obama has taken any opportunity drops, raise etc. to make it appears as iof all is well, everything is moving ahead according to plan….just a few jump starts that’s all…

and so, all that glitters, is not gold. see article below, I read this 2 days ago.....I'll take their word over a hand picked favorite of the AP who have been wrong so many times its ridiculous.....

Layoffs At Pre-Recession Level; Job Openings Down 30%
By SCOTT STODDARD, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY Posted 03/02/2011 06:50 PM ET

Twenty months after the worst recession in decades, job creation remains anemic, weighing on economic growth and making it even harder for the long-term jobless to find work.

Don't blame layoffs. They spiked in 2009 but have returned to pre-slump levels, according to Labor Department data. But job openings remain 30% below their level when the downturn hit in December 2007. Gross hiring is down by 843,000 jobs.
While the economy has grown modestly in recent quarters, hiring remains depressed due to uncertainty about future demand, concerns about government policies and efficiency gains that have let companies do more with less.

"It's the drop in job openings, not the increase in job losses that is responsible for so much of the increase in unemployment," said James Sherk, a labor policy analyst at the Heritage Foundation.

Labor is expected to report Friday that the U.S. added a net 183,000 jobs in February, the most since last May. The jobless rate is seen ticking up 0.1 point to 9.1% as more people entered the labor force. Many of those new or returning job-seekers will likely find only disappointment.

December job openings fell by 139,000 to 3.06 million, the third straight decline, according to Labor's Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey. January's JOLTS survey is due March 11.

There were 4.7 job-seekers for each opening in December, off a peak of 6.3 in July 2009 but still far above the 1.15 ratio typical before the recession, according to the Economic Policy Institute.
"We are still very near the bottom of a very huge crater," said Heidi Shierholz, an EPI labor economist.

The U.S. has expanded for six quarters, but growth has been modest by historical standards. Strong head winds remain, from a still-moribund housing market to $100 oil and looming fiscal tightening at all levels of government.
Uncertainty about ObamaCare costs have also made firms cautious about hiring, analysts said.

More at-
Stocks, Investing, Business and Financial News from Investor's Business Daily NewsAndAnalysis/Article/ 564756/201103021850/Job- Creation-Remains-Anemic.htm

The economy has been consistently creating jobs for over a year now, particularly in the private sector.

I guess all the previous job growth was just the breathless anticipation of R's taking over? Or, perhaps...not.

The truth is, this is good news. If you are a political hack that can come up with a reason your party attributed to this, it is not. But I see the imagination of some of you GOP, Bagger hackers are exceeding my wildest imagination by wrestling success from the jaws of victory. The GOP has been in a majority in the House for two months and they have only been concerned about killing Health care and going on an extended vacation. Now they point to the drop in unemployment and say they did it.

HYPOCRITES!

The truth is, this is good news. If you are a political hack that can come up with a reason your party attributed to this, it is not. But I see the imagination of some of you GOP, Bagger hackers are exceeding my wildest imagination by wrestling success from the jaws of victory. The GOP has been in a majority in the House for two months and they have only been concerned about killing Health care and going on an extended vacation. Now they point to the drop in unemployment and say they did it.

HYPOCRITES!

Private sector added over 200,000 jobs..
Even my older son got his Architects job back last week

That IS good news

HYPOCRITES!

why shouldn't they say they did it?
You all still say now, two years after the Obama was elected the high Unemployment was Boooooooooshes fault.:lol:

The Republicans have had control of ONE part of congress for 2 months now, and you're attributing last month's unemployment figures to them? LOL.

That's funny. :lol:

The Recession ended in the summer of 09 yet here it is 2011 and we're just now seeing an improvement?

Well, ether the improvement that is being reported is bull shit in an attempt to make Obama look good or it has something to do with changes that have taken place since 09. And the biggest change is the balance of power has swung back to the right. Which means businesses don't feel as threatened as they used to. They have a bit more optimism.

Truth is things aren't improving. They've just changed the way we report the numbers.

SP500 is up 35% in the two years after Obama won and the Democrats controlled everything. Ergo, always elect liberal Democrats to hold all the power, all the time.

See how easy that "logic" is?

The Republicans have had control of ONE part of congress for 2 months now, and you're attributing last month's unemployment figures to them? LOL.

That's funny. :lol:

The Recession ended in the summer of 09 yet here it is 2011 and we're just now seeing an improvement?

Well, ether the improvement that is being reported is bull shit in an attempt to make Obama look good or it has something to do with changes that have taken place since 09. And the biggest change is the balance of power has swung back to the right. Which means businesses don't feel as threatened as they used to. They have a bit more optimism.

Truth is things aren't improving. They've just changed the way we report the numbers.

Unemployment is a lagging indicator... You'll notice it was the last one up as well.

SP500 is up 35% in the two years after Obama won and the Democrats controlled everything. Ergo, always elect liberal Democrats to hold all the power, all the time.

See how easy that "logic" is?

It's up because Obama dumped about $800 billion in stimulus money that wasn't needed. But the logic goes much deeper than simply saying "the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007." You need to look at why the economy was so frail before that and the fact that the Democrats had no solutions.

I'll say it again, if anyone did not see the imminent crash after the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007, you weren't paying attention. But the market is still extremely fragile. All eyes are on Washington and the oil markets now.

See? Does the above make sense to anyone even on an intuitive level?

Yes.

They are two different sampling methodologies. At inflection points, they can differ wildly. And the household survey usually leads the nonfarm payrolls. They are also subject to revisions, often a few years afterwards. For example, from 1981 through 1988, employment data was revised upwards 11 times.

This is good news. The economy is beginning to accelerate. If the economy starts cranking out 200k jobs a month regularly, unemployment will continue to fall. Of course, you'd like it to be better, but its hard to argue that this bad.

If oil spikes to $150, however, all bets are off.

Forum List

Back