too little too late...

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
WASHINGTON – Determined to project both command and compassion, President Barack Obama is returning to the Louisiana coast for a fresh reality check on work to stanch the oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico and the spiraling effects of the nation's worst environmental disaster. The president underscored the mounting political implications by abruptly canceling plans for a trip to Indonesia and Australia later this month.

Addressing a crisis that threatens to undermine his presidency, Obama spoke for many Thursday in declaring himself furious at a situation that "is imperiling an entire way of life and an entire region for potentially years." Friday's trip will be his second to the Gulf in eight days, answering critics in both parties who suggest he has seemed detached from the crisis.

Polls show the public growing more negative toward the president's handling of the spill.

'Furious' Obama heading to Gulf for spill update - Yahoo! News

you cant stop the damage that has been done by the passed how many days....

obama is simply trying to save face at this point....

he has certainly avoided saving the gulf....not that in reality he could have...but his late pr bullmal is just that

I will be curious to see the images and the media slant. He certainly has the ability to appear in control in certain situations, but I don't think this will be one of those moments for him.

When CNN's Anderson Cooper says this:

COOPER: It is sort of fascinating, David, for a president who watched Katrina and saw the- you know, the failures of the Bush administration- and there were failures, also, at the state and local level, we all know, in Katrina. But for a president who saw that and- you know, was very critical of it, to now find himself in a situation in which he's being criticized for the lack of response or lack of coordination, is kind of stunning.

Read more: CNN's Cooper: It's 'Stunning' Obama Let Oil Leak Become 'Katrina in Slow Mo' | NewsBusters.org

You know you've got a problem.

Obama will not let this "good crisis" go to waste for his own personal gains. I would expect energy costs to increase substantially and the backroom deals with "green energy" companies to flourish.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sep27sMmG-0]YouTube - Seether - "Fake It" Uncensored[/ame]

This is an incredibly sad disaster. I don't care how the Obama-Run MSM and loyal Hopey Changeys try and spin things. This President has handled this tragedy very badly. Just think if he had an (R) by his name? If he had that (R) by his name i'm pretty sure the MSM and Hopey Changeys would be spinning things quite differently. They would be up on their high horses demanding Impeachment by now. Most people have no idea how awful this spill really is. Corruption & incompetence are rampant in this administration at this point. It's very sad.

WASHINGTON – Determined to project both command and compassion, President Barack Obama is returning to the Louisiana coast for a fresh reality check on work to stanch the oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico and the spiraling effects of the nation's worst environmental disaster. The president underscored the mounting political implications by abruptly canceling plans for a trip to Indonesia and Australia later this month.

Addressing a crisis that threatens to undermine his presidency, Obama spoke for many Thursday in declaring himself furious at a situation that "is imperiling an entire way of life and an entire region for potentially years." Friday's trip will be his second to the Gulf in eight days, answering critics in both parties who suggest he has seemed detached from the crisis.

Polls show the public growing more negative toward the president's handling of the spill.

Yeah, because there was SO much more he could have done to prevent the damage from millions of gallons of oil leaking from BPs well:cuckoo:

Yeah, because there was SO much more he could have done to prevent the damage from millions of gallons of oil leaking from BPs well:cuckoo:

Can you tell us exactly what he HAS done so far?

It's about the Gulf not Golf Mr. President. We don't have much real credible News Media left at this point. If the MSM had any credibility left,they would be savaging this President's astounding incompetence on this tragedy. I guess you gotta have an (R) by your name for the corrupt MSM to pretend they care. What a sad scam.

What is there for the POTUS to do? He has conversed with BP and the USCG about trying to contain the leak...beyond that, what can the POTUS do?

What is there for the POTUS to do? He has conversed with BP and the USCG about trying to contain the leak...beyond that, what can the POTUS do?

That is the irony of this whole thing.

People say "he is doing all he can to fix the problem"

Others say "he could show more compassion"

And people say "he is the President. It is his job to help fix the probelem, not walk around hugging the victims"

I say...

