"Thumper" and/or "Bible Thumper"

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
Some people may know this, some may not. But here you go.

---------------
Bible Thumper: n. Offensive. Used as a disparaging term for a Christian, especially a fundamentalist or evangelical Christian, considered to be overly zealous in haranguing or censuring others.

Bible thumper is a highly pejorative term used to describe Christian fundamentalists, or anyone perceived as such. As an insult, its target domain is broad and can often extend to anyone engaged in a public show of religiosity, fundamentalist or not.

The term alludes to a preacher thumping his hand hard down on the lectern and the Bible on it to emphasize a point during a sermon.
--------------

Seeing as how the term is considered offensive to its target, much as the word "******" is offensive to blacks, I would highly recommend (as a member, not as a "mod") that people refrain from using it.

gop_jeff said:

---------------
Bible Thumper: n. Offensive. Used as a disparaging term for a Christian, especially a fundamentalist or evangelical Christian, considered to be overly zealous in haranguing or censuring others.

Bible thumper is a highly pejorative term used to describe Christian fundamentalists, or anyone perceived as such. As an insult, its target domain is broad and can often extend to anyone engaged in a public show of religiosity, fundamentalist or not.

The term alludes to a preacher thumping his hand hard down on the lectern and the Bible on it to emphasize a point during a sermon.
--------------

Seeing as how the term is considered offensive to its target, much as the word "******" is offensive to blacks, I would highly recommend (as a member, not as a "mod") that people refrain from using it.

I see you received a pm from freeandfun too!

Although I did not want to start a conflict, I have to admit feeling belittled by this phrase also.

And here I thought this was a cuddly-bunny-thread....well, I'm hijacking it!!

thumper.gif

gop_jeff said:

---------------

--------------

oops...you forgot these, from the same site too...
* Someone who tries in a forceful or enthusiastic way to persuade other people to believe in the Christian religion and the Bible.
* An evangelical or fundamentalist Christian who believes the Bible is the inspired Word of God and that its enclosed laws and precepts should strongly guide public policy.
Yep, all on the same site...guess ya missed that part..

Mr. P said:
* Someone who tries in a forceful or enthusiastic way to persuade other people to believe in the Christian religion and the Bible.
* An evangelical or fundamentalist Christian who believes the Bible is the inspired Word of God and that its enclosed laws and precepts should strongly guide public policy.

I didn't miss it. That's why I provided the links. What I cut and pasted from the site was meant to be a summary. The purpose of the post was to inform people that the term is used (and interpreted) as offensive by many.

Mr. P said:

Noun 1. Jerk - a dull stupid fatuous person. <-------- YOU

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Mr. P said:
Oh and BTW...Lets see ya take a stand on the term Fag/gay/ queer
that get thrown at NE all the time..
Hummm...this thread could be fun.:D

The offensiveness of "fag" and "queer" is well known. The offensiveness of "Bible thumper" is not particularly well known. But if you'd like to discuss it, feel free to start your own thread all about it.

gop_jeff said:
The offensiveness of "fag" and "queer" is well known. The offensiveness of "Bible thumper" is not particularly well known. But if you'd like to discuss it, feel free to start your own thread all about it.
No need to start another thread..everyone understands each term..It seems that only "thumper" gets attention here though, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Mr. P said:
No need to start another thread..everyone understands each term..It seems that only "thumper" gets attention here though, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Specifically, because you keep throwing the term out in threads when someone starts using Christian doctrine to justify their position. But also to inform others that the term is offensive.

gop_jeff said:
Specifically, because you keep throwing the term out in threads when someone starts using Christian doctrine to justify their position. But also to inform others that the term is offensive.
So where is the thread on Fag or queer with NE is bashed? Not here is it? NOPE...can we say, hypocrite?

Mr. P said:
So where is the thread on Fag or queer with NE is bashed? Not here is it? NOPE...can we say, hypocrite?

I respect your service as a VN chopper vet...however if ya go back to the combat days...I am sure that ya said "God Help Me" if I am wrong...well carry on! :dunno:

Mr. P said:

If NE feels insulted and wants to start that thread, he is welcome to it. Since I felt insulted by your use of the term "thumper," I started this thread. And two other members have already said that they also are offended by the term (mom4 and freenandfun1).

You are obviously trying to justify your behavior by calling me a hypocrite. Way to take responsibility for your actions. :rolleyes:

BTW, if I don't respond, it's because lunch is over, not because I'm dodging the argument.

gop_jeff said:
If NE feels insulted and wants to start that thread, he is welcome to it. Since I felt insulted by your use of the term "thumper," I started this thread. And two other members have already said that they also are offended by the term (mom4 and freenandfun1).

You are obviously trying to justify your behavior by calling me a hypocrite. Way to take responsibility for your actions. :rolleyes:
BTW, if I don't respond, it's because lunch is over, not because I'm dodging the argument.
There is no argument Jeff...If the shoe by definition of THUMPER as we have posted fits, wear it. Or PM Jim with your problem..BTW no rule has been broken. Speaking of rules..why did you choose to post a thread after you had complaints, instead of a pm? Isn't that what is suppose to happen, a pm?.
Gosh why does that hypocrite thing keep coming up? Are you really a MOD or just playing one?:tng:

Perhaps we can all agree, that labels such as Bible thumper, faggot, etc are not becoming of adults and as such, we all refrain from using them. Labelling someone is the lazy man's way of arguing.

Forum List

Back