U.S. Companies on Pace to Bring Home Record Number of Overseas Jobs

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
U.S. companies are bringing workforces and supply chains home at a historic pace.

American companies are on pace to reshore, or return to the U.S., nearly 350,000 jobs this year, according to a report expected Friday from the Reshoring Initiative. That would be the highest number on record since the group began tracking the data in 2010. The Reshoring Initiative lobbies for bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S.

Over the past month, dozens of companies have said they had plans to build new factories or start new manufacturing projects in the U.S. Idaho-based Micron Technology Inc. announced a $40 billion expansion of its current headquarters and investments in memory manufacturing. Ascend Elements said it would build a $1 billion lithium-ion battery materials facility in Kentucky. South Korean conglomerate SK Group said it would invest $22 billion in a new packaging facility, electric vehicle charging systems, and hydrogen production in Kentucky and Tennessee.

The U.S. government is also luring companies back. The Chips and Science Act and the Inflation Reduction Act, both passed this month, provide tax breaks and other incentives for building and investing in manufacturing centers for goods such as semiconductors, electric vehicles and pharmaceuticals.

The 350,000 reshored jobs expected this year would far exceed the roughly 265,000 jobs added in 2021 and would be more than 50 times the 6,000 jobs reshored to the U.S. in 2010. The Reshoring Initiative tallies company announcements of head-count increases for positions that were previously held in other countries, new positions in industries that had little to no U.S. presence and positions created in the U.S. from direct investment by companies based in other countries.

South Korean jobs aren't reshoring.
Learn to read. From the article:

South Korean conglomerate SK Group said it would invest $22 billion in a new packaging facility, electric vehicle charging systems, and hydrogen production in Kentucky and Tennessee.

Learn to read. From the article:

South Korean conglomerate SK Group said it would invest $22 billion in a new packaging facility, electric vehicle charging systems, and hydrogen production in Kentucky and Tennessee.
= Not reshored jobs

If companies are "re-shoring" jobs, it's not due to anything Biden's administration did. All they've done is threaten companies with more corporate taxes so they will pay their "fair share".
il_794xN.3682554079_f76j.jpg

If only Trump could have done that.

To be completely honest, I'll give him credit for one thing: slapping some sense into us about the dangers of Chairman Xi's China. I'll admit that if there's one thing I'm willing to reconsider my stance on with respect to his presidency, that might be it.

We were far too neutered for far too long in dealing with Beijing. COVID obviously made us think about the supply chain even more, but I think Trump's trade war did start that conversation.

To be completely honest, I'll give him credit for one thing: slapping some sense into us about the dangers of Chairman Xi's China. I'll admit that if there's one thing I'm willing to reconsider my stance on with respect to his presidency, that might be it.

We were far too neutered for far too long in dealing with Beijing. COVID obviously made us think about the supply chain even more, but I think Trump's trade war did start that conversation.
You do understand that it is the capitalist who runs the economy and decides whose products they will buy and distribute?

U.S. companies are bringing workforces and supply chains home at a historic pace.

American companies are on pace to reshore, or return to the U.S., nearly 350,000 jobs this year, according to a report expected Friday from the Reshoring Initiative. That would be the highest number on record since the group began tracking the data in 2010. The Reshoring Initiative lobbies for bringing manufacturing jobs back to the U.S.

Over the past month, dozens of companies have said they had plans to build new factories or start new manufacturing projects in the U.S. Idaho-based Micron Technology Inc. announced a $40 billion expansion of its current headquarters and investments in memory manufacturing. Ascend Elements said it would build a $1 billion lithium-ion battery materials facility in Kentucky. South Korean conglomerate SK Group said it would invest $22 billion in a new packaging facility, electric vehicle charging systems, and hydrogen production in Kentucky and Tennessee.

The U.S. government is also luring companies back. The Chips and Science Act and the Inflation Reduction Act, both passed this month, provide tax breaks and other incentives for building and investing in manufacturing centers for goods such as semiconductors, electric vehicles and pharmaceuticals.

The 350,000 reshored jobs expected this year would far exceed the roughly 265,000 jobs added in 2021 and would be more than 50 times the 6,000 jobs reshored to the U.S. in 2010. The Reshoring Initiative tallies company announcements of head-count increases for positions that were previously held in other countries, new positions in industries that had little to no U.S. presence and positions created in the U.S. from direct investment by companies based in other countries.

I wonder how much of this is due to the Chinese government's policies.

Forum List

Back