Trying to quit.

I wasn't mocking acupuncture, Jill.

I had an uncle who was stone deaf for years.

Western medicine could do nothing for him.

He went to an acupuncturist and regained his hearing for months at a time, and then had to go back for another treatment to keep it working.

No idea how or why it works, but apparently there's something to it....at least in his case., there was, that's for damned sure.

Psychological ... of course no medicine will work if you don't believe it will.

I wanted to quit smoking, but then I thought ... why? It keeps me calmer than most people I see, I can't stand humans as it is and without something to keep me calm I'd be in jail for murder already. We all gotta die sometime and as long as I am healthier than most people I know (the non-smokers oddly) I just see no reason.

10 days and counting.. But given the last week, I'm likely to start again within a week. :doubt:

I wanted to quit smoking, but then I thought ... why? It keeps me calmer than most people I see, I can't stand humans as it is and without something to keep me calm I'd be in jail for murder already. We all gotta die sometime and as long as I am healthier than most people I know (the non-smokers oddly) I just see no reason.

Even worse than 'calm' is ability to 'think.' Eek! That is what scares me, perhaps no coherent thoughts!

If online emoticons are your patch, that is fine.

Can't use the patches. The adhesive on them irritates the hell out of my oh-so-sensitive-skin within 3 minutes of contact.

Using Chantix, tho..which is expensive as all hell, and insurance covers not a single dime of it (figure THAT one out - insurance co's charge more for smokers, but won't cover any of the costs associated with quitting).

Can't use the patches. The adhesive on them irritates the hell out of my oh-so-sensitive-skin within 3 minutes of contact.

Using Chantix, tho..which is expensive as all hell, and insurance covers not a single dime of it (figure THAT one out - insurance co's charge more for smokers, but won't cover any of the costs associated with quitting).

Suks to have that Irish like skin...

Yeah, same with me. The doc gave me a prescription for Chantix, but not covered. He said, knowing my finances, that I might want to go with Zyban, which is not as good, but good.

Are you a guy or a girl?

Suks to have that Irish like skin...

Yeah, same with me. The doc gave me a prescription for Chantix, but not covered. He said, knowing my finances, that I might want to go with Zyban, which is not as good, but good.

Zyban did absolutely *nothing* for me whatsoever, except for some reason, made me want to sleep a lot.. and it's $27 less than Chantix if you tell them it's for quitting smoking. If you can get your doc to lie and say it's for depression, it's like $20 (which I found out AFTER I paid the $100).

Chantix is $127 a month, and I'm on the 6-month program. :eek:

Zyban did absolutely *nothing* for me whatsoever, except for some reason, made me want to sleep a lot.. and it's $27 less than Chantix if you tell them it's for quitting smoking. If you can get your doc to lie and say it's for depression, it's like $20 (which I found out AFTER I paid the $100).

Chantix is $127 a month, and I'm on the 6-month program. :eek:

Thanks, maybe I'll try the depression route, just hoping to keep my house right now. ;)

Thanks, maybe I'll try the depression route, just hoping to keep my house right now. ;)

Look at the bright side.. If you have no house, you have nowhere to keep yours cigs.. That's an easy way to quit. :D

Look at the bright side.. If you have no house, you have nowhere to keep yours cigs.. That's an easy way to quit. :D

Right now the house will go before the cigs, bad as I am, won't pay the mortgage. :razz:

Err.. The profile pic, and the avatar would indicate girl, no?

Least, I HOPE I don't look like a guy. Would be kinda hard to explain the boobs. :eusa_whistle:
Good. Because you are a woman, you purportedly are eternally ready for commitment. Commit to not smoking.

i have quit several times..then i just miss it...but i quit a few months ago and i am doing fine...you just got to make up your mind to do it...plus a lot of peeps are using the pills to do it...if you cant on your own...go get the pills ...it is a powerful addiction....you are no longer using the drug...the drug is using you...

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'"
-- Jedi Master Yoda

View attachment 6572

Yoda knew bullshit when he saw it! :lol:

Anyone really Want to Quit? I have a sure fire method!

I've quit twice. The last time for 25 years (1983 to present) and the first time for 12 years (1970 - '82)

And on quitting each of those times I never was tempted to do it again, and I wasn't and I am not now annoyed by smokers around me; at least not about the smell of smoke. As a matter of fact I did and still do actually enjoy the smell of "smokes" of any type: cigar, pipe, or cigarette; fresh smoke yes, but of course not the stale smell of smoke on clothes or in rooms or bars where it hangs on the walls and peoples clothes.

Someone could challenge if I was actually able to quit if I started again in 82. I admit I was over confident that I could partake for a few moments of pleasure, and was soon trapped again; but quitting for 12 years or for 26 years both count as quitting to most people.

My method:

1. Make the decision to quit; not to cut back, or to try to quit, or to quit for a while thinking you can smoke again at some later date after trying it out.

...wake up one day having made the decision. It might be best to plan ahead to do it, or it may be decision made at the end of a day after you've smoked your fill.

2. Don't tell anyone that you have quit; don't brag about it. To quit smoking is a private matter. Others will discourage you, console you, or say that you will gain weight, that you seem tense, or nervous, all of which become prompts to excuse smoking again.

3. Keep a pack of cigarettes in your usual carrying place; (shirt pocket, etc.) (this pre-empts the urge to buy another pack, which is part of a restarting process: buy, open package, tap out the cigarette, pack the tobacco, put to lips, light-up, smoke …..)

...over time those who know you as a smoker or see that you carry will "bum" a smoke from you. This will deplete your existing stock of smokes.

4. Don't keep track of time since you’ve quit all the time. We all make decisions every day: the very first one is to get out of bed. Once we do that we don't look back.

5. Don't be sensitive about being around "it". It's something you've been doing for some time, so sensitivity shouldn't be an issue, and it exacerbates the longing to go back to it.

6. Don't use a substitute. If you can resist don't replace smoking with a substitute, which will become another crutch. Crutches are interchangeable, and signal less than a "decision", and they remain as a reminder that you are still quitting.

Each of the two times I quit it, and up until I’d made the decision, it seemed impossible. But once the decision was made, all desire was gone to smoke again. not a month later, but immediately.

You may add others to the items above, but be careful about doing that.
I'd say good luck, but luck is not the reason we quit; it's all about making the decision to quit. The decision is the real thing.

I've given this method to lots of folks, usually those standing outside their office, out in bad weather, and afterwareds they tell me it really works and the steps above contributed to their success.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back