TS/Hurricane Florence Takes Aim at East Coast

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
Right now it remains a Tropical Storm but the National Hurricane Center expects that it will strengthen to hurricane status at any time. The expected path brings it right at the South Carolina/North Carolina border late in the week, but this is subject to change.

I remain skeptical of these large storms. I enjoy storm-watching as a passing hobby, and I've seen more than one change direction or simply come to nothing. All kinds of storms. Does anyone remember the big snowstorm that was going to bring NYC to a standstill a few years ago? What did they get, three inches of snow, if that? Hurricane Irma was devastating to some areas of the Atlantic, but not to some of the areas of Florida the experts predicted.

So I guess it's wait-and-see for now. You can keep abreast of updates here:

National Hurricane Center

Right now it remains a Tropical Storm but the National Hurricane Center expects that it will strengthen to hurricane status at any time. The expected path brings it right at the South Carolina/North Carolina border late in the week, but this is subject to change.

I remain skeptical of these large storms. I enjoy storm-watching as a passing hobby, and I've seen more than one change direction or simply come to nothing. All kinds of storms. Does anyone remember the big snowstorm that was going to bring NYC to a standstill a few years ago? What did they get, three inches of snow, if that? Hurricane Irma was devastating to some areas of the Atlantic, but not to some of the areas of Florida the experts predicted.

Hurricane Gloria? 1985

Hurricane Gloria? 1985

I didn't remember much about that one--I looked it up. Looks like it was very strong coming in, but weakened considerably. Tons and tons of evacuations. Lots of power outages and damaged homes but maybe not the "Storm of the Century". NHC still retired the name though, so it was definitely significant enough.

Hurricane Gloria? 1985

I didn't remember much about that one--I looked it up. Looks like it was very strong coming in, but weakened considerably. Tons and tons of evacuations. Lots of power outages and damaged homes but maybe not the "Storm of the Century". NHC still retired the name though, so it was definitely significant enough.
I lived it. She was a Bitch. But doing very well on high ground.

Bump to say it's a Cat 1 hurricane and everyone is doing what they do best:

1. Some (not all) meteorologists are hyping it up and panting all over about how awful it's gonna be

2. Lots of people playing meteorologists on Twitter, which is annoying. I don't know how they stay so patient on their own timelines to be honest

1. Some (not all) meteorologists are hyping it up and panting all over about how awful it's gonna be

2. Lots of people playing meteorologists on Twitter, which is annoying. I don't know how they stay so patient on their own timelines to be honest

With any cyclone one assumes that it's a horrendous thing and that it will hit. If it misses or isn't that bad then one has dodged the proverbial bullet. Anyone who poo pos that approach has never been in one.

Greg

With any cyclone one assumes that it's a horrendous thing and that it will hit. If it misses or isn't that bad then one has dodged the proverbial bullet. Anyone who poo pos that approach has never been in one.

Greg

Increased to a Cat 2.

There is probably some truth to what you say, but you run a danger in hyperbole too. I'm not talking about the normal warnings everyone should heed, "Extremely high winds, catastrophic flooding, extended power outages" and that kind of thing. I'm talking about during Irma, when the gov. of Florida said, "You cannot survive this storm". He was talking about a part of Fl that didn't even get hit, btw. THAT kind of hyperbole just makes people turn off the next storm that comes around. It's unhelpful.

Dang. I didn't see a thread was already here about this. I started a thread on it a minute ago.

I'm right there on the coast line where it's likely gonna hit. Oughtta be a hoot.

We'll likely have a few more this year, after this one passes.

It'll likely be a Cat 4 by the time it lands on the coast. The water has been warm this year. Fuel for the fire...

So here we go. We know it's coming well before it gets here yet there will be many morons who are not prepared. And of course if there are enough of them whining on national TV that Trump is a poopyhead and didn't help them, there will be even more morons to buy it.

Forum List

Back