U.S. Army to accept non-citizens into military service, Automatic Citizenship

Discussion in 'Military' started by Wolfmoon, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Wolfmoon

Wolfmoon U B U & I'll B Me 4 USA!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7891222.stm

The United States army is to accept immigrants with temporary US visas, according to the New York Times. Until now immigrants have had to have permanent residency - a "green card" - in order to qualify for the services. Those with temporary visas will be offered accelerated citizenship if they enrol. The immigrants will gain their citizenship and get on a ramp to the American dream."

Army recruiters say their job has become easier in recent months as unemployment has risen. There appeared to be some opposition from officers and veterans, who expressed concern that some foreigners might have divided loyalties or be terrorists seeking to infiltrate the US armed services.

2. Mr. President

Mr. President BOARD PRESIDENT..carry on

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Some citizens have divided loyalties and are terrorists.

3. WilliamC

WilliamC Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is nothing new I remember reading about is use during vietnam but, as Mr President indicates, some of the biggest threats to national security come from your own disillusioned or compromised nationals. Have a look at the CIA website, some of the defectors stories are very interesting.

The UK has many non UK nationals in its forces and they also gain accelerated residency. All are screened before acceptance but yes there are opportunities for infiltration with cases of the IRA placing sleepers amongst the Army's ranks well documented.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,594
    I went to school with a kid whose brother (a permanent resident with a Canadian passport) enlisted and then was killed in Viet Nam.

His mother learned that since he was NOT a citizen, his service to the nation meant nothing.

He was not even allowed to be buried in a veterans' graveyard.

She (I think her last name was Bishop) and Senator Jeanette Reibman got the law passed which gave aliens who served in our service honorably, veterans' rights.

SEnator Reibman died a fews years back at 90 years old.

I went to elementary school with two of her sons, now both lawyers (one a judge).

5. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    I don't see any problem with it as long as they are properly screened. As Mr P pointed out we are in just as much potential danger from a citizen so why not let good people that want to be US citizens join and serve.

I'm against illegal immigration as much as anyone but I get this really weird feeling from some like they think America is some kind of exclusive club and no one else is allowed in. We are supposed to welcome immigrants that come to us and follow our procedures to become citizens. If someone is saying they will willingly put their life on the line for us then um, yeah I think they deserve to be a citizen. That's a lot more than many people born here will do for the country.

6. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,952
    I have no problem with this as long as proper procedure is followed. This is a great way for illegal immigrants to become legal immigrants and serve their country honorably.

7. Munin

Munin VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I ve recently seen a documentary about Japanese soldiers who fought in the US army during WWII, they turned out to be one of the most loyal and combateffective companies of the US army.

There were also German soldiers who fought with the US against German troops during WWII.

My point: There will probably be unloyal elements between those foreigners but it is not like their loyalty won't be tested and checked by US army intelligence officers.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  8. myantony79

myantony79 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want to join in us army i am in usa now but i am on my vacation b2 visa how can i join how can i join in a army or any arm force can any one help in this or send me the link

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,360
    I guess you missed the part where they have to have at LEAST a temporary Visa?

10. nitroz

nitroz INDEPENDENTly ruthless

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Whoever made this possible needs to be impeached/criminalized NOW!