"This Dog, "Teddy" is a felon"

hqdefault.jpg

Actor Jake Gyllenhaal has made this utube of his Golden Retriever and German Shepard, "Boo" and "Atticus."
And, I thought I was getting carried away. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Love to post about Teddy. We are really kind of on hold until next Friday when he gets his session with the Petco trainer/sensitivity expert. Twice when out for walks, Teddy heard dogs, stopped in his tracks and would not move ~ FROZEN ON THE SPOT. I was afraid to pull too hard on his pronged collar. Fortunately, my wife was following behind in the Jeep, and Teddy jumped in.

prongcollar.jpg

Teddy's neck hair is so thick it does not
hurt him, unless we get into tug-o-war.

No more walks until after that. We have cleared the back yard, installed gates from the deck, replaced oriental rugs with cheap carpet remnants and leave the back door open so he can come and go as he chooses. The house is now one giant kennel. Praise god for Prego floors! Right now it is swiffer and vacuum every day. I do it because I want my wife to bond more strongly to Teddy. I believe a quiet house with accommodating adults is the key. We are informed that Teddy may prefer men to women, so we are making a big effort for my wife ~ petting, dog treats, and toys! I now give nothing but play and petting.

you dont have to use that harsh a collar.....he is a golden....given love he will give so much love in return ....you just dont know how lucky you are right now...you will come to know the love of a golden it is like no other dog love..and i am a doberman person

I know the collars are controversial but - when you have a 103 lb dog, it can be hard for a small person to control - especially if it's a giant love bug at the end of the leash :)

It's a wrong thing to use.
With correct training you don't need that collar.
I am a very small person but I had complete control over my 175 lb dog, with just a regular nylon collar and a leash.

Love to post about Teddy. We are really kind of on hold until next Friday when he gets his session with the Petco trainer/sensitivity expert. Twice when out for walks, Teddy heard dogs, stopped in his tracks and would not move ~ FROZEN ON THE SPOT. I was afraid to pull too hard on his pronged collar. Fortunately, my wife was following behind in the Jeep, and Teddy jumped in.

prongcollar.jpg

Teddy's neck hair is so thick it does not
hurt him, unless we get into tug-o-war.

No more walks until after that. We have cleared the back yard, installed gates from the deck, replaced oriental rugs with cheap carpet remnants and leave the back door open so he can come and go as he chooses. The house is now one giant kennel. Praise god for Prego floors! Right now it is swiffer and vacuum every day. I do it because I want my wife to bond more strongly to Teddy. I believe a quiet house with accommodating adults is the key. We are informed that Teddy may prefer men to women, so we are making a big effort for my wife ~ petting, dog treats, and toys! I now give nothing but play and petting.

you dont have to use that harsh a collar.....he is a golden....given love he will give so much love in return ....you just dont know how lucky you are right now...you will come to know the love of a golden it is like no other dog love..and i am a doberman person

I know the collars are controversial but - when you have a 103 lb dog, it can be hard for a small person to control - especially if it's a giant love bug at the end of the leash :)

You need the collar, Beachboy. Retrievers have a high tolerance for pain and it's virtually impossible for you to cause pain to the dog with it unless you actually hung him with it according to my vet, trainer, and boarder. The collar is slip-proof and that's the useful part. Dogs are rambunctious and need reminders more than discipline if they are of the correct temperament.

I'm not sure you're doing you or Teddy any favors by allowing him to sleep in your bed because that confuses them some (the pack leader sleeps there and that should not be him). But most of the time it doesn't cause a problem.

70x50 is too small for a dog that size without some real running exercise elsewhere. Try to find a place to set up a long dog run, 200 feet or more. A few time a month he needs to get up a full sustained sprint, faster than you can run with him. You can make it using a leash, a snap link, some 1/4" cable, cable clamps, and two heavy duty spiral stakes.

