Trying to clarify this "Alt Right" thing

Not sure why there is so much controversy over this, but let's try to boil down the Alt Right in two ways: Its existence and its characteristics.

First, it is clearly not something that Hillary made up in her recent speech, as is claimed by some. Breitbart, perhaps THE leader of the movement (let us please not forget who is CEO of the Trump campaign), provided a fairly comprehensive look here, An Establishment Conservative's Guide To The Alt-Right, and the term was first used in context in 2008, here: The Decline and Rise of the Alternative Right.

The tiniest bit of intellectual curiosity and a quick internet search yielded those two helpful items.

Second might be a look at the characteristics of a member of the Alt Right. Obviously terms like this - especially political terms - are going to be subjective to a point, but some generalities can be made, so here we go. What are some general behaviors of someone on the Alt Right?
  1. They have eschewed the GOP in favor of Donald Trump, who is clearly not a traditional conservative
  2. They are VERY anti-"establishment" - in fact, the "Alt" in "Alt Right" could be interpreted as "alternative to the GOP establishment"
  3. They are far more likely to attack a Republican as a "RINO" if that person goes against their orthodoxy
  4. They attack RINOs and the Establishment with at LEAST as much passion as they do Democrats
  5. They are far more likely to celebrate the huge schism that has formed in the GOP
  6. They are far more likely to attack the GOP as being crony capitalists who are bought & paid for
  7. Some, not all I think, have made a 180 from formerly supporting Bush's invasion of Iraq
  8. They are far more likely to react to a Republican who won't vote for Trump by saying "good riddance, we don't need you anyway"
A 20,000-foot view. Thoughts?

If you want a REAL look at what makes the Alt-Right tick, read about Richard Spencer.

Richard B. Spencer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure why there is so much controversy over this, but let's try to boil down the Alt Right in two ways: Its existence and its characteristics.

First, it is clearly not something that Hillary made up in her recent speech, as is claimed by some. Breitbart, perhaps THE leader of the movement (let us please not forget who is CEO of the Trump campaign), provided a fairly comprehensive look here, An Establishment Conservative's Guide To The Alt-Right, and the term was first used in context in 2008, here: The Decline and Rise of the Alternative Right.

The tiniest bit of intellectual curiosity and a quick internet search yielded those two helpful items.

Second might be a look at the characteristics of a member of the Alt Right. Obviously terms like this - especially political terms - are going to be subjective to a point, but some generalities can be made, so here we go. What are some general behaviors of someone on the Alt Right?
  1. They have eschewed the GOP in favor of Donald Trump, who is clearly not a traditional conservative
  2. They are VERY anti-"establishment" - in fact, the "Alt" in "Alt Right" could be interpreted as "alternative to the GOP establishment"
  3. They are far more likely to attack a Republican as a "RINO" if that person goes against their orthodoxy
  4. They attack RINOs and the Establishment with at LEAST as much passion as they do Democrats
  5. They are far more likely to celebrate the huge schism that has formed in the GOP
  6. They are far more likely to attack the GOP as being crony capitalists who are bought & paid for
  7. Some, not all I think, have made a 180 from formerly supporting Bush's invasion of Iraq
  8. They are far more likely to react to a Republican who won't vote for Trump by saying "good riddance, we don't need you anyway"

If you want a REAL look at what makes the Alt-Right tick, read about Richard Spencer.

Could be, although I wouldn't include racism as a foundational principle of theirs. Do they attract them? Sure, but I suspect that's more a function of overall ideological proximity than pure racism.

However, it's becoming more clear to me that the reason many here are fighting that term is that it may be that the Left has successfully equated it with pure racism.

The face of the Alt-Right is now this guy: Milos Yiannapolous. He is very, very creepy. One of the few people who have actually been banned from Twitter.
Twitter Permanently Suspends Conservative Writer Milo Yiannopoulos

So I guess he's going to have to stay with Facebook, unless Zuckerberg gets a clue.

Could be, although I wouldn't include racism as a foundational principle of theirs. Do they attract them? Sure, but I suspect that's more a function of overall ideological proximity than pure racism.

However, it's becoming more clear to me that the reason many here are fighting that term is that it may be that the Left has successfully equated it with pure racism.

You'd be wrong. They're BIG supporters of white European racial identity.

Last edited:

Think Christopher Cantwell.

I think you summed it up very nicely (bullet points) I might add the Alt-right could be considered "partyless".

One thing you missed the mark on:
#3. They don't use the term RINO and really don't have an orthodoxy per-se. If putting and looking out for America and ALL Americans first is an orthodoxy then I will agree with your observation.

We should be running away from labels not embracing them.

I think you summed it up very nicely (bullet points) I might add the Alt-right could be considered "partyless".

#3. They don't use the term RINO and really don't have an orthodoxy per-se. If putting and looking out for America and ALL Americans first is an orthodoxy then I will agree with your observation.
From what I've seen, they're pretty quick to dismiss contrary opinion from other conservatives with "well, he's just a RINO".

Do you not feel that's the case?

Everything they don't like is racist.

We should be running away from labels not embracing them.
I can't argue with that, and I know we're pretty divided as it is.

The reason I brought it up was the several threads I've seen that either deny their existence or say they don't understand the term.

This group seems relatively identifiable.

From what I've seen, they're pretty quick to dismiss contrary opinion from other conservatives with "well, he's just a RINO".

Do you not feel that's the case?
I would agree with them quickly dismissing other "conservatives" yes, but by aligning them with the establishment or #nevertrumpers

Everything they don't like is racist.

^ Racist

They are called "Alt Right" because "Losers" didn't have the right cachet to it.

FWIW, they're also big on Augusto Pinochet.

The Helicopter guy?
Yeah, that dude.

ponochet.jpg

They are called "Alt Right" because "Losers" didn't have the right cachet to it.

They are called Alt Right because Hillary said so on 8/25...there, fixed it for ya

Forum List

Back