Really?
Is he in the oil drilling business? Did people vote for him to fix drill platforms and oil leaks? Is he really the one deciding what method to use? I mean, that in itself scares the hell out of me. He claimed to know more about the economy than many economists; he claimed to know the facts in Massachusettes before the police knew them. But really? We should trust that he knows better than BP how to fix the problem? Really? Never had this problem before, BP is struggling with it, But Mr. Obama will save the day with his engineering intelligence?

What should he be doing?

Meeting with the people. Showing them sincere compassion; not prepared speeches. Talking to those in the industry in a humane way; not in a threatening way. Talk to the country from the heart.

You know, like the President should.

Remmeber why you voted for him? His charisma. Not his experience. Certainly not his associations. Most definately not his experience in the oil industry.

Mr. Obama. You were elected becuase people like you. So be there for the people and stop trying to be superman.

How's that?

And people say "he is the President. It is his job to help fix the probelem, not walk around hugging the victims"

I say...

Really?
Is he in the oil drilling business? Did people vote for him to fix drill platforms and oil leaks? Is he really the one deciding what method to use? I mean, that in itself scares the hell out of me. He claimed to know more about the economy than many economists; he claimed to know the facts in Massachusettes before the police knew them. But really? We should trust that he knows better than BP how to fix the problem? Really? Never had this problem before, BP is struggling with it, But Mr. Obama will save the day with his engineering intelligence?

What should he be doing?

Meeting with the people. Showing them sincere compassion; not prepared speeches. Talking to those in the industry in a humane way; not in a threatening way. Talk to the country from the heart.

Remmeber why you voted for him? His charisma. Not his experience. Certainly not his associations. Most definately not his experience in the oil industry.

Mr. Obama. You were elected becuase people like you. So be there for the people and stop trying to be superman.

How's that?

AND whether anyone cares to hear this or not, the problems Obama is facing in the rest of our country and across the globe, didn't just stop because BP's oil well blew up....

Well couldn't he just tell us everything is just peachy-keen like he has been trying to do with the economy?

Now to get serious, I don't have any idea what he should have done or should do now.

Sadly, this is an environmental disaster and I wonder if anyone at all has any idea at all about what can be done.

This is not the President's fault nor should he be blamed from not stopping it from the start. I'm sure efforts have been on-going by all parties involved to stop this leak from the beginning of the disaster. I highly doubt anyone has been sitting back twiddling their thumbs while millions upon millions of gallons of oil are lost in the Gulf of Mexico.

Whatever the solution is, I pray it is found and found soon.

Immie

oh yea,, his being furious does us a shitload of good donut?

About as much good as his going there. But I understand the mentally challenged amonst us need to see the POTUS at the scene of the disaster even though his prescence doesn't change a thing. He'd be more effective staying away and directing the BP oversight efforts. After all, in this situation, that's all he can do is provide oversight. This is in BP's plate.

I say...

Really?

What should he be doing?

How's that?

AND whether anyone cares to hear this or not, the problems Obama is facing in the rest of our country and across the globe, didn't just stop because BP's oil well blew up....

If interviews with Marv Albert and dinner dances with Paul McCartney are an ecample of those other problems, then I would agree.

He cancelled international trips for due to the oil spill. So what is he doing with the time? Sitting there in his office making calculations using calculus to determine the best angle to approch the leak with a diamond tipped saw?

it doesn't matter from a political standpoint. If he did 'take more leadership' on this, although i don't really know what that would entail, the Fox-ish pundits would decry him as a pseudo-dictator that's trying to micromanage and is hampering the containment and relief efforts.

It's essentially a no-win for the administration on this. He makes an appearance at the coast, it's a lame PR stunt; he doesn't make an appearance at the coast, he's not engaged enough in the problem.

And i don't blame those pundits for playing that angle, it how the party out of power operates. You criticize the party in power, regardless of merit, and spin the negative to play to your positive. Politics is pretty much synonymous with PR, i think.

But i guess that's me and my cynicism of the political machines. :doubt:

he has certainly avoided saving the gulf....not that in reality he could have...but his late pr bullmal is just that

If he had gone to the Coast every other day since the spill started, it would have been just as much PR bullshit. Obama is doing exactly what he should be doing - staying out of the way of people who actually know what they're doing.

Which, in this case, happens to be NO ONE.

Forum List

Back