Those darn racist Republicans

The guy couldn't even run his own successful senate campaign and now the Republican party is picking him to chair their party?

Gee, how funny at the timing of this pick. :eusa_whistle:

True dat, yet managed to do so with that damn war. Go figure...

A mere side affect of what he was desperate to try and win the war to do. He planned to reslave African Americans once everything settled down, but obviously never got that chance.

He died a racist who believed that Blacks were inferior to Whites.

A mere side affect of what he was desperate to try and win the war to do. He planned to reslave African Americans once everything settled down, but obviously never got that chance.

Jeremiah Wright has joined the thread.

No, it's the truth. Lincoln freed the slaves in the south knowing the affects it would have on the morale of the slaves to run to the North, the slaveowners who'd lose not only their main work force but a good fighting force, and the south economy which was in shambles at the time.

Ironic thing is, Lincoln never freed the slaves in the North. Nor in the South once they became part of the Union again. What he declared with the Proclaimation was that any enemy of the U.S. that has slaves are no longer slaves.

EDIT: By the way, Jeremiah Wright has said some really fucked up things. However, he has made several good points also.

Provide a source for this outrageous claim. Or admit you are so full of shit your hair is brown. You know the part where he planned to return slaves to slavery.

President Lincoln did not have the power to free the slaves in the North or non rebelling States. It required a Congressional act, an amendment to the Constitution. Nor did freed slaves suddenly become slaves again once the North captured a southern area.

More outrageous ignorance by Modbert.

Provide a source for this outrageous claim. Or admit you are so full of shit your hair is brown. You know the part where he planned to return slaves to slavery.

Abraham Lincoln on slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though Abraham Lincoln has been one of the people identified as most responsible for the abolition of slavery, he maintained that the Constitution prohibited the federal government from abolishing slavery in states where it already existed

The war powers were the basis for the Emancipation Proclamation. The technical language of the Proclamation never actually freed slaves in the border states or in areas of the Confederacy already back under Union control, but strategically only gave freedom to slaves in Confederate territories where Lincoln did not have actual power and would disrupt the enemy. Many slaves were freed however, as the war continued. Lincoln was hesitant about pursuing broader emancipation during the war for areas already under Union control[citation needed], not wanting to provoke sedition in those Union areas that would be affected. Lincoln also attempted to compensate former slave owners for their losses throughout the war[citation needed]. The border states were pressured to abolish slavery on their own (all but Kentucky did so), and in doing so contributed to the more than 180,000 blacks in the Union Army and Navy. Lincoln credited these soldiers and sailors with turning the tide of the war[citation needed], and argued that their sacrifice earned both freedom and the right to vote. The Thirteenth Amendment made abolition permanent.

Lincoln wrote to Joshua Speed in 1855:

How can any one who abhors the oppression of negroes, be in favor of degrading classes of white people? Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes." When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty — to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be take pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy [sic].[2

Lincoln maintained before secession that the federal government did not possess the constitutional power to end slavery in states where it already existed and backed the Corwin Amendment to affirm this principle.

Though he thought it was essentially a reaffirmation of terms already in the Constitution, Lincoln was a driving force in 1861 for the compromise Corwin amendment. It was never passed, but would have explicitly prohibited congressional interference with slavery in states where it already existed. The goal of the Corwin amendment was to reassure the slave-holding border states of no effective hostility directed at them

Lincoln made it clear that the North was fighting the war to preserve the Union. On August 22, 1862, just a few weeks before signing the Proclamation and after he had already discussed a draft of it with his cabinet in July, he wrote a letter in response to an editorial by Horace Greeley of the New York Tribune which had urged complete abolition:

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.
I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free. [3]

Lincoln:

My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia,—to their own native land. But a moment’s reflection would convince me that whatever of high hope (as I think there is) there may be in this, in the long run, its sudden execution is impossible

And of course on the September 18, 1858 debate:

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And in as much as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race

Perhaps I was wrong about Lincoln in his final years of whether he would eventually reslave African Americans. However, it is quite clear he had no intentions of giving equal rights to them or give up on trying to eventually recolonizate them some place else.

History however shows that he fought to stop the end of slavery and stated that under the Constitution that it could not be taken away from slave states. So it would of been a quite interesting trial had he lived.

It is also quite clear like I said that he was racist and freed slaves in the South because it benefited the North in the Civil War.

Last edited:
President Lincoln did not have the power to free the slaves in the North or non rebelling States. It required a Congressional act, an amendment to the Constitution. Nor did freed slaves suddenly become slaves again once the North captured a southern area.

Don't you know we live in the US of KKKA :lol:

Those racist Republicans better be leery of those Union Democrats in the suburbs of Philadelphia for they have long coveted the title of Grand Wizard.

I'm only telling you the claims such as "Lincoln freed the slaves" that I was taught in school and seen several times on this board that has been debunked.

I never stated that freed slaves suddenly became slaves again once the North captured a southern area. I simply stated that they technically weren't free until the 13th Amendment unless you can point to some other form of Legislation between the Proclaimation and the 13th amendment that stated such a thing.

Indeed. Damn it Robert, you are growing more squirrely by the day!

Indeed. Damn it Robert, you are growing more squirrely by the day!

:rolleyes: Annie, you've showed your dislike if not hatred for me for a long time now.

Sarge, he's always hated me.

And I'm not exactly liked by Elvis at the moment for our argument in the civil union thread. So how about I begin to care when a unbiased person gives me their opinion?

Sorry if it jives with your idea of the truth but Lincoln was a racist, he wanted to send African Americans to Libya, and his intentions about whether he wanted to reenslave blacks will forever be up in the air due to both his death and the fact he was a politician with saying one thing in public and another in private letters.

He didn't see African Americans as equals in any way. He defended the fact slave owners should be able to keep their slaves under the constitution and had no intention to fight them on it.

He tried to bribe the states that bordered the North like Maryland to get rid of their slaves in case a North general might go in and free all the slaves which would turn the hand of the other bordering states to join the Confederacy. Lincoln did what was best for the North. If it was saying Blacks were free, he said it. He himself stated that if he could end this war but not free any slave, he'd do so.

But hey, why listen to piles of evidence and fact? Personal character attacks are alot more fun! :cuckoo:

EDIT: Though maybe Republicans feel I am attacking them by saying what I am. I'm not, however the myth that Lincoln not only freed the slaves but was a friend to them is absolute BULLSHIT.

Last edited:

I'm only telling you the claims such as "Lincoln freed the slaves" that I was taught in school and seen several times on this board that has been debunked.

I never stated that freed slaves suddenly became slaves again once the North captured a southern area. I simply stated that they technically weren't free until the 13th Amendment unless you can point to some other form of Legislation between the Proclaimation and the 13th amendment that stated such a thing.

Wrong YOU claimed Lincoln intended to re enslave them. I am waiting for your source and documentation on that claim. That is the most ignorant statement I have seen ina LONG time, including the moronic drivel of Chris.

Forum List

Back