Trump pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
The Toxic Orange Turd has officially become more Nixonian than Nixon himself. Wonder if he has an Enemies List?

President Trump followed through on his frequent complaint that Amazon is costing the U.S. Postal Service "many billions of dollars" by urging the postmaster general to double the rate the U.S. Postal Service charges Amazon and other companies to ship their packages, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing three sources familiar with the conversations between U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan and President Trump, the Post also reported that Brennan has not acceded to the president's wishes for several reasons. For one, the Postal Service has binding contracts with these companies, and a regulatory commission would have to review those contracts. But she has also reportedly told Mr. Trump that the USPS relationship with Amazon is beneficial. In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.

If the rates were doubled, it would cost Amazon and private shippers billions, which would likely be passed on in the form of higher prices for shoppers.

The Post's sources said that Brennan and Mr. Trump have met on this issue several times beginning in 2017 and also had a meeting on it four months ago -- none of which appeared on Mr. Trump's public schedule.​

Trump has pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates, report says

Apparently Trumpelthinskin is not only angry about WaPo's honest coverage of his presiduncey - Bezos suggested launching him into space ... a VERY fine idea! :)

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

if trump knew how things go he would realize that the PMG has no power to raise rates,can just make recommendations,the Postal Rate Commission does that and i believe the worthless Board Of Governors has to have a say too .....

The Toxic Orange Turd has officially become more Nixonian than Nixon himself. Wonder if he has an Enemies List?

President Trump followed through on his frequent complaint that Amazon is costing the U.S. Postal Service "many billions of dollars" by urging the postmaster general to double the rate the U.S. Postal Service charges Amazon and other companies to ship their packages, the Washington Post reported Friday.

Citing three sources familiar with the conversations between U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan and President Trump, the Post also reported that Brennan has not acceded to the president's wishes for several reasons. For one, the Postal Service has binding contracts with these companies, and a regulatory commission would have to review those contracts. But she has also reportedly told Mr. Trump that the USPS relationship with Amazon is beneficial. In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.

If the rates were doubled, it would cost Amazon and private shippers billions, which would likely be passed on in the form of higher prices for shoppers.

The Post's sources said that Brennan and Mr. Trump have met on this issue several times beginning in 2017 and also had a meeting on it four months ago -- none of which appeared on Mr. Trump's public schedule.​

Trump has pushed postmaster general to double Amazon's shipping rates, report says

Apparently Trumpelthinskin is not only angry about WaPo's honest coverage of his presiduncey - Bezos suggested launching him into space ... a VERY fine idea! :)

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

Waiting for the day Lying Trump doubles the cost of mailings for the Democrat Party, he'll call it The Watergate Decree. Then he'll get busy doubling the cost of parking for Democrats near the capital building.

Ummm ummmm...why doesn't bezos want to pay his fair share...….plus hes a modern slaver......

Here's another that sounds precisely like Trump:

The discussion in the Oval Office on May 13, 1971, was short and to the point. President Richard M. Nixon was enunciating his standards for a new commissioner of internal revenue.

"I want to be sure he is a ruthless son of a bitch, that he will do what he's told, that every income tax return I want to see I see, that he will go after our enemies and not go after our friends," Nixon told his top aides, H.R. "Bob" Haldeman and John Ehrlichman. "Now it's as simple as that. If he isn't, he doesn't get the job. "We've got to have somebody like that for a change in this place."

I for one hope he succeeds. I absolutely hate - hate when UPS joins up with the postal service to deliver packages.
If it stays with UPS, you get the package on time well over 90% of the time...but if the USPS so much as touches the package it delays it by at least a couple days if not longer, and there is no guaranteed date - only "arrive on or before date".
So we have dramatically reduced online shopping because of it. If I am buying something worth several hundred dollars I want to know exactly what day it will be on my front porch.

Jeff Bezos on Twitter
I am fairly distressed at the number of retailers going out because of Amazon! Not sure what to do about it but this is a worry!

Jeff Bezos on Twitter

Waiting for the day Lying Trump doubles the cost of mailings for the Democrat Party, he'll call it The Watergate Decree. Then he'll get busy doubling the cost of parking for Democrats near the capital building.
Do what Seattle did. Have a head tax on all democrats.

Jeff Bezos on Twitter
/---/- Why should we subsidize Amazon's shipping costs? Why Tinkerbell, why?

I am fairly distressed at the number of retailers going out because of Amazon! Not sure what to do about it but this is a worry!

Brick and mortar is dying - If Amazon is hurting retailers then they need to find something new to retail. Amazon can't compete with a number of things. Additionally, some retailers have found that they can sell their products THROUGH Amazon.

Half the stuff I order on my Amazon Prime comes from a 3rd party seller.

I for one hope he succeeds. I absolutely hate - hate when UPS joins up with the postal service to deliver packages.
If it stays with UPS, you get the package on time well over 90% of the time...but if the USPS so much as touches the package it delays it by at least a couple days if not longer, and there is no guaranteed date - only "arrive on or before date".
So we have dramatically reduced online shopping because of it. If I am buying something worth several hundred dollars I want to know exactly what day it will be on my front porch.

Try Amazon Prime. It's a hundred bucks a year and worth every penny.
I buy everything on Amazon but groceries and it's on my porch 2 days later .. most of the time via USPS.
USPS is even delivering Amazon stuff on Sundays now at least where I live.

If its ok for Seattle to demand a huge chunk of change from em for nothing more than employing people raising postal rates should be even more righteous

Try Amazon Prime. It's a hundred bucks a year and worth every penny.
I buy everything on Amazon but groceries and it's on my porch 2 days later .. most of the time via USPS.
USPS is even delivering Amazon stuff on Sundays now at least where I live.

"At least where I live"...that is the thing.
In major cities, or smaller towns very close to a major city, the service is undoubtedly better.
But that is not the case in more rural settings like mine.
UPS is outstanding here, Fedex is pretty good....USPS parcel is hit and miss to say the least.
And I have had Prime for years. It isn't any better. For a while Prime was "UPS only"...and you're right several items are 2 day guaranteed and they always use UPS exclusively for those. All the rest is the problem.

Ummm ummmm...why doesn't bezos want to pay his fair share...….plus hes a modern slaver......

Apparently you failed to read the story and check out the links. USPS is making a fortune off Amazon and they offer every other large bulk shipper the same exact rate.
DOnt think it said fortune......and theres nothing wrong with making more......

In 2017, Postal Service revenues from private shippers including Amazon added up to $7 billion, Politifact noted.

Forum List

Back