This farmer shows why Trump is right about the EPA and how monstrous it has become....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
A farmer plows land that he owns.....and now faces a 2.8 million dollar fine........for plowing his own land....

this is why the EPA needs to be reduced in size and scope...it has turned into a frankenstein's monster...

California Farmer Faces 2.8M Fine For Plowing His Own Field

Five years ago, John Duarte bought 450 acres of land near Redding, California, so he could grow wheat.

Because the tract of land has several wetlands and low, marshy areas, Duarte hired a consulting firm to map out where he wasn’t supposed to plow because the land was part of the drainage system for the nearby creeks.

He did this because the drainage area is considered part of the “waters of the United States” and federal law strictly regulates what is done there.

He tried to avoid most of it, but he admits some of the waters got plowed to a depth of 4-7 inches.

Because of this mistake, and because of a tiny creature called the Vernal Pool Fairy Shrimp, Duarte is facing a $2.8 million fine.

This freshwater species of shrimp is unique to California and southern Oregon and has been classified as a threatened species since 1994 because much of its wetlands in California’s Central Valley were converted to cropland or became urban. It’s about the size of a salad shrimp.

Duarte was trying to be a responsible conservator of the land. His lawyer contends that farmers plowing their fields are specifically exempt from the Clean Water Act rules forbidding discharging material into U.S. waters.

But get this: The U.S. Attorney’s office claims that Duarte’s tractor was not plowing the field. Rather, it was equipped with a ripper that had seven 36-inch shanks, which dug an average of 10 inches deep into the soil.

According to the farmer, the law says he can plow. What's the big deal?

Really he should be able to do whatever he wants on his own property.

I was with him until the disturbance of the Vernal Pool Fairy Shrimp revelations came up. How callous.

Seriously though, it wasn't too bright to buy land for farming with designated federal wet lands. You gotta know that's a big red flag.
Probably got it cheap, like BLM land...

Never once in the article was the EPA mentioned, just the Corps of Engineers...
If I was him, I would have had the dept of Agriculture come out, survey and mark where the sowing could be done..
My parents had to replace trees in 1983, they took down some trees they thought were on their side of the property line next to the shoreline controlled by the Corps....Gotta wtch and cover your ass when dealing with govt. or big business....They can rip you a new one..

Never once in the article was the EPA mentioned, just the Corps of Engineers...
If I was him, I would have had the dept of Agriculture come out, survey and mark where the sowing could be done..
My parents had to replace trees in 1983, they took down some trees they thought were on their side of the property line next to the shoreline controlled by the Corps....Gotta wtch and cover your ass when dealing with govt. or big business....They can rip you a new one..
I have a news hero, your parents

Preservation of obscure and insignificant species is crucial for the future of Mother Earth.

Just look at what a mess is without dinosaurs,

Or dodo birds, Or passenger pigeons.

The pseudo science of Darwin seems to be completely forgotten by EPA.
You know, the survival of the fittest?

Preservation of obscure and insignificant species is crucial for the future of Mother Earth.

Just look at what a mess is without dinosaurs,

Or dodo birds, Or passenger pigeons.

The pseudo science of Darwin seems to be completely forgotten by EPA.
You know, the survival of the fittest?
Somehow, they dont regard things mankind does as part of Nature any more.

1. Why would a multimillionaire spend millions to buy land and after the fact hire a consultant?

2. Seems Duarte and his company have done this before and gotten away with it.

Google Scholar

I was with him until the disturbance of the Vernal Pool Fairy Shrimp revelations came up. How callous.

Seriously though, it wasn't too bright to buy land for farming with designated federal wet lands. You gotta know that's a big red flag.
no, not really. Farmers plow around various features all the time. And you have to understand...sometimes these spots that the feds make such a big deal about are tiny fucking spots...a wetland is any place that has standing water that birds or other creatures use...well ANY water hosts creatures. This is just more of the same press to seize control of all our resources.

He disturbed protected waterways...

How does one grow wheat in waterways?
Ask the Inca Indians they made islands on grew food..

Try that again in English this time or knock off the mind-altering substances while posting.

No, it does not say he can plow wetlands. It was designated wetlands when he purchased it. Apparently he thought he was above the law, and proceeded to plow it.

Forum List

Back