Those darn racist Republicans

President Lincoln did not have the power to free the slaves in the North or non rebelling States. It required a Congressional act, an amendment to the Constitution. Nor did freed slaves suddenly become slaves again once the North captured a southern area.

More outrageous ignorance by Modbert.

I'm only telling you the claims such as "Lincoln freed the slaves" that I was taught in school and seen several times on this board that has been debunked.

I never stated that freed slaves suddenly became slaves again once the North captured a southern area. I simply stated that they technically weren't free until the 13th Amendment unless you can point to some other form of Legislation between the Proclaimation and the 13th amendment that stated such a thing.

Wrong YOU claimed Lincoln intended to re enslave them. I am waiting for your source and documentation on that claim. That is the most ignorant statement I have seen ina LONG time, including the moronic drivel of Chris.

Again, until the passing of the 13th amendment; slaves were not free in this country by any law.

Lincoln didn't free the slaves because he wanted to and there is no evidence that he truly believed they were equal and should stay in the U.S when all evidence points to him being a racist in private who wanted the slaves to be sent back to Africa.

We can go back and forth on the wording of the Proclaimation, what Lincoln's ideas were in 1865 and say our what ifs but it will get neither of us anywhere.

But I see you are not disputing anything else I said because you realize it's true no?

EDIT: If you haven't noticed, I stated in my next post or so that I might be wrong in my judgement of Lincoln and what he had planned to do with the slaves after the Civil War. However, there is not much evidence that Lincoln planned to treat the slaves favorably.

Last edited:
Once free there was no going back and Lincoln would not have tried even if he were the racist you claim. No great number of white Americans thought blacks were equal but a hell of a lot, including Lincoln felt they should not be slaves.

Just admit you made a STUPID statement and move on.

Lincoln made it clear he was against slavery but that legally without war or an act of Congress there was no danger to the institution. Lincoln wanted to preserve the Union at ANY cost. And yes that would have including making promises to do nothing about slavery as President. Which has EXACTLY nothing to do with YOUR claim he planned to re enslave them after the war.

President Lincoln did not have the power to free the slaves in the North or non rebelling States. It required a Congressional act, an amendment to the Constitution. Nor did freed slaves suddenly become slaves again once the North captured a southern area.

More outrageous ignorance by Modbert.

Don't you know we live in the US of KKKA :lol:

we sure as hell do,, ask the obamalama

Another example of how racist the republican party REALLY is.

Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman - Yahoo! News

Of course the ignorant claims will now begin.

Excellent! :clap2:

Whew! I was worried the GOP might actually appoint someone capable, forward thinking, and dynamic.

I think a failed senate candidate and a current Fox News punidt is the perfect choice for the GOP.

I guess the GOP didn't learn their lesson from the Palin fiasco! Women and blacks aren't stupid enough to fall for a lame gimmick. Carry on GOP!

Whew! I was worried the GOP might actually appoint someone capable, forward thinking, and dynamic.

I think a failed senate candidate and a current Fox News punidt is the perfect choice for the GOP.

I guess the GOP didn't learn their lesson from the Palin fiasco! Women and blacks aren't stupid enough to fall for a lame gimmick. Carry on GOP!

That's what I was wondering. If the GOP wants to succeed, wouldn't they pick someone who has at least been somewhat successful? This guy has a failed senate run on his record, not exactly the best way to represent your party.

And what had Obama done before being PRESIDENT? Put staples in telelphone poles and vote present? OH I forgot. He blocked the born alive bill and babies suffocated because of it.

And what had Obama done before being PRESIDENT? Put staples in telelphone poles and vote present? OH I forgot. He blocked the born alive bill and babies suffocated because of it.

I really don't feel like going through the list of Obama accomplishments again.

But even if you take all that away, I suppose running a campaign like he did and raising eventually $750 million with millions of donors; many of them new to donating money to campaign means little to nothing to you?

Because I'm willing to bet that the GOP would give it's left nut for the kind of campaign numbers that Obama was putting up.

I really don't feel like going through the list of Obama accomplishments again.

But even if you take all that away, I suppose running a campaign like he did and raising eventually $750 million with millions of donors; many of them new to donating money to campaign means little to nothing to you?

