This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Putting profits into the prison system guarantees that we'll need more prisoners.

Privatizing Prisons is a BAD idea.

I dun know all that much about Corrections, theDoctorisIn. Why's it a bad idea?

As soon as there's profit involved, lobbyists will push for more laws, and harsher penalties. Judges will be bribed to send people to prison.

It fucks the system up even more, and it's pretty fucked up to begin with.

Im always amazed that despite the size of any budget, the first thing they look at are law enforcement.

Isn't there anything else that would be better?

Lemme guess?

Money to social programs that helps the poor?

Oh, and a tax cut!

Exp;lain to us dummies why when a State has a deficit it should NOT consider cuts to Social Programs?

When you can provide a quote where I say they should not be considered I will gladly explain.

The one crime everyone is proposing we delist is failure to pay child support. I will admit, I have mixed feelings about this. I'd like to know there will be other means to coerce parents into paying, but I also admit, some parents cannot pay and the imprisonment seems like an unconstitutional debtor's prison in those cases.

Any ideas, guys?

BTW, maybe we shouldn't have nice things. I mean if we aren't willing to work for them. Why should we have them?

Can you translate this so it applies to Corrections, Avatar?

Are you saying states with budget deficits should have to decriminalize more behavior?

I think it's good they're considering that. There are way too many things that are felonies today.

Im always amazed that despite the size of any budget, the first thing they look at are law enforcement.

Lemme guess?

Oh, and a tax cut!

Exp;lain to us dummies why when a State has a deficit it should NOT consider cuts to Social Programs?

When you make cuts to the poor you create an even bigger problem, surely there are other things to cut

Lemme guess?

Oh, and a tax cut!

When you make cuts to the poor you create an even bigger problem, surely there are other things to cut

WHo is talking about "making cuts to the poor"? This is the usual canard liberals trot out when cuts are proposed.
Surely you have something more original.

The one crime everyone is proposing we delist is failure to pay child support. I will admit, I have mixed feelings about this. I'd like to know there will be other means to coerce parents into paying, but I also admit, some parents cannot pay and the imprisonment seems like an unconstitutional debtor's prison in those cases.

Any ideas, guys?

yeah. live a good life so you dont need the government to coerce you into anything.

But no one listens to me:)

Hi Madelline,

I think if you look closely it is education that is number one on the budget list followed by public safety etc. etc. etc.

We too are having a budget crisis of around 3 billion dollars and all the state workers want a personal income tax initiated (Nevada has neve had one) and they whine that they are being forced to accept a 5% pay cut. Even though it has been revealed they are paid, on average, 25% MORE than a worker doing the same job in the private sector.

Once that was revealed they lost a LOT of suport.

Its like school districts where the first thing the offer up for budget cuts are the football team and busing.

You offer up those things the people will howl the loudest about.

NeoCons are psychopaths....really they are.

I'd call them sociopathic, of course, but what's in a name?

Point is, all the short bus people we've elected need to worry more about us peons out here in reality-ville and less about their own glorification. If an idea has merit, it has merit no matter which side found it first.

Lemme guess?

Oh, and a tax cut!

POLICE FORCES ARE a SOCIAL PROGRAM, too, folks.

I am happy to consider cutting social programs, just as I am any other budget item. There are doubtless frills and waste we could eliminate. But I'm not willing to risk the lives and health of the poor -- some cuts are just too deep.

Nighttime basketball cut? Fine. Lead paint abatement? No fucking way.

BTW, maybe we shouldn't have nice things. I mean if we aren't willing to work for them. Why should we have them?

This is worthy of discussion. yes?
Why SHOULD we have "nice things?"
FUCK, we PAY for them and shit, right?

No actually, we don't. That's the problem.

Well, Ohio has balanced budget constitutional requirement, Avatar. This deficit cannot be avoided, one painful way or another.

I am happy to consider cutting social programs, just as I am any other budget item. There are doubtless frills and waste we could eliminate. But I'm not willing to risk the lives and health of the poor -- some cuts are just too deep.

Given that people lived with lead for about 50 years or more, how much actual good does their "lead paint abatement" program actually do?
I realize that asking for results from programs is tantamount to advocating child slavery for some folks. But maybe, just maybe, someone ought to consider that a program to do such and such and actually doing such and such are not the same thing.

Given that people lived with lead for about 50 years or more, how much actual good does their "lead paint abatement" program actually do?
I realize that asking for results from programs is tantamount to advocating child slavery for some folks. But maybe, just maybe, someone ought to consider that a program to do such and such and actually doing such and such are not the same thing.

*Sigh*

I suppose we could bring back polio as well, The Rabbi. People "used to live with that" as well.

My word, but you can be obnoxious, you know that?

Forum List

Back