Here are links for all you need:

3/8" X 200', 7x19, Vinyl Coated Galvanized Cable Reel

Light Duty Stainless Steel Thimbles

3/8" Light Duty Wire Rope Thimble

3/8" Electro Galvanized Spring Snap Link

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-24-Inch-Spiral-Tie-Out-100lbs/dp/B00EQ2B9M6]Amazon.com: Favorite 24-Inch Red Heavy Duty Spiral Stake with Red Tie-Out Cable for Large Dogs (20ft 50lbs): Pet Supplies[/ame]

Last edited:

I am a very small person but I had complete control over my 175 lb dog, with just a regular nylon collar and a leash.

If that's the case then you are fortunate. The problem with normal collars is that any dog can slip out of it whenever it wants to, and dogs in training often want to slip from their collars to go play. That's why these collars were required equipment for our dog's training.

It really depends on the individual dog and the person on the other end of the leash. Not everyone is a great trainer, not every dog is sensitive. Many of our students, are average pet owners and aren't going to put in the time or consistency to get decent loose lead walking with a buckle collar. They need something that they can use now to control the dog and prong collars, when used correctly are just one of many tools that work. It's not for every dog, but it's a lot more humane than a choke collar.

If that's the case then you are fortunate. The problem with normal collars is that any dog can slip out of it whenever it wants to, and dogs in training often want to slip from their collars to go play. That's why these collars were required equipment for our dog's training.

We use the no-slip martingale collars a lot as well, dogs can't back out of them and they have a limit on how tight they get (unlike a choke collar). I've also found front fastening harness' to be effective.

They're all tools in the toolbox and every team is unique. A trainer needs to be flexible. The only tool I do not like are e-collars. They are too often used and misused as a short cut in training, are easily misused and can do horrendous damage.

excuse me dude,,,i have a 85 lb to 95 lb doberman depending on his fattness of the month.....

and i use a nylon collar and leash....but coyote is right ....he can slip out of it...a problem with damned dobermans...they got this thick neck...slim neck..slim head and right over the head that collar goes...

you are wrong to cold shoulder the golden....that confuses him and leads to poor training...reward him for good behavior and a short scold for bad behavior.....they are velour dogs for a reason

excuse me dude,,,i have a 85 lb to 95 lb doberman depending on his fattness of the month.....

and i use a nylon collar and leash....but coyote is right ....he can slip out of it...a problem with damned dobermans...they got this thick neck...slim neck..slim head and right over the head that collar goes...

you are wrong to cold shoulder the golden....that confuses him and leads to poor training...reward him for good behavior and a short scold for bad behavior.....they are velour dogs for a reason

Have you tried this type of collar?

shopping

shopping

I have. Gracie slips right out of it.

RkGLIY4.jpg

shopping

RkGLIY4.jpg

Houdini! :lol:

This is going to get interesting. We meet for a private session with the Petco Sensitivity Trainer. Previously, she had indicated that large dogs have a lot of fur around their necks, and a pronged collar would give control without hurting the dog.

When Teddy froze, and would not move, I could see from the look on his face that he was fighting pain to stay frozen. This is the real purpose of our Friday meeting with her.

Thank you for your post. The more information we receive the better decisions we can make for Teddy.

While Teddy clearly likes to chase cats. He scared the heck out of one hiding behind a pine tree yesterday. Fortunately, for the cat Teddy was focused on chasing a ball I threw near the tree.

To be fair, my wife thinks I should post something nice and funny about cats, so it is.

Teddy is still getting used to living here, (today is day 16), and he seems comfortable. As weather permits we leave the back door open for him to come in or out as he sees fit. Last night he was lounging on the deck in the dark. This morning there were five bird feathers on the deck. :eusa_pray:

Can't really blame Teddy, he has 200 years of retriever breeding to pick up birds without damaging them with his teeth. Last night? Well, who knows, but we decided not to ask any questions.

We think Teddy is territorial because the home before us had a nine year old Golden that was very territorial, and Teddy was gone in two weeks. Their loss, our gain!

Last edited by a moderator:

You need the collar, Beachboy. Retrievers have a high tolerance for pain and it's virtually impossible for you to cause pain to the dog with it unless you actually hung him with it according to my vet, trainer, and boarder. The collar is slip-proof and that's the useful part. Dogs are rambunctious and need reminders more than discipline if they are of the correct temperament.

I'm not sure you're doing you or Teddy any favors by allowing him to sleep in your bed because that confuses them some (the pack leader sleeps there and that should not be him). But most of the time it doesn't cause a problem.

