"Thumper" and/or "Bible Thumper"

Isaac Brock said:
Perhaps we can all agree, that labels such as Bible thumper, faggot, etc are not becoming of adults and as such, we all refrain from using them. Labelling someone is the lazy man's way of arguing.

this does not mean you are going to lock this thread...I believe it needs to be aired...just a thought!

Isaac Brock said:
Perhaps we can all agree, that labels such as Bible thumper, faggot, etc are not becoming of adults and as such, we all refrain from using them. Labelling someone is the lazy man's way of arguing.

I have no issues calling homo's faggots... or an over-zealous Christian a "Bible Thumper" - a moronic black person a ****** - a white idiot a cracker (whatever else fits white idiots) - an asian idiot a gook - or whatever.. Call a spade a spade - if the shoe fits does that mean it's an insult?

To me they're just names to describe incredibly idiotic people - am a dork at times? Sure.. aren't we all?

It's time for folks to GET OVER IT with the labels and stop being so damned politically correct - "Ooo.. he called me a Bible Thumper"... "Ooo he called me this or that" - it doesn't bother me in the least.

Especially when it's coming from the likes of Mr. P or Nucular - gotta consider the source sometimes Jeff...:)

Mr. P said:
What needs aired Arch, calling a spade a spade, or trying to shut the offending person up? :)

I for one am from the old school...not thin skinned...I can dish it out and I can take it...this is what our founding fathers wanted...good or bad is the name of the game...or if the kitchen gets too hot...get the hell out...and come back another day...I do not always agree with everyone...and thats the way it should be!

archangel said:
I for one am from the old school...not thin skinned...I can dish it out and I can take it...this is what our founding fathers wanted...good or bad is the name of the game...or if the kitchen gets too hot...get the hell out...and come back another day...I do not always agree with everyone...and thats the way it should be!

People on this board are very "liberal" (to use the dreaded word in a different way) with derogation and insults. It's strange to request that some not be used while others remain unchallenged.
:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

-=d=- said:
Those using the term have been asked to stop. That's all it should take.

That's nice. Then I would like to request that members refrain from calling other people "liberal" unless that person has described themselves with that term.

nucular said:
People on this board are very "liberal" (to use the dreaded word in a different way) with derogation and insults. It's strange to request that some not be used while others remain unchallenged.
:boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

I find this board to be a good mix of "Liberal" as well as "Conservative....however I disagree also with censorship...If y'all want to get technical the word "******" came from the word "Niger" which is a country in Africa that sold slaves to the colonies..the word "Niger" was the word used on the ships manifest to identify the cargos port of depature(country of origin)...so technically it is not a offensive word...since both Africans(Niger) and the "White" colonist... were guilty of providing the cargo as well as those(Marine shipping Companies) who used the name on the manifest....this is just a matter of semantics on the written "English" word. Go figure............... :wtf:

archangel said:
I agree Arch..That would be rule #1..Freedom of speech..But we have some folks here that only want the freedom of "Their" speech their terms etc..that's a problem..

nucular said:
That's nice. Then I would like to request that members refrain from calling other people "liberal" unless that person has described themselves with that term.

...except that is 100% not even close to the same. People betray themselves as 'liberal' when they discuss their political views. "Thumper" is of a hateful, bigotted nature as shown above. If "Liberal" is offensive, don't be a liberal. (shrug).

I haven't seen a SINGLE case of a Christian 'thumping' here on the forum; nobody has once had religion 'forced down their throats'. It's ONLY purpose is to insult.

"Liberal" describes a political philosophy, and 'can' be an insult.

Mr.P however, simply uses 'thumper' like a KKK member would use '******'. Frankly, I believe Mr.P to be a Christophobe.

...further - what is really pissing me off lately is the unwillingness of people to simply 'humble' themselves.