Because I'm willing to bet that the GOP would give it's left nut for the kind of campaign numbers that Obama was putting up.

I could care less about how much money he's able to raise. That should have been an easy task given the popularity of Bush. All one has to do is say they are the change candidate (even though he isnt). He hasn't done anything in his government positions.

That's what I was wondering. If the GOP wants to succeed, wouldn't they pick someone who has at least been somewhat successful? This guy has a failed senate run on his record, not exactly the best way to represent your party.
yeah, he failed in his senate run, yet he ran a successful Lt Gov race
in a state where Republicans seldom win

On the surface, great.

When you look below, not so great.

In 2002, then-Congressman Robert Ehrlich selected Steele as his running mate and nominee for Lieutenant Governor in the campaign against Democrat Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, who was then the Lieutenant Governor (under Governor Parris Glendening). Steele resigned his chairmanship of the Maryland Republican Party to campaign full-time. In endorsing Townsend, The Baltimore Sun praised her running mate, Charles R. Larson, for his experience and expertise, and added: "By contrast, Mr. Ehrlich's running mate, state GOP chairman Michael S. Steele, brings little to the team but the color of his skin."[5]

In the September primary election, Ehrlich and Steele had no serious opposition. In the November 2002 general election, even though Maryland traditionally votes Democratic and had not elected a Republican Governor in almost 40 years, the Townsend campaign was tainted by problems with outgoing governor Glendening's personal life. The Ehrlich-Steele ticket won, 51% to 48%.

Steele’s most prominent efforts for the Ehrlich administration were reforming the state’s Minority Business Enterprise program and chairing Governor Ehrlich’s Commission on Quality Education in Maryland. While opposed to the death penalty, Steele endured criticism for not standing firmly against Ehrlich's support of the punishment, despite claims of racial inequities in its administration.[6]

And this is why I think he's a bad choice:

Steele lost the general election to Cardin on November 7, 2006, getting 44% of the vote to Cardin's 55%. The Washington Post reported that on election day the Steele campaign arranged for buses of low income people from Philadelphia to distribute fliers at polls. The flyers contained incorrect information, including a statement that Michael Steele was endorsed by prominent state Democrats and African American leaders who had not, in fact, endorsed him. The homeless people were falsely identified as volunteers although they were paid, and the campaign funds used for this purpose of hiring the homeless were not timely or properly reported or attributed to the campaign

Though I wonder if Republicans are eager having a chairman who supports Affirmative Action?

On the surface, great.

When you look below, not so great.

In 2002, then-Congressman Robert Ehrlich selected Steele as his running mate and nominee for Lieutenant Governor in the campaign against Democrat Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, who was then the Lieutenant Governor (under Governor Parris Glendening). Steele resigned his chairmanship of the Maryland Republican Party to campaign full-time. In endorsing Townsend, The Baltimore Sun praised her running mate, Charles R. Larson, for his experience and expertise, and added: "By contrast, Mr. Ehrlich's running mate, state GOP chairman Michael S. Steele, brings little to the team but the color of his skin."[5]

In the September primary election, Ehrlich and Steele had no serious opposition. In the November 2002 general election, even though Maryland traditionally votes Democratic and had not elected a Republican Governor in almost 40 years, the Townsend campaign was tainted by problems with outgoing governor Glendening's personal life. The Ehrlich-Steele ticket won, 51% to 48%.

Steele’s most prominent efforts for the Ehrlich administration were reforming the state’s Minority Business Enterprise program and chairing Governor Ehrlich’s Commission on Quality Education in Maryland. While opposed to the death penalty, Steele endured criticism for not standing firmly against Ehrlich's support of the punishment, despite claims of racial inequities in its administration.[6]

And this is why I think he's a bad choice:

Steele lost the general election to Cardin on November 7, 2006, getting 44% of the vote to Cardin's 55%. The Washington Post reported that on election day the Steele campaign arranged for buses of low income people from Philadelphia to distribute fliers at polls. The flyers contained incorrect information, including a statement that Michael Steele was endorsed by prominent state Democrats and African American leaders who had not, in fact, endorsed him. The homeless people were falsely identified as volunteers although they were paid, and the campaign funds used for this purpose of hiring the homeless were not timely or properly reported or attributed to the campaign

Though I wonder if Republicans are eager having a chairman who supports Affirmative Action?

