Trump pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates

That's ok, but you can't disagree with what is factually true.
And the fact is direct mail is an enormously successful and needed marketing strategy. Period.
Like I said, it isn't even up for debate.

Having been in advertising, marketing & promotions most of my life - I can assure you that different types of advertising work for different types of businesses. For some, direct mail works, others do better with yellow pages, radio, TV, Constant Contact email, social media - etc etc. Some of the most successful business I know don't need to advertise at all - word of mouth keeps them as busy as they want to be.

Direct mail doesn't sell me anything. I sit by my recycle bin and 90% of my mail goes right there without so much as a look.

Ummm ummmm...why doesn't bezos want to pay his fair share...….plus hes a modern slaver......
What is a “fair share”? It is a contract negotiated by both parties and agreed upon. Clearly both sides felt it was fair. Amazon gives the post office a huge amount of business.

Why do support a president carrying out a personal vendetta against a private citizen? Not good.

And the fact is direct mail is an enormously successful and needed marketing strategy. Period.

Having been in advertising and marketing most of my life - I can assure you that different types of advertising work for different types of businesses. For some, direct mail works, others do better with yellow pages, radio, TV, Constant Contact email, social media - etc etc. Some of the most successful business I know don't need to advertise at all - word of mouth keeps them as busy as they want to be.

Direct mail doesn't sell me anything. I sit by my recycle bin and 90% of my mail goes right there without so much as a look.

Couldn't agree more with your first sentence. A well designed marketing strategy is best, and for some direct mail is not a part of that plan.
I also throw away most direct mail.
But, nevertheless that doesn't change the fact that direct mail has a higher hit rate than any other means of advertising overall.
As you can guess, I have also been in the advertising business for many years. Specifically on the print media side :D

The USPS has outlived its usefulness. Someday you old people may realize that.

Not true at all. Someday young people may realize this.
Specifically when dealing with "official or critical" information, you need a legally protected means of communication. For both sides.
But more than that is the enormous advertising benefits of mail. No other marketing strategy even remotely comes close to the success rate of targeted mail. None. It's not even up for debate.
Email/online advertising has the largest ROI due to the exceptionally high cost of direct mail, and the low cost of online. However the hit-rate is not even close. And depending on your needs, the direct mail option leaving would crush businesses everywhere.
Couldn't disagree more. Opinions and all that jazz

Sure I can. Direct mail can just as easily be accomplished without it being an institution that is tied to our inefficient government.

The USPS needs to be abolished
USPS is the best thing since sliced bread, for small businesses and the internet consumer.....

:D

Seriously, it's the best small package shipper for everyone involved!!

The USPS has outlived its usefulness. Someday you old people may realize that.

Not true at all. Someday young people may realize this.
Specifically when dealing with "official or critical" information, you need a legally protected means of communication. For both sides.
But more than that is the enormous advertising benefits of mail. No other marketing strategy even remotely comes close to the success rate of targeted mail. None. It's not even up for debate.
Email/online advertising has the largest ROI due to the exceptionally high cost of direct mail, and the low cost of online. However the hit-rate is not even close. And depending on your needs, the direct mail option leaving would crush businesses everywhere.
Couldn't disagree more. Opinions and all that jazz

Sure I can. Direct mail can just as easily be accomplished without it being an institution that is tied to our inefficient government.

The USPS needs to be abolished
USPS is the best thing since sliced bread, for small businesses and the internet consumer.....

Sure, people in little blue shorts walking around shoving advertisements into boxes is a Godsend!!

It is way wrong for the president to use his powers to attempt to go after private entities based on personal vendettas like this. Whether he actually can or not is irrelevant. His recommendations carry weight and just attempting it is disturbing.

Trump still hasn't learned that he cannot impose his will on private entities, the DOJ the Judiciary and the universe in general.
He understands nothing about history or the presidency because he has the intellectual curiosity of a mealworm and doesn't read.
He'd be well-advised to study the Nixon presidency. His is going the same precise route.

It is way wrong for the president to use his powers to attempt to go after private entities based on personal vendettas like this. Whether he actually can or not is irrelevant. His recommendations carry weight and just attempting it is disturbing.

Trump still hasn't learned that he cannot impose his will on private entities, the DOJ the Judiciary and the universe in general.
He understands nothing about history or the presidency because he has the intellectual curiosity of a mealworm and doesn't read.
He'd be well-advised to study the Nixon presidency. His is going the same precise route.

How so?

[USPS is the best thing since sliced bread, for small businesses and the internet consumer.....

Agree - I simply don't understand the bitching about USPS. I guess if Trump says it ... the lemmings follow.

How so?

How what so? - I made a few different points there.

I for one hope he succeeds. I absolutely hate - hate when UPS joins up with the postal service to deliver packages.
If it stays with UPS, you get the package on time well over 90% of the time...but if the USPS so much as touches the package it delays it by at least a couple days if not longer, and there is no guaranteed date - only "arrive on or before date".
So we have dramatically reduced online shopping because of it. If I am buying something worth several hundred dollars I want to know exactly what day it will be on my front porch.
It doesn't work that way around here in the hills. UPS and all others refuse to drive up my hill...

Having been in advertising and marketing most of my life - I can assure you that different types of advertising work for different types of businesses. For some, direct mail works, others do better with yellow pages, radio, TV, Constant Contact email, social media - etc etc. Some of the most successful business I know don't need to advertise at all - word of mouth keeps them as busy as they want to be.