Mr.P - stop being such a prick to people. You incite flames with your calloused attitude towards ppl of faith. You are old and smart enough to know how to play nice with others; that's all it takes. Simply say something like 'Oh, wow, Jeff...Sorry about that; I had no desire to offend you. I'll try to be more judicious in my use of the term.'. That however, would require humility - which is a dying art nowadays...

(sigh)

Okay...Geeezzz..."Oh, wow, Jeff...Sorry about that; I had no desire to offend you. I'll try to be more judicious in my use of the term."
I can't believe this thread hasn't been shut down YET! Must be new policy.:dunno:

-=d=- said:
...further - what is really pissing me off lately is the unwillingness of people to simply 'humble' themselves.

Mr.P - stop being such a prick to people. You incite flames with your calloused attitude towards ppl of faith. You are old and smart enough to know how to play nice with others; that's all it takes. Simply say something like 'Oh, wow, Jeff...Sorry about that; I had no desire to offend you. I'll try to be more judicious in my use of the term.'. That however, would require humility - which is a dying art nowadays...

(sigh)

Humility is not a lost art..it has been used and abused for centuries...this is not the issue here...whether I agree or disagree with the use of words some people use is not my concern...yes words can be offensive to some and not others....this can take the form of sexual as well as mental and or verbal assaults...we must all grow up to the fact that one cannot control anothers language or perceived language...this is in our constitution.."Good,Bad or Ugly"

If this is not the case then this forum is usless...may as well live in the old "Soviet Union"..This is why...I assume... we are fighting the WOT....we do not want to be controlled by "Mullahs" or "Dictators"

archangel said:
Humility is not a lost art..it has been used and abused for centuries...this is not the issue here...whether I agree or disagree with the use of words some people use is not my concern...yes words can be offensive to some and not others....this can take the form of sexual as well as mental and or verbal assaults...we must all grow up to the fact that one cannot control anothers language or perceived language...this is in our constitution.."Good,Bad or Ugly"

If this is not the case then this forum is usless...may as well live in the old "Soviet Union"..This is why...I assume... we are fighting the WOT....we do not want to be controlled by "Mullahs" or "Dictators"

You seem really have no concept of 'right' and 'privilege'...You seem to have no concept of 'Sometimes the 'legal' thing to do, or the thing you may be justified in doing, is not 'the right thing' to do.

Hopeless, imo...

archangel said:

EXACTLY!! *rep ya for that post if I could..*

Mr. P said:
EXACTLY!! *rep ya for that post if I could..*

Isn't this an issue that should be handled by Jim? Everyone can submit a list of what words they want banned and he can make the final decision.

-=d=- said:
You seem really have no concept of 'right' and 'privilege'...You seem to have no concept of 'Sometimes the 'legal' thing to do, or the thing you may be justified in doing, is not 'the right thing' to do.

Hopeless, imo...

Okay...you are right in the sense that you only want to hear what you want....I on the other hand spent time in the military during a conflict...then finished off my career in law enforcement...so I guess in your humble opinion I have no concept of" legal"issues as it pertains herewith...please explain to me and others... the legal issue of "Freedom of Speech"... without censorship...If ya want to chastise someone for bad language I will support you...but will not support censorship....pure and simple!

dilloduck said:
Isn't this an issue that should be handled by Jim? Everyone can submit a list of what words they want banned and he can make the final decision.
I think so..wasn't there a thread about this sort of thing...why just last week? Hummmmm..and this thread started by a MOD too..just damn..

Mr. P said:
Okay...Geeezzz..."Oh, wow, Jeff...Sorry about that; I had no desire to offend you. I'll try to be more judicious in my use of the term."
I can't believe this thread hasn't been shut down YET! Must be new policy.:dunno:

It's obvious that that was a sarcastic post... my whole point was to point out the offensiveness of the term, since you seem so willing to use it whenever someone brings up anything Christian. So if that's what floats your boat, then just go right ahead. But you are showing yourself to be an anti-Christian bigot with every use of the term.

Forum List

Back