Remind me again? Why did Primial scream guy get put in charge of the DNC. Not only did he not win an election, to my knowledge he has never held elective office. His only claim to fame being Clinton FIRED his ass when he was a General.

You do realize that his appointment is a complete repudiation of the entire last 8 years of the Bush Mis Management USA.:eusa_whistle: In other words, the current leaders of your party have agreed with what we commie pinko leftoids have been saying for the last 8 years.

And sorry, but the history of the RNC is not what you might call pure as the riven snow when it comes to racism:

The States' Rights Democratic Party (commonly known as the Dixiecrats) was a segregationist, socially conservative political party in the United States. The term Dixiecrat is a portmanteau of Dixie, referring to the Southern United States, and Democrat, referring to the United States Democratic Party. It split with the Democratic Party in the mid-20th century determined to protect what they saw as the Southern way of life against an oppressive federal government.[1]

Southern Democrats began to drift from the mainstream of the party. The formation of the Dixiecrat movement heralded an end to the New Deal coalition. For more than a century, white Southerners had overwhelmingly been Democrats, but in 1948 many bolted from the party, angered by Harry Truman's efforts to abolish or ameliorate the effects of racial segregation, and supported Strom Thurmond's third-party candidacy for president.

Over the next several decades, as the white South slowly realigned from the Democrats to the Republicans, the term came to have a broader usage. For example, it was used to refer to those members of the Electoral College who voted for Harry F. Byrd rather than John F. Kennedy in the 1960 election, and to the white Southern voters and electors who supported George C. Wallace in 1968.

Why is it today that so many Blacks vote Democrat rather than Republican? But then also why is it today that middle income voters vote Republican.:cuckoo:

I am waiting to see if someone uses the racist explanation that the dems were able to fool the Black voters.:doubt:

I personally still like Abe.:clap2:

Nice try. That talking point is no longer operative. Obama, on his own merit, won a state senate seat, a US senat seat, a Democratic national nomination, and the US presidency, in fully democratic proccesses. He's proved his credibility and capability at this point.

Steele is a fox news pundit, who failed miserably in one senate campaign. The GOP elite power heirarchy selected him as a gimmick, IMO. Personally, I'm glad they weren't concerned about finding somebody demonstrably capable and with a sustained vision for changing the party's downward spiral.

I fully realize that the GOP elite leaders are capable of selecting and appointing women and people of color to political appointment positions, to make the public face of their party seem a little less than pure 100% ivory white, and a little less overwhelmingly christian male. Those are appointments, not grass roots democratic decisions.

The GOP base, left to their own devices, for all intents and purposes never elect people of color to statewide or national office. So, this "appointment" says nothing about the GOP's base openess to diversity or tolerance.

Best wishes to Michael Steele though. I'm totally cool with this.

Last edited:
Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell, Codoleeza Rice.

All groundbreakers, all ridiculed by the left, who unsuccessfully tried to run each out on a rail.

I don't think the Republican party is racist.

I do think more Republicans today are racist, though.

So what?

They'll get over it or they'll die and the millions and million of children of formerly illegal aliens will take over their party.

Things will change that is a truism which is constant.

I don't think the Republican party is racist.

I do think more Republicans today are racist, though.

So what?

They'll get over it or they'll die and the millions and million of children of formerly illegal aliens will take over their party.

Things will change that is a truism which is constant.

:clap2::lol:

I don't think most of them are conciously racist either. I just think that most of the GOP base is more comfortable with "their own kind". Although "Barack the Magic Negro" songs and "Obama Waffles" betrays a certain racial insensitivity in the GOP base.

Hell, there's a lot of democrats who are biasd and prejudiced too. I can't see very many black candidates doing well among blue collar democrats who work the pennsylvania coal fields.

But the numbers don't lie. The GOP doesn't have a single member of congress, or in state-wide elected office who is african-american. That says a lot about the grass roots GOP base, and how they vote.

Repubs picked a black guy to run things. Wow.
That's kind of too bad. It's going to confuse the "real Americans".
:lol::lol:

Forum List

Back