Couldn't agree more with your first sentence. A well designed marketing strategy is best, and for some direct mail is not a part of that plan.
But, nevertheless that doesn't change the fact that direct mail has a higher hit rate than any other means of advertising overall.
As you can guess, I have also been in the advertising business for many years. Specifically on the print media side :D
Agree.....I was in marketing several years myself.....a decade or two ago

But, those statistics have to be changing....with R.O.P. not being as relevant, internet more relevant, is direct mail's response rate diminishing?

Yep - I started out as a premise rep selling yellow pages for GTE and US West.
GREAT gig at the time but now a bit of a dying industry because very few people pick up the damn thing anymore.
It still works for emergency services like plumbing, roofing, disaster cleanup, HVAC, attorneys, etc.
But even then, Google is faster.

Ummm ummmm...why doesn't bezos want to pay his fair share...….plus hes a modern slaver......
What is a “fair share”? It is a contract negotiated by both parties and agreed upon. Clearly both sides felt it was fair. Amazon gives the post office a huge amount of business.

Why do support a president carrying out a personal vendetta against a private citizen? Not good.
Fair always means more...try to keep up....Where is he going to go....start his own slave co to deliver his stuff...good luck in squeezed employee market.....then he has to build out his infstructure……..
no doubt he gets extra service others dont get due to size...that = cost and headache which needs accounting for......jak his rates...he aint going anywhere

Last edited:

But, those statistics have to be changing....with R.O.P. not being as relevant, internet more relevant, is direct mail's response rate diminishing?

I think direct mail can still be successful for certain types of industries. Those have just changed over the years. Most of the stuff I see of late is for fast food, family restaurant chains like Applebee's, ISPs, TV services like Dish/Direct and others who use couponing and/or a "special offer".

Also see a lot of products that target older people. I must see half a dozen a week for things like hearing aids, retirement homes, funeral services and such.

It's hard to say. What I have found forever true is lower response rates are more due to a tired/worn-out message than the deliveyr method. Overall, the response rates are still very good. I get great reviews constantly for helping businesses, especially new businesses.
I see so many start ups struggle to get traffic because they are relying on social media advertising. But just can't get past the cost of postage mentally. For those who listen, and try targeted direct mail, they can't stop showering us with praise. Just being honest.

It's hard to say. What I have found forever true is lower response rates are more due to a tired/worn-out message than the deliveyr method. Overall, the response rates are still very good. I get great reviews constantly for helping businesses, especially new businesses.
I see so many start ups struggle to get traffic because they are relying on social media advertising. But just can't get past the cost of postage mentally. For those who listen, and try targeted direct mail, they can't stop showering us with praise. Just being honest.

Ya I agree. What still seems to work for a lot of businesses are the "neighborhood values" type of coupon books, ValPak & such.

I just don't have the patience to sort through that crap - others love it.

We ran with a 4%advertising budget with vendors coop matching 4%, so a total advertising spending of 8% a year.....this was in the dept store business for just the area of Shoes, which was a leased business running within the dept store......which brought in customers with their own advertising budget, along with basic foot traffic from simply being an anchor store in a mall.

BUT when we opened a new store, we spent 10% of our estimated sales plus matching vendor coop for the first 3 months or so, then back down to 4%.....

But know, we could utilize the Dept Store's advertising dept for copywriters, layout artist etc, to produce the ads, ROP or direct mail....... for free.....

Start ups should plan a chunk of their budget, to be spent on advertising.

Last edited:

We ran with a 4%advertising budget with vendors coop matching 4%, so a total advertising spending of 8% a year.....this was in the dept store business for just the area of Shoes, which was a leased business running within the dept store......which brought in customers with their own advertising budget, along with basic foot traffic from simply being an anchor store in a mall.

BUT when we opened a new store, we spent 10% of our estimated sales plus matching vendor coop for the first 3 months or so, then back down to 4%.....

But know, we could utilize the Dept Store's advertising dept for copywriters, layout artist etc, to produce the ads, ROP or direct mail....... for free.....

Start ups should plan a chunk of their budget, to be spent on advertising.

Exactly.
This is the one thing I am seeing in millennial's starting a business, they seem to have this strange belief in all you have to do is start a business...post it on Facebook and watch the money fall from the sky!
More than once I get this blank stare when I question about what they have figured as their customer acquisition cost. And that is the moment I know they will fail. Is business schools no longer teaching about this??

The Toxic Orange Turd has officially become more Nixonian than Nixon himself. Wonder if he has an Enemies List?

President Trump followed through on his frequent complaint that Amazon is costing the U.S. Postal Service "many billions of dollars" by urging the postmaster general to double the rate the U.S. Postal Service charges Amazon and other companies to ship their packages, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing three sources familiar with the conversations between U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan and President Trump, the Post also reported that Brennan has not acceded to the president's wishes for several reasons. For one, the Postal Service has binding contracts with these companies, and a regulatory commission would have to review those contracts. But she has also reportedly told Mr. Trump that the USPS relationship with Amazon is beneficial. In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.

If the rates were doubled, it would cost Amazon and private shippers billions, which would likely be passed on in the form of higher prices for shoppers.

The Post's sources said that Brennan and Mr. Trump have met on this issue several times beginning in 2017 and also had a meeting on it four months ago -- none of which appeared on Mr. Trump's public schedule.​

Trump has pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates, report says

Apparently Trumpelthinskin is not only angry about WaPo's honest coverage of his presiduncey - Bezos suggested launching him into space ... a VERY fine idea! :)

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

Waiting for the day Lying Trump doubles the cost of mailings for the Democrat Party, he'll call it The Watergate Decree. Then he'll get busy doubling the cost of parking for Democrats near the capital building.

That wouldn't be unprecedented.

It would be much like the Obama administration using the IRS to target conservative groups, eh?

Forum List

Back