This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Partisanship is sometimes more extreme in times of crisis than it is in times of calm. We seem to be seeing some of this here in Ohio, as our new GOP governor gets ready for the 2011/2012 budget year.

Ohio faces a $8 Billion shortfall just this year, and our outgoing Democratic governor had suggested we look at cutting the Law Enforcement and Corrections budget to help address it. Specifically, he suggested we look at delisting nonviolent felonies -- changing them into misdemeanors or eliminating the criminal penalty altogether.

This idea was roundly denounced by our predominately GOP state legislature. "Soft on crime", they cried.

Guess what is now the hot new idea for curbing the Law Enforcement and Corrections budget?

Now, I'll grant that decriminalizing nonviolent offenses isn't Kasich's only proposal to trim the budget. He is also interested in privatizing prisons and reducing recidivism. Nevertheless, it is fucking annoying that the same lawmakers who condemned this proposal coming from a Democrat are applauding it now that a Republican is making it. The lawmakers in this state need to lay aside their partisan bullshit and do what is necessary to get this state up off its knees.

Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland sets himself up as a softie on crime: Round the Rotunda | cleveland.com

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/02/new_probation_rules_not_jailin.html

BTW, it is time to consider repealing Ohio's death penalty. Mebbe it costs more than we can afford now......we should at least study on it.

Or are the current crop of lawmakers afraid their opponents will do to them what they did to their opponents?

Partisan bullshit is bad for Ohio.

Last edited:
Im always amazed that despite the size of any budget, the first thing they look at are law enforcement.

Isn't there anything else that would be better?

And thank you for coming to the defense of NeoCons.

There really is nothing more one can add to their treachery.

And thank you for coming to the defense of NeoCons.

There really is nothing more one can add to their treachery.

Who is defending anyone?

I am just commenting on your total lack of substance on the topic of this thread.

BTW, maybe we shouldn't have nice things. I mean if we aren't willing to work for them. Why should we have them?

Im always amazed that despite the size of any budget, the first thing they look at are law enforcement.

It may not have been the first thing, Avatar. Our situation is so dire I'm sure they are looking at all budget items. But for most states, Law Enforcement and Corrections is the number two budget item in size, after Medicaid and other social programs. And in Ohio, as elsewhere, these costs have been rising at an alarming rate.

Lemme guess?

Money to social programs that helps the poor?

Oh, and a tax cut!

Lemme guess?

Money to social programs that helps the poor?

Oh, and a tax cut!

Seems rather obvious that you cut luxaries before necessities like Law enforcement.

I don't think they should decriminalize anything. I think there are likely ways to eliminate corruption and costs without that.

Why dont you make prisoners work rather than keep them in cells all day? Maybe cut out movie night. Or television altogether. Make the prisons self sustaining. Doing that you can teach the prisoners good qualities like hard work.

We shouldn't be punishing people who steal by giving them three meals a day and a place to sleep for free. We shouldn't be punish drug users and drug dealers by locking them up together so they can make more contacts.

When I say maybe we don't need the nice things, I am saying that we need to learn how to be people who don't have everything but live within their means.

Forum List

Back