"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner"

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This quote always hit me as more profound than it appears intrinsically. It was empowering in some odd way, especially when he says to Pacino when he questioned the coldness of his thinking "that's the discipline".

I always interpreted this more broadly even in its simplicity. For me "heat", can be anything that impacts your life negatively.

One can stop anything cold turkey right? You find out you have a health issue you can stop drinking, smoking or any other vice on a dime. Or at least, we should be able to. So, don't get so addicted and beyond your control that you cannot just walk away if needed.

Easier said than done, but a strong willed philosophy. Ironically of course, De Niro gave in to his rage for revenge that cost him everything.

You don’t seem to understand the nature of addiction.
I certainly do. I felt the wrath of someone with such a personality,.

I also learned about the biological basis of behaviour in school. Addiction is often about the dopamine system and ones need to stimulate it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back