70x50 is too small for a dog that size without some real running exercise elsewhere. Try to find a place to set up a long dog run, 200 feet or more. A few time a month he needs to get up a full sustained sprint, faster than you can run with him. You can make it using a leash, a snap link, some 1/4" cable, cable clamps, and two heavy duty spiral stakes.

Here are links for all you need:

3/8" X 200', 7x19, Vinyl Coated Galvanized Cable Reel

Light Duty Stainless Steel Thimbles

3/8" Light Duty Wire Rope Thimble

3/8" Electro Galvanized Spring Snap Link

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-24-Inch-Spiral-Tie-Out-100lbs/dp/B00EQ2B9M6"]Amazon.com: Favorite 24-Inch Red Heavy Duty Spiral Stake with Red Tie-Out Cable for Large Dogs (20ft 50lbs): Pet Supplies[/ame]

Thank you for taking the time to provide so much information. All this will be considered when we meet with the trainer on Friday. I also ordered a copy of "The Idiot's Guide to Golden Retrievers" for four bucks used and delivered. So, I am eager to dig into that.

6784585809_ca4181d248_m.jpg

From Google Images

The issue of allowing Teddy in bed came to a head this morning. Because of the time difference with our New York office, I have to be at my desk at 6AM one week a month, and this is that week. At 3:30 this morning I was up, and so was Teddy. He decided it was time to play. (Now you see why my wife sleeps in her own bedroom these days).

Teddy was the most frisky I have seen him, and demanded attention, (he always demands attention :lol:). It was "Turkey Tummy" time.

We all know how children can make up their own words and terms. As a child when our German Shepard, "Fritz," would lay on his back, his chest looked like a big Thanksgiving turkey. So, when I would rub his belly, I would say "Turkey Tummy" and get him all hyped up.

Well, Teddy is in on the Turkey Tummy thing, (the visiting spirit of Fritz?), and he was all over that bed, where my wife sleeps, where I sleep, on the pillows. It was at twenty minutes of Turkey Tummy! Even though it was the middle of the night, I laughed through every minute of it! :lol: All my sheets and comforter are in the wash now. A small price to pay for quality entertainment!

I have decided to write this off as "family fun." Besides, I am noticing a change in myself. My people are "Corpies" (Fortune 500 career oriented). The problem with being a Corpy is that you live for tomorrow, design programs that will take three years to complete, and always have a five year plan.

Teddy lives for the moment, and forces me to do the same. I like this feeling of emotional freedom. I am much more casual at work. Coyote's words have found a place in our home, "Giant Love Bug." It is a lot more than just words, you have to feel it to understand it.

We use the no-slip martingale collars a lot as well, dogs can't back out of them and they have a limit on how tight they get (unlike a choke collar). I've also found front fastening harness' to be effective.

They're all tools in the toolbox and every team is unique. A trainer needs to be flexible. The only tool I do not like are e-collars. They are too often used and misused as a short cut in training, are easily misused and can do horrendous damage.

Thank you for your input. You must love these Giant Love Bugs! It is hard to resist their demands for attention!

AnimatedGIF-SweetPuppyBlinkingWaggi.gif

Last edited:

shopping

RkGLIY4.jpg

Due to USMB, we will be reviewing collars on Friday. I really appreciate this input. There is so much misinformation out there. It is a long story, but Teddy's rabies and other shots are not verifiable. I talked to my neighbor's vet, and he said,"Even if he was vaccinated ten days ago, we will do it again now."

I dumped the guy after hearing from Vet, Lori Granger, that offers 24/7 ambulance pick up of sick or injured dogs. Lori said, "No, I will not give the dog shots again after ten days. I will address the city dog license people for you." Needless to say Lori Granger is Teddy's vet at $75 a visit. Lori has Teddy on Thyroid Meds, and requires a level test every six weeks. She seems to address dog health the way my primary care physician does.

The Petco manager, Erika, says, "If you ever hear a vet say, 'Let's try this.' Get rid of them." A vet who knows what they are doing will tell us precisely what to due for a dog health problem.

Female-Veterinarian-Dog-80954.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back