U.S. Army to accept non-citizens into military service, Automatic Citizenship

Wolfmoon

U B U & I'll B Me 4 USA!
Jan 15, 2009
PROUD, USA
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7891222.stm

The United States army is to accept immigrants with temporary US visas, according to the New York Times. Until now immigrants have had to have permanent residency - a "green card" - in order to qualify for the services. Those with temporary visas will be offered accelerated citizenship if they enrol. The immigrants will gain their citizenship and get on a ramp to the American dream."

Army recruiters say their job has become easier in recent months as unemployment has risen. There appeared to be some opposition from officers and veterans, who expressed concern that some foreigners might have divided loyalties or be terrorists seeking to infiltrate the US armed services.

This is nothing new I remember reading about is use during vietnam but, as Mr President indicates, some of the biggest threats to national security come from your own disillusioned or compromised nationals. Have a look at the CIA website, some of the defectors stories are very interesting.

The UK has many non UK nationals in its forces and they also gain accelerated residency. All are screened before acceptance but yes there are opportunities for infiltration with cases of the IRA placing sleepers amongst the Army's ranks well documented.

I went to school with a kid whose brother (a permanent resident with a Canadian passport) enlisted and then was killed in Viet Nam.

His mother learned that since he was NOT a citizen, his service to the nation meant nothing.

He was not even allowed to be buried in a veterans' graveyard.

She (I think her last name was Bishop) and Senator Jeanette Reibman got the law passed which gave aliens who served in our service honorably, veterans' rights.

SEnator Reibman died a fews years back at 90 years old.

I went to elementary school with two of her sons, now both lawyers (one a judge).

I don't see any problem with it as long as they are properly screened. As Mr P pointed out we are in just as much potential danger from a citizen so why not let good people that want to be US citizens join and serve.

I'm against illegal immigration as much as anyone but I get this really weird feeling from some like they think America is some kind of exclusive club and no one else is allowed in. We are supposed to welcome immigrants that come to us and follow our procedures to become citizens. If someone is saying they will willingly put their life on the line for us then um, yeah I think they deserve to be a citizen. That's a lot more than many people born here will do for the country.

I have no problem with this as long as proper procedure is followed. This is a great way for illegal immigrants to become legal immigrants and serve their country honorably.

The United States army is to accept immigrants with temporary US visas, according to the New York Times. Until now immigrants have had to have permanent residency - a "green card" - in order to qualify for the services. Those with temporary visas will be offered accelerated citizenship if they enrol. The immigrants will gain their citizenship and get on a ramp to the American dream."

Army recruiters say their job has become easier in recent months as unemployment has risen. There appeared to be some opposition from officers and veterans, who expressed concern that some foreigners might have divided loyalties or be terrorists seeking to infiltrate the US armed services.

I ve recently seen a documentary about Japanese soldiers who fought in the US army during WWII, they turned out to be one of the most loyal and combateffective companies of the US army.

There were also German soldiers who fought with the US against German troops during WWII.

My point: There will probably be unloyal elements between those foreigners but it is not like their loyalty won't be tested and checked by US army intelligence officers.

Last edited:
i want to join in us army i am in usa now but i am on my vacation b2 visa how can i join how can i join in a army or any arm force can any one help in this or send me the link

I have no problem with this as long as proper procedure is followed. This is a great way for illegal immigrants to become legal immigrants and serve their country honorably.

I guess you missed the part where they have to have at LEAST a temporary Visa?

Its a great way to exploit desperate people who aren't U.S. citizens.

Why fight our own wars when we can get a bunch of poor people from other countries to do it for us?

We don't need foreigners to join the military right now. The recruiters are having no problem filling their quotas with an 8.5 percent unemployment rate.

I think it's a pretty good idea to allow LEGAL immigrants to become US citizens with a hitch in the Military but illegals are still illegal even is the left wing administration fails to acknowlege that fact.

I think it's a pretty good idea to allow LEGAL immigrants to become US citizens with a hitch in the Military but illegals are still illegal even is the left wing administration fails to acknowlege that fact.

Illegals can not join the military legally. This does not change that.

Illegals can not join the military legally. This does not change that.

You are right Gunny. I should have logged on to the UK site but since getting a virus on the computer from a left wing site I am reluctant to access certain sites. Anyway the nit-picking UK makes a point of a permanent vs temporary green card which may or may not be fully accurate. The comparison to policies going back...gasp.. the VietNam war as if it's ancient history is interesting. If you get beyond the UK's interpretation of what is going on in the US you might be interested in the fact that Barry Hussein wants to cut the personnel in the Army and Marines with his DOD budget cuts. How do we gt a handle on bending over backwards and allowing foreign speaking recruits in the Military while we fire experienced officers and NCO's before they can retire and collect a pension?

I guess you missed the part where they have to have at LEAST a temporary Visa?

Ohh I think they would get a temp visa if they said they were going to join up.

One step closer to a mercenary army vs a citizen one.

When in Rome, do as the Romans...

... one way for a foreigner to get to be a Roman citizen was to serve in the army for it:eusa_shifty:.

Its a great way to exploit desperate people who aren't U.S. citizens.

Why fight our own wars when we can get a bunch of poor people from other countries to do it for us?
Which is precisely the plan.

The bastards realized from the rising intensity of the Vietnam protest movement that such unnecessary and exploitive misuse of our largely conscripted military resources would no longer be acceptable, which is why they suspended the draft. E.g., it is a foregone conclusion that Bush could not have obtained approval to invade Iraq if the draft were still in effect.

This new plan is not a good idea. Instead, the draft should be reinstated. America needs a People's army, not a conditionally mercenary force in service to the government rather than the People. This idea dilutes the value of citizenship and threatens the integrity of the military.

From what I've seen, those who serve in the military, even if they weren't born Americans, tend to value and cherish their rights more than many of my friends who grew up here. Granted, this is a commentary on how some of my friends were raised, and on how fickle many in this generation are. That being said, if you are going to allow immigration to the US, then doesn't it make sense to give them a chance to serve the nation they are adopting? The idea of a disposable, non-American fighting force based on a French Foreign Legion model is a separate question entirely. These immigrants would be serving on the line, among and in the midst of American citizens. Anyone who has been in a line unit in the military knows that questions of loyalty would sort themselves out quickly and conveniently.
There is certainly a question of need though. With the coming draw downs in size for the military, recruiters will be working hard to weed out candidates (which will be a welcome change for all of my recruiter friends out there).
My final point is that there must be a level of accountability if the idea becomes reality. If these individuals put their lives on the line for an adopted nation, then they must be treated with every bit of the respect that one gives to other Veterans. This respect must include their benefits, and their citizenship. The worst outcome would be to instigate a program like this, and then makes these individuals jump through hoops and deal with miles of red tape to receive their citizenship and benefits once they have been earned.

Forum List

Back