This story in New York makes my blood boil

I am not sure this is a 100% the cops are in the wrong type case. The man was big and he immediately took a defensive posture...so the cops had to act to take him down. The man had asthma...no the cops did not know that. Did he die from the choke hold or was it an asthma attack? The cops were going to make sure he was in custody before concerning themselves with his complaints...most people who cannot breath, can't speak - so they probably ignored his pleas. You can choke someone and not realize you are choking them.

I know the above is just a big run on sentence...but I don't think I can convict these cops without a thorough. I don't necessarily every question is in favor of the cops, but I am saying this is not an open and shut case.

so anyone should be afraid including the cops when they see a big black men huh?
I never said anything about race. That is why I said I was proud of USMB earlier in this thread...because race was not brought up. And to be frank, race should not be the issue.

I simply stated above that I won't convict these cops before all of the facts are explored. It was a horrible accident...it surely wasn't premeditated and I don't think it was intentional.

It's nothing to explore, everything is clear on the video

Just watched the video again...no, not a closed and shut case. All hell will break loose on this one in a few weeks. Then the trial...holy shit...here we go again!

Excessive use of force over the possibility of someone selling a cigarette. Why is selling a cigarette illegal anyway? Is this supposed to mean they thought he was selling pot?

He was resisting arrest, but the use of force was excessive; and if using a choke hold is now illegal, the policeman who did it should be held accountable, as should all of those around him who assisted.

This is an example of the police doing the wrong thing.

And people here wonder why I don't say nice things about the Police.

Police are ALWAYS evil until they save your life or come to your rescue in some other way. The vast majority are decent individuals who stand between some sense of order and total chaos. There will always be a few bad apples in the barrel so it's best not to paint them all with a broad brush.

And it didn't even look like the man was resisting arrest
Actually it is quite obvious he did resist -- repeatedly saying, "Don't touch me," and backing away. Technically that authorized the cops to forcibly restrain him. But the choke-hold is prohibited by procedural directive. So the cop who used it could be in serious trouble.

putting your arms up in the air is resisting arrest?

Well yeah it is.

When a cop tells you, you are under arrest? It isn't up for discussion.

That said? These cops went way to far.

Police are ALWAYS evil until they save your life or come to your rescue in some other way. The vast majority are decent individuals who stand between some sense of order and total chaos. There will always be a few bad apples in the barrel so it's best not to paint them all with a broad brush.

I definitely agree with this. People who hate all cops are so far off the mark. What would society be without them? Anarchy where everyone has to look after and take care of themselves.

One thing that disturbed me about this video is the number of cops that were there watching what was happening and not taking any steps to help the man who couldn't breath.

He did resist arrest. First he argued with them. They should have listened though, to him and the others taking about the fight. But he didn't put his hands up in the sense of surrendering--he was fending them off and telling them not to touch him. He was not at all cooperative regarding accepting being arrested.

That doesn't mean the police did the right thing: they used excessive force and did not listen when he said he couldn't breath. And many of them stood around and watched without helping this guy.

A very bad illustration of police behavior. Very bad.

Last edited:
The man shouldn't have been murdered because that is what it was. Murder. He said quite a few times he could not breathe..and they all piled on him anyway.
But I am betting the cop will not be prosecuted.

Who investigates killings by the police?
The police do.

They'll find nothing wrong and claim all proper procedures were followed by the "officers".

If it were MY father/brother/uncle/grandfather/DOG.... I'd bide my time and patiently wait for...never mind...

The man shouldn't have been murdered because that is what it was. Murder. He said quite a few times he could not breathe..and they all piled on him anyway.
But I am betting the cop will not be prosecuted.

I am not taking sides here, but how does someone talk if they can't breath?

They don't stop robberies..they don't stop rapes..they don't stop car jackings..they don't stop burglaries....they show up after the event and fill out papers for you to give the insurance company.

I wouldn't call one for ANYTHING. They are dangerous and unstable in their arrogance...

When seconds count, the police are minutes away...

I'll handle my own business, thanks.

so anyone should be afraid including the cops when they see a big black men huh?
I never said anything about race. That is why I said I was proud of USMB earlier in this thread...because race was not brought up. And to be frank, race should not be the issue.

I simply stated above that I won't convict these cops before all of the facts are explored. It was a horrible accident...it surely wasn't premeditated and I don't think it was intentional.

It's nothing to explore, everything is clear on the video

It took 10 minutes and four different video angles to reverse a call in a baseball game. But one video and it is an open and shut case? My wife was on a jury and after the first day she was convinced of the guilt of the man after all there were pictures of the results of the assault, the man was found not guilty the second day.

The training in New York is deficient. Take a look at that guy, he is HUGE. In Los Angeles the police are trained to never use a choke hold on someone that overweight. LAPD killed a dozen fat people with choke holds before they finally got the message that fat people have a serious problem breathing normally. They die in choke holds. It isn't the fault of the police. The criminal had them at height and weight. They should have shot him in both legs, he'd still be alive.

To think this man was selling "illegal" cigarettes.

That's the State for you.

"He was trying to sell goods without paying us our tribute, so we had to choke him to death."

Keep voting Rubes.

Police are no different then any other area of life. They put up with a bunch of BS and some of them snap. Maybe in this situation there was too much force involved. The police, as with everyone, make decisions based on judgment. I am thinking that applying the EXACT amount of force would be hard so failing on the side of too much would be as easy as failing on the side of too little. That said, what would be the motive of the police for what some are calling murder? I think that maybe there is something called "tough cop" syndrome. Like we saw at Waco where the ATF wanted to put on a show of force and it got way out of hand. Same thing here maybe the cop wanted to show the guy who was boss, that I think is the most logical of motives.

The training in New York is deficient. Take a look at that guy, he is HUGE. In Los Angeles the police are trained to never use a choke hold on someone that overweight. LAPD killed a dozen fat people with choke holds before they finally got the message that fat people have a serious problem breathing normally. They die in choke holds. It isn't the fault of the police. The criminal had them at height and weight. They should have shot him in both legs, he'd still be alive.

Shoot him?..in the legs? ..and he'd "still be alive"? You realize there are arteries in your legs and you could bleed out in a couple of minutes?..shoot him..LMFAO....

You watch a lot of tv, right?

That said, what would be the motive of the police for what some are calling murder?

He was selling goods without paying tribute (taxation) to the State. Clearly that violation is worthy of execution by choke hold.

Shoot him?..in the legs? ..and he'd "still be alive"? You realize there are arteries in your legs and you could bleed out in a couple of minutes?..shoot him..LMFAO....

You watch a lot of tv, right?

The artery that can bleed out in a matter of minutes is in the inner thigh. Kneecapping someone doesn't cause death. There are methods of restraining the fat without killing them. If LAPD can figure it out, so can NYPD. The Chief of Police is Bill Bratton who used to be Chief of LAPD. He knows. In this case, the comparatively diminutive police were both outclassed by a combative perp. They must restrain him. Chokeholds kill the obese. They have to do something.

Forum List

Back