Unemployment drops to 8.9%

February jobs report: Unemployment falls as hiring picks up - Mar. 4, 2011

The private sector is driving a recovery. That is very good!

Yes, it is very good. When the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007, I told everyone I cared about to take their money out of the stock market because it's going to crash. Now that we have some real conservatives in the House, I've been slowly putting money back in and cautiously telling others to do the same. We may actually see a real recovery if the conservatives don't cave-in and sell America short again.

This is not improvement.

From the BLS report:

- The labor force participation rate remained at 64.2% (it was also 64l.2% in January); a year ago it was 64.8%.
- This means 1.5M people are no longer counted in the labor force adjusted for population growth and the annual decrease in participation.
- If those 1.5M people were still counted, the unemployment rate would be 9.8%

The unemployment rate has gone down because more people have given up looking for work due to lack of jobs.

Table A-1. Employment status of the civilian population by sex and age

Methdology: (# in 1,000s)

Civilian population 238,851
Feb 2010 Paricipation Rate 64.8%
Civilian Labor force at 2/10 rate 154,775
Civilial Labor force 2/11 rate 153,246
The Missing People 1,529
2/11 Reported U-3 Unemployment 13,673
U3 Adjusted for Missing People 15,202
Adjusted U3 Unemployment Rate 9.8%

Last edited:

Yes, it is very good. When the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007, I told everyone I cared about to take their money out of the stock market because it's going to crash. Now that we have some real conservatives in the House, I've been slowly putting money back in and cautiously telling others to do the same. We may actually see a real recovery if the conservatives don't cave-in and sell America short again.

So the GOP holds majority in the house and have done nothing to create jobs and you will give them credit for the jobs improvement...yeah....

We are just crawling out of the hole that GW left for us.

Just republican being elected to office and controlling the house encourages businesses to start to hiring because there is more certainty. You think passing laws and government spending is what creates jobs which is wrong.

This is not improvement.

From the BLS report:

- The labor force participation rate remained at 64.2% (it was also 64l.2% in January); a year ago it was 64.8%.
- This means 1.5M people are no longer counted in the labor force adjusted for population growth and the annual decrease in participation.

The unemployment rate has gone down because more people have given up looking for work due to lack of jobs.

Table A-1. Employment status of the civilian population by sex and age

Methdology: (# in 1,000s)

Civilian population 238,851
Feb 2010 Paricipation Rate 64.8%
Civilian Labor force at 2/10 rate 154,775
Civilial Labor force 2/11 rate 153,246
The Missing People 1,529
2/11 Reported U-3 Unemployment 13,673
U3 Adjusted for Missing People 15,202
Adjusted U3 Unemployment Rate 9.8%

The number of "long-term" unemployed, people out of work six months or more, sank to 5.99 million, a decline of 217,000 from January.

"- This means 1.5M people are no longer counted in the labor force adjusted for population growth and the annual decrease in participation.

The unemployment rate has gone down because more people have given up looking for work due to lack of jobs."

Yes that does affect the reality. And the real shame of the existing new jobs picture is that because of gas and food hikes, the new income can't be spent in the economy as purchasing power is flat. So much for NEW job creation. Spring hiring for summer employment usually starts in March and April so we might look forward to job hikes.

Y'all are kidding, right?

You understand how they get that number, right?

Make you a bet it falls next month, and the month after, and the month after.....

Because at this point in the cycle, it has NOTHING at all to do with job growth. If zero jobs are created this month, the number is going to still fall, for at least the next 3 months......look at a calendar.

Just republican being elected to office and controlling the house encourages businesses to start to hiring because there is more certainty. You think passing laws and government spending is what creates jobs which is wrong.

You are delusional. Got turn FOX back on and let them feed you some more "news." The economic cycle is leading to jobs growth. GOP majority in the House has nothing to do with it. They will prove to be just what they are, obstructionalist.

Which "job creating" bill has been passed in the House?

So the GOP holds majority in the house and have done nothing to create jobs and you will give them credit for the jobs improvement...yeah....

Of course. Businesses are hiring because they see positive changes are coming in Washington. That's the way the world works. Even the stock market goes up on something positive that may happen in the future. Why don't you know this???

Really?

If the congress passes a bill to repair infrastructure - No jobs are created?
If the congress passes a bill to buy a weapons system - No jobs are created?
If the congress passes a bill to modernize telecommunications - No jobs are created?

Seriously?

Which "job creating" bill has been passed in the House?

Jeez. You guys really don't know how this works. Try your hand at the stock market for a few years, learn about companies, trade a few shares. You'll get it eventually.

Really?

If the congress passes a bill to modernize telecommunications - No jobs are created?

Seriously?

d0cdc180_EpicFacePalm.jpg

Of course. Businesses are hiring because they see positive changes are coming in Washington. That's the way the world works. Even the stock market goes up on something positive that may happen in the future. Why don't you know this???

Mostly ridiculous...I say mostly..because there's a "shred" of truth in it. That shred being that private enterprise might be hopeful that regulations will be cut or watered down.

For anyone really paying attention, Companies are reporting record profits and the Market has been trending very strongly positive. Employment is usually the lagging indicator and generally comes after times of strong growth.

The Republicans have had control of ONE part of congress for 2 months now, and you're attributing last month's unemployment figures to them? LOL.

That's funny. :lol:

Really?

Seriously?

I'll take this as you don't believe passing that kind of legislation creates jobs.

Now that we've got that out of the way..I've got some land in Florida I am interested in selling at a very reasonable price.

And if that's not something you like..there's a bridge in Brooklyn I am selling cheap as well.

The Republicans have had control of ONE part of congress for 2 months now, and you're attributing last month's unemployment figures to them? LOL.

OMG, not another one. Is this kiddie day on USMB? You folks cannot be helped.

celebrity-pictures-homer-simpson-facepalm-copy.jpg

Really?

Seriously?

I'll take this as you don't believe passing that kind of legislation creates jobs.

Now that we've got that out of the way..I've got some land in Florida I am interested in selling at a very reasonable price.

And if that's not something you like..there's a bridge in Brooklyn I am selling cheap as well.

You really have no idea how this country works, do you. Sad.

The stock market topped rose steadily from the point GW Bush left office, and has dropped a bit since topping off above 12k at the beginning of February.

So, how exactly does this reflect a positive change resulting from Republicans taking office?

I can't wait to hear this one.

OMG, not another one. Is this kiddie day on USMB? You folks cannot be helped.

Yes, yes, you're the one attributing any rise in the economy to some imagined reaction to a partisan changeover in the House, and I'm the fool, right?

LOL.

New Topics

Forum List

Back